• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys, seen this before "Rolex SuperOyster ref. 6108, CAL.A260."
    Last edited by 65wang; 26-09-14, 01:09 PM. Reason: wrong phto

Comment

Originally posted by profzhu View Post
      Lead time is pretty standard, around 8 weeks depending on parts. But given the Rolex capital of the world is Hong Kong, shouldn't be too long.
      That means 2 trips up to HK. Unless you've got 8 weeks worth of annual leave to spend at one go in HK

Comment

There a couple in Indonesia that will do it. But you need to have friends there to monitor for you. Prices are reasonable too.

Comment

I have just started liking and buying vintage rolexes and your comment about HKG servicing is invaluable. I will keep this option in mind for my next servicing

Go Rolex Hong Kong and service I guess. The quotation I got from them for a 1680 is 2000-3000 HKD for a full service. That's half the price of Singapore. Service just 1 watch and the money you save can pay for the flight. Service 2 watches and the hotel money is saved as well.

They don't charge GST, they don't charge for authentication, they have pretty ladies working at RSC counter, overall way better experience than Singapore.

Comment

Do they do courier service to send rolex back to Singapore for additional charge?
            Have you also done it with them before?

Lead time is pretty standard, around 8 weeks depending on parts. But given the Rolex capital of the world is Hong Kong, shouldn't be too long.

Comment

Custom here might be tricky...

Originally posted by aho27 View Post
              Do they do courier service to send rolex back to Singapore for additional charge?
              What should RSC HK declare? If over certain value, Import tax is applicable...

Comment

Originally posted by aho27 View Post
                I didn't service mine because I got mine from a pretty respectable dealer in US. Had it shipped to a friend in HK and picked it up in HK. Timed it and it runs ~+5sec a day. Brought it to RSC and Vintage Concept for them to take a look. Funny story, the guys at Vintage Concept saw my watch and offered to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post
                  What should RSC HK declare? If over certain value, Import tax is applicable...
                  If you have prove that you bought the watch, like a receipt or something. You won't have to pay for it because you've already paid for the taxes. Actually as long as you have prove that you're the owner, you shouldn't be taxed for shipping you own things in and out of the country.

If that were the case, Patek and Journe owners are screwed whenever they ship their watches to Geneva for servicing.

Comment

How is K2 Watch @ Katong? Is he competence in servicing Rolex?

Comment

Originally posted by whoelse View Post
                      How is K2 Watch @ Katong? Is he competence in servicing Rolex?
                      You may want to try this technician at katong plaza basement 1 for servicing vintage.

Comment

Not so much of a recommendation here, but here are some tips on how to choose one.

Pricing :
                        This is a question of what is a reasonable cost, price to pay for the service.
                        Select a few shops, ask and decide. RSC price is the benchmark(I use a different benchmark),
                        if you pay more than RSC price its a no-brainer. But please remember! pay peanut, get monkey! Hor

***There are some local shops here, with very reasonable pricing (to me).
                        I would prefer having my watch serviced here than to send it overseas unless it is totally necessary or the service I need is not found here.
                        I have heard of too many Horror Story liao!
                        case swap! dial swap! bracelet swap! clasp swap ! spring -bar swap ! crystal swap ! movement swap (complete or partial).
                        service standard wise, to each his own***

Servicing :
                        Always do what you want, not what he want (recommendations and opinions are fine)!

Mechanical, manual or automatic;
                        If you ask me, a good independent shop will access your timepiece :

If the movement is clean but losing or gaining time, a service will do, complete overhaul is not needed.
                        If the movement is dirty and losing or gaining time a lot, a complete overhaul is necessary.
                        If your timepiece is losing reserve power (watch stop within a day! ), a complete overhaul is necessary.

The shop :
                        Authenticating your Rolex timepiece on the spot, right in font of you !
                        ***Never ever leave your timepiece in the shop for authentication, it must be done in your presence***

What tools is the shop equipped with ?
                        Would you leave your beloved timepiece to the shop using low-quality tools?
                        How can one tell the different before and after servicing? not cleanliness on the appearance but movement?
                        Does the shop have a watch timing machine (can he time/read your watch ?).
                        Communication and attitude of the shop/watch smith is important (to me)!

Don't ask for a discount on your first visit, ask for the service quotation
                        Consider building a friendly relationship with them, just as you have with your doctor and mechanic.
                        After that, a discount will eventually be given ya

Myth and Fact
                        Water seal condition of a vintage watch.
                        Most vintage watches can't pass a water seal test !
                        but that doesn't mean that water will get into the watch, just don't swim or bath with it on.

I do not want to change my vintage parts just to pass a water seal test with modern parts;
                        for example; the case tube, unless it is damaged! bezel ring, case back.
                        I want it in it's vintage condition (wear and tear are unavoidable, that it also why we call it “vintage” mah)
                        At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself what do you want (modern parts on a vintage watch ?).

30 dollars for a Gen Rolex plexi glass? most likely aftermarket.
                        Unless it's from RSC (price from RSC may be different now, correct me if i'm wrong)!

Bracelet repair in RSC, no such thing! they will replace the entire bracelet, aka "service bracelet".
                        Dial repair! no such thing, they will change the entire dial! aka "service dial".
                        crystal repair, well they just change the whole crystal!They used to have a "S" engraving on the "6" position but I believe they no longer have "S" for the crystal change, now all should be using "LEC" crystal (do correct me, if I'm wrong )

What is the correct time frame to call your timepiece a vintage ?
                        There has never been a real agreement on the subject !
                        To me (my own guide) any model before 1985 is considered as "vintage". -30 years from now !

Thank you for reading.

Comment

Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
                          You may want to try this technician at katong plaza basement 1 for servicing vintage.

Duno if you meant the same technician at Katong Plaza #B1-20 Watch Garage? Tried his services on my vintage 6694s, 1601 & 16013. Very well received and trustworthy friendly chap!!!

Took the effort to assess and quoted repair cost even b4 any repair work. What I enjoyed is his passion and respect for each individual watch he handled and treated each timepiece with great care.

Highly recommended!!! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by st11_mini View Post
                            Duno if you meant the same technician at Katong Plaza #B1-20 Watch Garage? Tried his services on my vintage 6694s, 1601 & 16013. Very well received and trustworthy friendly chap!!!

Took the effort to assess and quoted repair cost even b4 any repair work. What I enjoyed is his passion and respect for each individual watch he handled and treated each timepiece with great care.

Highly recommended!!! Thanks
                            Yes, this gentleman

Comment

I heard they only keep part of Rolex watches for 25 years. Anything after that prolly have to send back to Swiss

Comment

Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
                                Yes, this gentleman
                                Hey guys, any idea where did he move to? I tried looking for him but couldnt find the shop

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X