Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Seiko

Hello gentlemen,

I heard briefly about GS and the Spring Drive movement.

Can anyone help to explain and why is it worth that price? I like some of their designs so am thinking of getting but hesitant if it's really worth that price for the movement. Brand wise is a perspective so that doesn't matter.

Thanks.
    "Many a man thinks he is buying pleasure, when he is really selling himself to it." - Benjamin Franklin

No reply in this thread sums up the Grand Seiko popularity...
    "Many a man thinks he is buying pleasure, when he is really selling himself to it." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Let me try.
      I do not have a GS but have owned a Spring Drive (model SNR 013) for a few years.
      The unique mechanism and extreme accuracy of the watch are the main attractions for me. If you have not done so, I encourage you hold a spring drive up-close and see the ultra-smooth sweep of the second hand - it is sight to behold, something that even the Pateks, the Jeager or the Langes have not achieved.
      The down side are:
      a) People will think you are weird (or even stupid) to pay $5000 -$7000 for a Seiko
      b) Poor resale value compared to a Rolex
      c) Service & repairs can only be done in Japan, so expect turnaround time of at least 3 months and to pay more than $700
      d) The long term reliability of the Spring Drive is unknown, as they were launched only in 2005. Recently, my watch stopped running despite the Power Reserve showing at least 30 hours left - it is now having its long spa session in Japan!

Comment

If you wanted a GS, getting a spring-drive is perhaps the best option as such truly differentiates GS movements from other in-house movements. It is a technology synonymous to GS and offers you accuracy and precision that none other mechanical watches can claim close.

As to whether is it worth the price .....this is really subjective. Is an ETA-based PAM worth its price ?

Comment

Originally posted by notelover View Post
          No reply in this thread sums up the Grand Seiko popularity...
          There is a Seiko forum. Grand Seiko is popular, just whether you asking correct group of people.
          My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
          Rolex Submariner 16610
          Rolex Submariner 116610
          Rolex Date 1550
          IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
          IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
          Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
          Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
          Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
          Seiko Sumo SBDC001
          Seiko Sumo SBDC003
          Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
          Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate your replies.

I am considering a SD GMT. See how then.

Comment

Originally posted by notelover View Post
              Thanks guys. Appreciate your replies.

I am considering a SD GMT. See how then.
              I have took the plunge (arrgh). Wait for my sharing and pics!

Comment

well done! only pple in the circle will appreciate Grand Seiko.

I went for a GS function in 2010 and i am impressed and humble by the heritage and horological advancement of the GS and Spring drive.

http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/2010...-grandeur.html

As one guy pointed out, in this part of Asia, Seiko is still viewed as a "cheap" watch. Sad, but true.

Seiko was one of the brands i was crazy about during my early days into the hobby. i still love my Seikos!

"because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
                http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Check out this gathering.

http://peter-chong.blogspot.com/2010...singapore.html
                  My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                  Rolex Submariner 16610
                  Rolex Submariner 116610
                  Rolex Date 1550
                  Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                  Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                  Seiko Sumo SBDC003

Comment

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
                    yes, same event.

i think it is events such as this that raise the awarness of GS.

i am not yet a GS ownwer myself but hopefully will be one day

"because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
                    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kohym View Post
                      yes, same event.

i think it is events such as this that raise the awarness of GS.

i am not yet a GS ownwer myself but hopefully will be one day
                      There was also a Seiko 130th Aniverversary Exhibition last year.... Lots more places sell GS now.

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/76160-...ary-Exhibition
                      My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                      Rolex Submariner 16610
                      Rolex Submariner 116610
                      Rolex Date 1550
                      Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                      Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                      Seiko Sumo SBDC003

Comment

Proud GS SBGR061 owner here, keeping good time of ~ +3 sec a day!

Comment

i think seiko is finally realising marketing and exposure is important to build brand value among the general consumer. there is more advertising abt GS in the past 2 years (outside Japan) than the 50 years since it existed.

for example nobody knows that the tag caliber 1887 is a seiko based movement. yet the carrera flies off the shelf much faster than the GS because lewis hamilton is on the poster.

Comment

GS is probably one of the most under-valued brand. The quality of the finishing and the accuracy of the movement puts many Swiss brands to shame. And for the price they are charging, it is great value for money.

If you notice the GS Spring Drive, the second hand is so smooth you don't see the jerking on other mechanical watches. The quality of the finishing on the GS range is exceptional. Hand finished.

Congrats on your acquisition. Wear it in good health!

Comment

Originally posted by ticktockforever View Post
                              GS is probably one of the most under-valued brand. The quality of the finishing and the accuracy of the movement puts many Swiss brands to shame. And for the price they are charging, it is great value for money.

If you notice the GS Spring Drive, the second hand is so smooth you don't see the jerking on other mechanical watches. The quality of the finishing on the GS range is exceptional. Hand finished.

Congrats on your acquisition. Wear it in good health!
                              Unfortunately, most of the time, i.e. anything more than $1k, we are literally paying for branding and marketing. Most watches seriously doesn't cost that much to make. I can see how lucrative watch businesses are with such high mark-ups.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X