Warranty Paper when selling watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forcabruta View Post
    Of course you can sell your watch without cert!

The original cert typically commands an additional $500-1000 to the price, but it depends on the seller & buyer, really. If you have everything (box, cert, tags, booklets, all links, etc) then maybe it's another $1000-1500 for a sports model.

When you collect from service, RSC will give you back a paper/invoice with the serial number of your watch and service details (e.g. overhaul and whatever else). This is good enough as an "authenticity" proof. The original cert and all the rest that originally came with your watch are only important for collectors.

In any case, the condition of the watch is always the most important thing! I would prefer to buy a $1000 cheaper no-cert minty watch that was recently serviced at RSC, rather than a so-so condition watch with cert with no-known service history, any time!!!
    I see... appreciate your explanation on your experience with rolex. At least now I know what to expect out of the deal. Thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by forcabruta View Post
      Most of these older certs (punched papers) do not include the particulars of the buyer. What is important is the name/address of the dealer (proving this is an AD and not grey market or something else) and the date of purchase. But I have seen several certs with just the AD particulars (i.e. undated). Absence of date is not much of an issue as you can date the watch by its serial no. Although personally I like to have the date as well. Absence of buyer particulars is no problem at all. You can try to erase/cover your name/address but I would wait until you find your buyer and talk about it.

As far as I am concerned, as a seller, I wouldn't mind passing my name etc on the certificate to the next buyer. You think your name and address are so difficult for someone to find?

And as a buyer, I would not like to see something on the certificate crossed out or erased. Which is why I suggest you wait until you find your buyer and then decide.

But selling just the watch without the certificate is a no-no
      Yes and you must also provide the sale receipt in order for the new buyer to be able to utilize the guarantee.

Comment

Any recommended place to sell? Went to far east plaza, top hour but not having a positive experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman View Post
          Any recommended place to sell? Went to far east plaza, top hour but not having a positive experience with them.
          Why don't you try sell here in the forum? Pre-owned watch shops take in watches at rather low prices.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Can i ask since usually there is
            1) Box
            2) warranty cert
            3) manual

Whats the decrease in value you will be willing to pay without the 1,2,or 3?

And why is the warranty cert important if its warranty has ended, unless one uses it to match the serail number just as one of the factors in authentication?

Been given a lot of excuses of shift house lose cert.......

Is there a red flag on why no cert like maybe its stolen or trying to pass off fake watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Sgdividends View Post
              Can i ask since usually there is
              1) Box
              2) warranty cert
              3) manual

Whats the decrease in value you will be willing to pay without the 1,2,or 3?

And why is the warranty cert important if its warranty has ended, unless one uses it to match the serail number just as one of the factors in authentication?

Is there a red flag on why no cert like maybe its stolen or trying to pass off fake watch?
              There is a difference, depending if it's 1, 2 or 3. For 1 and 3, the price differentiation is smaller, simply because you can acquire a box and manual separately outside. Price for each is not very expensive too. But I have to qualify that it would also depend on what watch models we are talking about. If vintage models, then 1 and 3 will have bigger differentiation because the box and manual for old models are harder to find, thus, more costly if available.

For 2, I have responded in your other post wrt price differentiation. On why it is important than a box and manual, you can never duplicate another certificate of the watch. And most often than not, people prefer their watches to come complete, especially for collectors. Hence, the higher importance for a certificate/warranty card. I believe it is not just watches. Even pet dogs; those dogs that come with original certificate should cost more than those that do not have any paper, if compared apple-to-apple, correct?

As for why some watches lost their certificates/cards, even when they are relatively new, there are many reasons. True or not, you decide what you want to believe. For older watches, some reasons may be valid. For the newer ones, I will be cautious.
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

given the cases of watches being mis-appropriated where these watches are to be recovered if it reaches the service centre.

hence as precautionary measure, some buyers will choose to buy watches with certificate.

whatever excuses given, it is given just to pacify the potential buyer.

as some warranty certificate bears the name/address of first owner and the first owner decides to sell the watch, not likely will the seller exposes name and address. however, this can be done by removing the sensitive information by various means. then again, will the next buyer want a warranty card that is to be "spoilt" by any means?

as a first owner selling the watch, i would rather take a bigger to protect myself against any release of sensitive information.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                1. subject heading indicating your issue
                2. your nick
                3. your corresponding email address
                4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thank you oceanklassik and triton.

Very informative for a newbie like me who knows what the seasoned buyers look out for

Comment

Is there a website that lists the weight of each model of Rolex ?

I'm thinking of using it as one factor of authentication...Within a margin of error given some have been polished

Comment

i provide you a scenario, if a replica watch can weigh within 5g of the actual watch.

will you use it as an indicator as a factor of authentication?

Is there a website that lists the weight of each model of Rolex ?

I'm thinking of using it as one factor of authentication...Within a margin of error given some have been polished
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i really dun get it.if u r so careful n want to authenticate y dun u go to JW or Top Hr to get it done for a small fee ?

Comment

Just one factor only. I mean I would also want to do my own DD.

But regardless I will be going to Top Hour. They charging 50. Just checked yesterday . About 20 mins check .

Comment

Just one factor only. I mean I would also want to do my own DD.

But regardless I will be going to Top Hour. They charging 50. Just checked yesterday . About 20 mins check .
                            Correct. But do make sure on the day of your appt, call and remind Mr Lim early. Once, I arranged to meet a watch seller at Lucky Plaza, so that we could get the verification done together. I called Mr Lim a day before and said I would be going to his shop at 3.30-4pm and he agreed, but the shop wasn't opened even when I left at 4.30pm.

Good luck with your purchase
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X