Eilux Watch Winder Review and Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eilux Watch Winder Review and Repair

In my opinion, Eilux makes one of the best professional winders in the market today. I don’t represent Eilux or any of their distributors nor agents, neither am I paid for this review. I have received a request from a member here to help repair a unit and in that process, took a look inside this wonderfully built unit. So let me give you a review in Part 1 here and followed by repair tips in Part 2 found in my DIY Section (soon).

PART 1 – Eilux Watch Winder Review

I have with me an Eilux Model EW3500, a triple head winder with one dead motor. According to its owner this winder lasted 5 years.

1) External Aesthetics
    The external has a polished high-gloss surface and the whole unit is heavy compared to some winders in the market. This, to me, is a tell-tale sign that it’s made of solid wood and not some plywood or MDF.

Eilux provides a wide, clear Plexi-glass viewing window. As long as it keeps the interior dust-free, we’re all happy.

You won’t really see a ‘boxy’ design as they have taken efforts into the cosmetic aesthetics. It’s something about the way the window slants out and the shape of the top cover coupled with the luxurious gloss that makes this unit appealing.

2) Solid Construction
    Opening the front cover, the hinges (quadrant hinge) are solid but could do better if plated a little thicker. I can see that the ones here have some signs of oxidation. The same can be said for the lock.

3) Interior
    The cheap silsuede interior is nothing to scream about. Perhaps Eilux could switch to a better material such as ultra-suede as used in the previous Wolf Designs winders.

Only the exterior structure is made from wood but most of the interior parts are made from plastics (injection molded). And they include the winding cups, watch mount, front panel and winding cup stand-offs. You’ll see more of these later.

4) Features and Functions
    Each winding head is individually controlled but limited to only its winding direction. Eilux has pre-fixed the TPD (Turns Per Day) to about 900 turns. To know more about Turns Per Day, please read it from my other blog postings.

Another feature thrown in is a selection to make the winder switch-on immediately (after 2 seconds actually) or an auto-off function, in which the winder will stop whenever the front cover is opened.

Other than that, this unit is pretty much straight forward and very user-friendly.

to be continued...
    Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
    • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
    • Montre de MarQue
    • Etoile D'Or
    • Hotel Indonesia
    • Glory Time
    • The Watch-Collector
    • Time Palace
    • The Swiss Connection
    • M Baker
    • Maurice Lacroix
    • Time Marques
    • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Eilux, a Hong Kong based company was formerly called Everwell Instruments. They hold many patent rights to their design and watch winder mechanisms. No matter how hard they try, this Made-in-China product has now multiple replicas floating in the market.

All Eilux Watch Winders features individual winding heads which I favor most. This ensures each individual watch gets the 900 TPD in the correct winding direction. Alas, if only Eilux could provide users with a choice of TPDs, say a low of 600TPD and a high of 900TPD.

5) Noise Level
    There are two kinds of noise I’m usually weary about in a watch winder. The first being mechanical noise. Eilux deploys an expensive and primitive approach when it comes to noise-control. They have mounted the motors far away from the front panel using molded plastic parts. I’ll explain more in PART 2. However, it works smoothly and silently, as it should, during operations. My method of measuring noise of a watch winder is with its front cover closed and from a distance of an arm’s length.

The next type of noise I would test for is the electrical noise. A very simple test can be done by placing this unit next to a television set or the radio. Electrical noise is detected when the screen goes fuzzy or the audio sounds like a motor-boat. This unit displays none of these.

6) Performance – Turns per Day
    Switching it ON, I proceed to time the motor’s RPM. This unit turns at 6.5RPM. From here, I could then calculate the actual estimated TPD as printed in their user manual.

EW3500 has its winding sequence as follow: -

a) Bidirectional Setting
    A winding cup (motor) turns CW 118 seconds, pause 2 seconds, turns CCW 118 seconds, pause 2 seconds… This will be repeated 36 times in a day, giving the CW and CCW directions 460.19 turns each. This adds up to 920.38TPD which is close to its stated 900TPD setting.

b) Unidirectional Setting
    In this setting, the motor turns CW or CCW for 24 minutes and then rest for 216 minutes, repeating 6 times resulting in 936TPD per direction.

(Note: - Please meet me if you are interested in the calculation.)

This confirms that their TPD provided is truly close at 900 unlike other winders in the market where they simply ‘under-declare’ the amount of turns provided by their winders.

For those of you with Rolex watches, please set it to a bidirectional setting as most rollies require up to only 800TPD while Daytona’s require up to 900 TPD. Same goes for Breitling and AP.

Do refer to Eilux website for a list of individual watches winding requirements.

7) Winding Programs
    As I've mentioned, Eilux only provides selection for winding direction. The TPD is factory preset to 900TPD. One important thing to note... always switch off the unit before changing directions. The program needs to be "hard" reset, just like a boot-up in computers. If you change directions while the unit is still ON, the winding sequence will still follow the last set program. Lastly, its also good for the motor's gearing system. Just as an example, when we're driving our car forward we don't immediately change to a reverse gear!

8) Others
    On the down-side, I don’t think Eilux would be suitable for thick bulky watches due to the distance of the plexi-glass cover to the winding cups when closed. Another set-back is the winding cups not able to accept buckles wider than 37mm. Hope someone with a wide watch buckle and an Eilux winder could confirm this.

Conclusion
    But overall, Eilux has a truly well-engineered professional watch winder any watch aficionado would want to own...

to be continued...

• Montre de MarQue
    • Etoile D'Or
    • Hotel Indonesia
    • Glory Time
    • The Watch-Collector
    • Time Palace
    • The Swiss Connection
    • M Baker
    • Maurice Lacroix
    • Time Marques

Comment

Eilux was previously sold under brand names like Hillwood (UK), Ragar (USA), Windertek (USA), Alain Leblanc (USA), Chase Durer (USA), Stauer (USA) and Arca Futura (Japan). Incidently, the brand Eilux derives from Everwell Instruments Luxury.

Unique Features of Eilux Watch Winders

Listed below are key features of the Eilux Watch Winder with my opinion highlighted in blue.

* Super quiet - almost no noise during operation.
      Ans: Motor is kept away from the front surface by a molded ‘stand-off’. Expensive and Primitive but it works! Circuit also has coupling capacitors that keep electrical noise at bay.

* Fuzzy logic winding control system - allow you to set the best winding mode individually for your watches
      Ans: TPD is fixed. Only the DIRECTION mode can be selected. Not the best but acceptable.

* Natural & smooth winding motions - program to mimic real-life body movement
      Ans: The sequence is well thought of and programmed to give only 900TPD unlike other winders in the market which goes as high as 3,800TPD.

* Auto-stop Function - stop automatically once the cover is opened
      Ans: A magnetic reed switch is used. The magnet is embedded in the cover on the lower right-hand side. Some owners actually will shun away when they hear there’s a magnet near their watches.

* Ultra-sophisticated "Super-metal conductor" motor - provide the best winding performance and durable service for the winder
      Ans: This feature puzzles me as I can only see a Mabuchi motor RF-500TB-XXXXX being used. This is the kind of motor also used in many DVD and Blu-ray Players. However, this motor uses precious metal as brushes. Other than that, it’s still a common geared-motor. Just compare this to what Orbita, Scatola, Kubik and Buben & Zorweg uses and you’ll know why the high price.

* Safety - patented insert-type watch mounting system, no drop-off from the winder during operation.
      Ans: The mounting angle is at 60 degrees from horizontal. Even without using this mounting system, the watch will not fall-off.

* Spring-loaded watch holder - Universal watch mount, adjustment-free to mount your timepiece
      Ans: The top surface of this watch-mount could use more padding. The spring loaded inside is a tad too strong. Some believe it might gradually ‘stretch’ the leather bands of a watch. Putting that aside, it does cater to Asian wrist sizes.

* Double-injection Technology – the soft rubbery surface on each watch holder ensure watches are not scratched in any way.
      Ans: This technology first appeared in the early 90’s and not new. But Eilux has put this to good use.

* Professional grade construction - solid & precision construction, stable winding motion and durable service.
      Ans: I do agree that its construction and mechanical design is excellent.

* High performance, shock resistant, stable winding motions and laser calibrated rotor alignments that provide owners with optimal winding angles for their watches.
      Ans: High performance & durable – YES! Shock resistant – YES! Because everything inside is mounted well with screws. Stable winding motions – YES! Because Mabuchi motors are built with quality. Laser calibrated alignment – I think it’s just marketing hype; take a look at the construction inside and you’ll see everything is fixed, with nothing variable to adjust the height or distance with a laser.

* Long battery life - special design to operate the winder approx. 12 months with 2 batteries. The “Power Conserve Circuit” results in a battery life up to three times longer than conventional designs.
      Ans: This model (EW1500) doesn’t have that option. But for those models with this option, the motor selected by Eilux draws only 20mA (no load) without the gear-head and will easily double to more than 40mA when rotating a watch (with load). It’s the winding sequence coupled with the selected motor that makes a longer battery life; not the circuit. Perhaps another marketing hype?

* Compact size - allow you to keep your watch winding even inside the safe box
      Ans: This really depends on the model. The triple winders are about the same size as any common quad winders on the market.

* Smart pilot light - always tell you the operation status with special design pilot beam-light.
      Ans: Most winders on the market (the cheaper range) DO NOT have this. It’s a good indicator for operational status.

* Unique anti-bacterial design prevents the built-up of harmful moisture and mould in the watches’ inner workings and on leather watch straps and metal bands.
      Ans: I can’t tell if silver-ions are really embedded inside, can you?

... to be continued...

• Montre de MarQue
      • Etoile D'Or
      • Hotel Indonesia
      • Glory Time
      • The Watch-Collector
      • Time Palace
      • The Swiss Connection
      • M Baker
      • Maurice Lacroix
      • Time Marques

Comment

Now, before we get too comfortable knowing we’ve made a wise decision in buying an Eilux Watch Winder, there’s something you should be weary of. Always buy from an authorize dealer as there are fake ones floating around.

Let me show you some of them.

Here’s the leather version of an Eilux Winder from one China Manufacturer.

Here’s a similar one from another China Manufacturer.

One tell-tale sign for a replica watch winder is the winding sequence. Do an internet search on the authentic winder’s website to find out the actual winding sequence. Don’t just take information such as Winding sequences or TPD values from the grey-dealers as the biblical truth. Test and calculate them if possible. To know how to calculate click here.

Here are more replicas I found…

Copy version of the Eilux EW3500 from a China Manufacturer.

This picture below shows a replica of the Eilux 12-watch Winder made by a China factory

A Buben and Zorweg Watch Winder lookalike from China

Picture below shows an Orbita replica from China

Yet a similar Orbita replica from another China manufacturer

So who copied who? Who’s the real manufacturer? How do we authenticate?

My advice again is to buy from known authorized dealers! If you do a web search you may even find a replica of a replica of a watch winder.

So if you’re serious about collecting watches, be serious too when buying a watch winder!

PART 2 is now available…
        Those interested on tips to repair an Eilux EW3500 Watch Winder please go to the DIY Section.

cheers!

• Montre de MarQue
        • Etoile D'Or
        • Hotel Indonesia
        • Glory Time
        • The Watch-Collector
        • Time Palace
        • The Swiss Connection
        • M Baker
        • Maurice Lacroix
        • Time Marques

Comment

Where can we find authentic Eilux winders in Singapore?

Comment

not sure if sincere still carry them.

there is a shop on the upper level of ion orchard. you may want to try there and ask.

Originally posted by jedithy View Post
            Where can we find authentic Eilux winders in Singapore?
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks. Shall try there. Seems like it is quite difficult to find watch winders selling in Singapore shops

Comment

HELP! Watch holder turned mouldy?

Hi, I own a Eilux Single Watch Winder for some years and was loving it. However recently I noticed that the watch holder is sticky and covered with a layer of white stuff like mold. I emailed Eilux in HK who advised me to wash it with warm water. I did as told but the sticky feeling is still there and the white stuff became worst.

Eilux HK then directed me to a SG retailer to buy a replacement holder. I visited the shop but found that the new ones also feel sticky and seemed to have a thin layer of white color too. Please can you tell me what is wrong with my watch holder?

Psst,I took some pictures of my watch holder but don't know how to upload it.

Comment

try this link for assistance

Originally posted by miniapple25 View Post
                  Psst,I took some pictures of my watch holder but don't know how to upload it.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks. Shall try there. Seems like it is quite difficult to find watch winders selling in Singapore shops
                    There is a watch shop at Centrepoint Level 1 and I think they carry at least one brand of watch winder. Perhaps you can check it out if you drop by.

Comment

Hallmark have few. cheers,

Comment

Hi, does anyone know who is the local distributor for Eilux winders in SG now?
                        Got to buy a part but can't locate the dealer.

thanks!

Comment

Eilux sg

If no change from previous experience, should be as follows:

Les Montres Pte Ltd
                          16 Collyer Quay, #01-15 Hitachi Tower, Singapore 049318
                          Tel: +65 65325537
                          Last of the Mohicans: PAM 321R, Rolex Submariner, Montblanc Star Chronograph GMT Automatic, Locman Titanium

Past Collection: PAM 359P, PAM 312N, Rolex GMT Master II, JLC Reverso Squardo Chronograph GMT, PAM 112, IWC Portofino IW353304, IWC Portofino IW356501, Omega Planet Ocean,Tag Huer Link Chronometer,Omega Speedmaster Chronometer

Comment

Originally posted by kenzo666 View Post
                            If no change from previous experience, should be as follows:

Les Montres Pte Ltd
                            16 Collyer Quay, #01-15 Hitachi Tower, Singapore 049318
                            Tel: +65 65325537
                            Thanks very much, will try calling them.

Comment

Originally posted by class View Post
                              Thanks very much, will try calling them.
                              just to update those we are interested.
                              the dealer's number remains but they have moved to Republic Plaza #01-15.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X