Oyster Perpetual Gritty Crown Winding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyster Perpetual Gritty Crown Winding

I have acquired a new Oyster Perpetual 116000 with 3130 movement from an AD recently and would like to check the behavior of the crown if anyone faces the same issue as I do.

Initially when the watch was brand new, whenever I tighten the crown by screwing it down finger tight, it was buttery smooth and no audible click or resistance felt.

However after just one week of owning it, whenever I tighten the crown now, it feels gritty as if I am spinning the spring inside the crown with audible ticking/clicking noise while I am screwing it down. Do take note I always screw anti-clockwise before screwing it clockwise to avoid cross-threading, so it is definitely not because of the threads.

Anyone able to shed some light on this if this is normal? I have done extensive research and there are 2 possible reasons I've come across which could be the reason why.

1) The movement is fully wound and hence when tightening the crown it is the spring that is making the audible ticking/clicking. Eventually when the movement unwinds itself over 48hours, it will be buttery smooth again.

or

2) Something is faulty within the movement/crown stem and requires servicing from RSC for some unknown reason.

Which reason would you choose and why?

Hi,

since you have possible 2 options. why not try the first option first and see what happens. if the first one does not resolve your issue, then you may want to consider visiting RSC or any 3rd party trusted watch technician

Originally posted by meisterist View Post
    Anyone able to shed some light on this if this is normal? I have done extensive research and there are 2 possible reasons I've come across which could be the reason why.

1) The movement is fully wound and hence when tightening the crown it is the spring that is making the audible ticking/clicking. Eventually when the movement unwinds itself over 48hours, it will be buttery smooth again.

or

2) Something is faulty within the movement/crown stem and requires servicing from RSC for some unknown reason.

Which reason would you choose and why?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
      Hi,

since you have possible 2 options. why not try the first option first and see what happens. if the first one does not resolve your issue, then you may want to consider visiting RSC or any 3rd party trusted watch technician
      Yeah, currently I am waiting for my power reserve so deplete from 48 hours before I give it a test again. In the meantime, I am trying to gather some feedback from the forum to see if anyone has faced the same issues like me and if this is something normal of a Rolex movement.

Do you personally encounter this issue for your own Rolex?

Comment

So today 48hours power reserve has depleted and I unscrewed the crown and tried tightening it again. The gritty feeling is still present and I have not even wound up the watch after it stopped.

Any ideas?

Comment

there are 2 options for you

1) send to RSC
          2) third party watch technician

Originally posted by meisterist View Post
          So today 48hours power reserve has depleted and I unscrewed the crown and tried tightening it again. The gritty feeling is still present and I have not even wound up the watch after it stopped.

Any ideas?
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X