Shopping for watches in foreign countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by time-traveller View Post
    Can anyone here share their experience/s on a buying trip overseas?
    What did you get and how did you also pay for it?
    I travel all over over asia and the states, I brought a watch from Indonesia and Vietnam both rolex. everything is the same paid by credit card.

Comment

• My friend stop over at Doha and picked up a gmt, prices are definitely cheaper there

Comment

• For models that are not so in demand, Singapore has higher chances of grabbing good deals, especially if you have good relationship with the AD. You can even go for interest free instalments to maximize your credit card rebates(eg, UOB One). Can't do that overseas. For overseas;

-Switzerland

Pros: Great feeling to buy there and makes your purchase more meaningful and sentimental. Higher chances of finding high demand models. You pay the net amount after VAT. This means that you incur less credit card charges as compared to other countries where you pay the full price and incur higher credit card charges for the purchase and charged again when the VAT is refunded to your credit card. It's a safer country as compared to other European countries so basically you walk out of the shop without having to worry about being targeted by some pickpockets and robbers. The retail price before discount and VAT is commonly slightly lower than Singapore after conversion(for my case). Most of the time your net purchase after all the VAT and credit card charges will be roughly the price with "standard discount". For eg, 5% discount for Rolex sports models.

Cons: Strict price control so no amount of bargaining will help lower the price that they offer you, unless if you pay more or full cash. VAT % lesser than other European countries. This is a major limitation is you are spending more than $20,000 on your watch there.

-Italy, Belgium, and some other European countries.

Pros: Higher VAT, especially if you are spending a huge amount at one shot.

Cons: Better be alert the moment you carry your new purchase out of the shop, until you reach your hotel. If you are not spending a huge amount on the watch, the VAT will be lower and the credit card charges imposed twice will affect your "final purchase price". Chances of not being to get high demand models is higher.

-Dubai

I have asked the prices of some models of different brands there before and I don't personally feel it's cheaper to get there.

-Hong Kong

Many members feedback that they had gotten great deals there. I haven't experienced it myself. However, price aside, of course the feeling isn't as "siok" as compared to getting the watch in Europe.

-New Zealand:

I asked for the price of a SS Daytona in Dec 2015 and March 2016 when I went there. To my surprise the price offered was attractive but no stock.

Summary: Where price is concerned, normally it's best to buy the watch in Singapore if it is not high in demand and you have got more paying options. If you are spending around $10K or less on the watch, normally there isn't a big difference between buying the watch in Switzerland or other European countries. Other European countries, slightly higher VAT but higher retail price(for my case) after conversion and two times credit card charges. Switzerland lower VAT but lower retail price(for my case) after conversion and you incur credit card charge only once. So after the plus and minus they are almost the same. However if you are spending a high amount(eg, above $20K), countries like Italy likely to be cheaper due to high VAT.

Therefore in my humble opinion, ask for the price in Singapore before going overseas, and when you reach there, as long as the price is better than Singapore price, I think it's good enough because it's hard to get the best of the best deal and you won't know whether there are stocks available elsewhere. After all you pay for it only once, but you enjoy the watch for life...

Comment

• i think in asia the best prices for wathces are still in Hong Kong.

Comment

• Just returned from London on business. Rolex GMT & Subs are all out of stock.. With a 3 month waitlist! Called every store on the Rolex AD list too. Only left with preowned.

Prices were est. SGD$9,000 - $9,500 after tax refunds for both 116610 and 116710 blacks. The local ADs were saying Rolex are planning to increase prices (due to both GBP depreciation & increase in demand), and therefore were holding back on sending more stock out.

Comment

• What are the chances of getting a 'modded' Rolex in Hong Kong?? I was told there is a risk.

Comment

• Any idea is PP in HG is cheaper than Singapore? Thanks.

Comment

• England and Sweden looks to be the best deals for tourists shopping for Rolex at the moment. Iirc Sweden has a 25% refundable VAT and England with 20%.

Comment

• buy from Swiss why expensive then in Sg?

Comment

• Originally posted by strayvector View Post
                      England and Sweden looks to be the best deals for tourists shopping for Rolex at the moment. Iirc Sweden has a 25% refundable VAT and England with 20%.
                      Concur on your recommendation to buy from UK. Even with the 10% price hike, u still get a good deal compared to local (SGP) pricing.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X