Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Speedmaster Pro (Used or BNIB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Speedmaster Pro (Used or BNIB)

Hi guys, complete stranger to Omega, but recently fell in love with the above (a bit late. LOL). There seems to be many variations too. (Pattern more than badminton).

Was thinking of either used 3750.50 (discontinued) or BNIB (d. Only concern is if I buy used, the servicing that will cost an arm or leg.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by panerai7776 View Post
    Hi guys, complete stranger to Omega, but recently fell in love with the above (a bit late. LOL). There seems to be many variations too. (Pattern more than badminton).

Was thinking of either used 3750.50 (discontinued) or BNIB (d. Only concern is if I buy used, the servicing that will cost an arm or leg.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    If it's gotta be a speedy, you won't go wrong with the Moonwatch. My preference goes to the older 3590.50 with an 861 calibre (with the old school bracelet) over the newer 1861 variants. Prefer the old school look of the case + Hesalite crystal and comfortable taper of the older style bracelets. I find that the contemporary bracelets, though tougher, do not wear quite as comfortable.

Daily winding of the watch is something you'll need to consider as well. There are many who thought they can accept winding the watch everyday, but somehow, after being pampered by automatic watches over the years, they realised it's a pain, and buyer's remourse sets in thereafter. When you get a brand new manual wind speedy, more likely the strong winding resistance could be a dampener. So if daily winding of the watch turns you off, you might want to consider an automatic Speedmaster with Date.

So far, the Speedy Pro movements are reliable and some say 'bullet-proof'. I'd bought and traded off more than 10 manual wind speedys over the years and never had any problem with the chronograph nor time keeping. The 861 Speedy Pro that I have was well worn over the last 25 years, and have never been serviced, still running decent.

Worst case, if you're unlucky and the one you bought has some problems, servicing doesn't have to cost you an arm nor leg. Reliable 3rd party watchmakers in Singapore can service the movement easily at much less than $300. You just have to read the forums to know which are the ones to go to.

There are many variations of the Moonwatch yes, and a few of my personal favourites are the Speedy 50th Anniversary Patch, Apollo 11 Panda, Speedy Pro 861, Speedy Japan Racing, Speedy Racing TinTin. These do not cost a lot more than your regular 3570.50 IMO.

End of the day, compared to preowned Rolex, I'd say the Speedy Pros are kinda undervalued. Hence, I'll go for a pre-owned Speedy anytime.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
    --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Destro22BT View Post
      If it's gotta be a speedy, you won't go wrong with the Moonwatch. My preference goes to the older 3590.50 with an 861 calibre (with the old school bracelet) over the newer 1861 variants. Prefer the old school look of the case + Hesalite crystal and comfortable taper of the older style bracelets. I find that the contemporary bracelets, though tougher, do not wear quite as comfortable.

Daily winding of the watch is something you'll need to consider as well. There are many who thought they can accept winding the watch everyday, but somehow, after being pampered by automatic watches over the years, they realised it's a pain, and buyer's remourse sets in thereafter. When you get a brand new manual wind speedy, more likely the strong winding resistance could be a dampener. So if daily winding of the watch turns you off, you might want to consider an automatic Speedmaster with Date.

So far, the Speedy Pro movements are reliable and some say 'bullet-proof'. I'd bought and traded off more than 10 manual wind speedys over the years and never had any problem with the chronograph nor time keeping. The 861 Speedy Pro that I have was well worn over the last 25 years, and have never been serviced, still running decent.

Worst case, if you're unlucky and the one you bought has some problems, servicing doesn't have to cost you an arm nor leg. Reliable 3rd party watchmakers in Singapore can service the movement easily at much less than $300. You just have to read the forums to know which are the ones to go to.

There are many variations of the Moonwatch yes, and a few of my personal favourites are the Speedy 50th Anniversary Patch, Apollo 11 Panda, Speedy Pro 861, Speedy Japan Racing, Speedy Racing TinTin. These do not cost a lot more than your regular 3570.50 IMO.

End of the day, compared to preowned Rolex, I'd say the Speedy Pros are kinda undervalued. Hence, I'll go for a pre-owned Speedy anytime.
      Very insightful! Thanks for the valuable input! Cheers!

One last question. Is the Speedy Japan racing that you mentioned, Omega Speedmaster Japan Edition 3513.53.00?

Thanks!

Comment

Very insightful! Thanks for the valuable input! Cheers!

One last question. Is the Speedy Japan racing that you mentioned, Omega Speedmaster Japan Edition 3513.53.00?

Thanks!
        Nope, the Japan Racing Speedy reference is 3570.40.00. For this piece, the watchcase serial number range MUST lie between late 7712XXXX to 7713XXXX, else it's probably a 3570.50 fitted with Japan Racing Dial and Hands.

Japan Racing and Tintin
        --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Nope, the Japan Racing Speedy reference is 3570.40.00. For this piece, the watchcase serial number range MUST lie between late 7712XXXX to 7713XXXX, else it's probably a 3570.50 fitted with Japan Racing Dial and Hands.

Japan Racing and Tintin
          Gilat sia! Thanks for the info! Hope to meet you one day and buy you Kopi to learn more!

Comment

No worries there. Judging by your nick, you're also a Paneristi I presume? Given the price point of Pams, a Speedy Pro isn't exactly an expensive purchase (relatively). If you're used to a Base Luminor Handwound Pam, the daily task of winding up a Speedy will not be a hassle.

And, as I say to all my friends who wants a Rolex Daytona, but feel pain at the immediate thought of burning a hole in their pockets, I'll always tell them this... the Omega Speedy Pro is a great guilt-free alternative to a Rolex Daytona (albeit handwound vs auto). Just grab one to scratch an itch until the cost of a Daytona no longer burns a big hole in the pocket. Afterall, if you grab a preowned Speedy Pro at around $2.7k-$3k, you'd be likely to recover the same amount by the time you sell it. Wear it for free!

If comparing the Daytona vs an auto Speedy, this article helps: Daytona Vs Speedmaster Broadarrow Automatic
            --Groucho Marx--

Comment

No worries there. Judging by your nick, you're also a Paneristi I presume? Given the price point of Pams, a Speedy Pro isn't exactly an expensive purchase (relatively). If you're used to a Base Luminor Handwound Pam, the daily task of winding up a Speedy will not be a hassle.

And, as I say to all my friends who wants a Rolex Daytona, but feel pain at the immediate thought of burning a hole in their pockets, I'll always tell them this... the Omega Speedy Pro is a great guilt-free alternative to a Rolex Daytona (albeit handwound vs auto). Just grab one to scratch an itch until the cost of a Daytona no longer burns a big hole in the pocket. Afterall, if you grab a preowned Speedy Pro at around $2.7k-$3k, you'd be likely to recover the same amount by the time you sell it. Wear it for free!

If comparing the Daytona vs an auto Speedy, this article helps: Daytona Vs Speedmaster Broadarrow Automatic
              Very nice bro! Joined this forum many moons ago. But was inactive for a while. U always have good watches at damn good prices for sale last time I was around. Hopefully you have one to sell too. LOL. Really appreciate your inputs. Cheers!

Comment

Very nice bro! Joined this forum many moons ago. But was inactive for a while. U always have good watches at damn good prices for sale last time I was around. Hopefully you have one to sell too. LOL. Really appreciate your inputs. Cheers!
                Will keep a lookout for you.... or will let you know when I'm ready to sell the few in my collection Cheers!
                --Groucho Marx--

Comment

Will keep a lookout for you.... or will let you know when I'm ready to sell the few in my collection Cheers!

Comment

Enjoyed the read too

Thanks guys
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Anyone has any idea where to find the Speedmaster Pro silver snoopy award? And the damage? I'm in love!

Comment

Anyone has any idea where to find the Speedmaster Pro silver snoopy award? And the damage? I'm in love!
                        Many have tried asking and muscling their way to grab one, and the standard responses from Boutiques and AD's are that 'We'll put your name on the waiting list' i.e. there's no chance of getting it from the AD. List price is 6100 CHF, which after conversion to SGD should be just below S$10k. What I know is that this piece, will very likely land in the hands of VVIP customers and grey dealers, who will then attempt to flip at a handsome profit.

If you want this, do be prepared to shell out over $10k for a piece. Hell, it might even rival the price of what a Rolex Daytona goes for. And in this case, my opinion is to just grab a Daytona mwahahahhahahaha....

Even the previous Eyes on the Stars Snoopy Speedy had been heavily cooked up to trade at $5k-7k thereabouts from what I observe... and I'll have to accept the fact that I've missed the boat (my dealer previously offered me 3 complete sets of Eyes on the Stars Snoopy Speedy at SGD3k each).
                        --Groucho Marx--

Comment

Many have tried asking and muscling their way to grab one, and the standard responses from Boutiques and AD's are that 'We'll put your name on the waiting list' i.e. there's no chance of getting it from the AD. List price is 6100 CHF, which after conversion to SGD should be just below S$10k. What I know is that this piece, will very likely land in the hands of VVIP customers and grey dealers, who will then attempt to flip at a handsome profit.

If you want this, do be prepared to shell out over $10k for a piece. Hell, it might even rival the price of what a Rolex Daytona goes for. And in this case, my opinion is to just grab a Daytona mwahahahhahahaha....

Even the previous Eyes on the Stars Snoopy Speedy had been heavily cooked up to trade at $5k-7k thereabouts from what I observe... and I'll have to accept the fact that I've missed the boat (my dealer previously offered me 3 complete sets of Eyes on the Stars Snoopy Speedy at SGD3k each).
                          I'm devastated......

And you are right. The old snoopy is going for around $6-7k. Im......speechless....

Comment

Just got myself a mint 3560.5. Next target will be panda!

Comment

That's fast! Apollo 11?

Excellent buy! Special edition yet stealth. IIRC, it has the non push button bracelet that is a good balance between the latest bracelet and the old school type.

Wear it in good health!
                              Last edited by Destro22BT; 20-06-15, 04:47 PM.
                              --Groucho Marx--

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X