Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orbita Futura 1

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dear Orbita,

Recently I purchase a Futura 1 (SN 71138). It is one of the best watch winder I have so far. However, I encounter some issue with the TPD in low setting.

I understand at LO setting, the TPD for the winder is 800 and it is based on a 12 min cycle ( 1 min running time and 11 mins of rest time). The running time and resting time is consistent as published according to operating instruction. The winder rotates my watch 10 times during the 1 min of running time.

As such I did a simple calculation that
    in one hour, it will rotate 50 times ( 60min/12min x 10 rotations)
    in 1 day, it will rotate 1200 times. (50 times x 24 hrs) (My watch will be overwind)

Could you please assist in this matter. Thanks.
    My wall output is 240 V as I am based in Singapore. Do i need a transformer to step down the Voltage so that the winder may rotate slower? Or is there any information that I am missing out. Your assistance is of great value to me.

Thanks

Regards,
    Jacky

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Dear Jacky,

Thank you for purchasing ORBITA Watchwinders. In response to your questions, please read on.

Our calculation is as follows: 24 x 60 = 1440 minutes per day. Based on 12 minute winding cycles, that is 120 winding cycles per day. Each cycle of approx. 1 minute makes 9 turns so that provides about 1080 TPD. However, we also calculate that battery voltages drop after a while, we can experience a 20 to 25% voltage drop and end up with about 800 TPD. Bear in mind that keeping the watch wound is our goal. If you are using a wall power adapter , yes you will get more than 800 TPD. Reality check? It will not overwind the watch or damage it in any way. Think about the man sitting at his desk all day versus the man running in a marathon. Swiss watch producers design their watches to accommodate both. You can relax, your watch will not be damaged in any way at 1100 to 1200 TPD.

Enjoy!

Cheryl Clark

ORBITA Corporation

800-800-4436

http://www.orbita.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

So what is my take after a few weeks/months of using...
    It perform to what it is suppose to do. Wind your watch elegantly/silently.
    hmm... maybe its just me however i can just see it wind the watch and feel happy about it.

It is NOT a complicated equipment. in fact nothing to be complicated about. It can only wind in one direction. either CW or CCW. As my watch can only be wind in one direction, I have no complaint. The LO setting deviation do not really affect me too ( at least I know the absolute number of turns the watch winder has on the watch) I control the rest by timer.

Mirror finish allows the whole equipment to portray its class but it is a thumbprint magnet.
    absolutely zero maintenance. However I do find placing the watch onto the pillow and stuff it into the cylinder a little hassle at first. However i got use to it in the end.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

a simple on/off , LO/HI and a red indicator to tell u that u need to replace battery.
    It can be run by batteries and AC wall adaptor. Both yiield the same results. However Orbita claimed that using batteries will reduce the TPD as the voltage drop with time

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

it is suitable for watches with leather strap or similar. I have not use it on watches with metal strap. However i suspect if it is not careful by the user, The watch bracelet might suffer slight scratches.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

The AC wall adaptor. I think it is visually pleasing too

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

The side profile of the cylinder housing. Will I get another orbita? yes why not. Looking at cristallo or the tourbillon version. What holds me back then was the batteries for cristello need to order from orbita. Futura uses normal batteries that we can find almost anywhere.

Again. Given a choice... do check out Buben and Zoweg too.... THEY HAVE DISCOUNT from time to time. and the discount can be substantial too. 5 years warranty and local agent supported.

Downside of orbita... no local support so far. anything happen... i got to send it back to US and it is really a hassle. I dont foresee such problem yet given the performance.