Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex Buying Guide

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Wife View Post
    Please advise which model to get for hubby with $6000 budget? I am getting this for his birthday. I am looking at a SS model, maybe datejust or explorer but can any kind soul help advise. TIA
    Firstly, how old is your husband?
    Secondly, what does he like?
    Thirdly, what does he normally wear to work?
    Next, will you consider pre-owned watches?
    Lastly, is it going to be a daily watch or just for formal wear?

Once your answers to the 5 qns above are clear, then the job is easy. With a 6K budget, assuming you're willing to consider pre-owned, you can consider getting him a Sports model. Can consider Sub, ExplorerII, etc. If you want a new one only, then that limits your options to perhaps only AK, Exp I?
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Firstly Ms Wife, welcome to SG-ROC..

Wah.. your hubby so lucky to have a wifey who buys a $6k Rollie for his birthday... Think you will definitely make the correct choice in the birthday you are getting with the friendly help from the brothers here... with your good taste to manage to find SG-ROC, you are already half-way there..

Bro Minusplus standard questionaire is really the fundamental qns you need to know and it will definitely help in your purchase selection.
    To add to Minusplus third qns, "What does he normally wear to work", maybe you will also know if he is gona want to wear this Rolex (your gift) as his regular watch to work or not.

Hopefully you can afford alittle more time to do research, bounce your findings off us at SG-ROC before buying.. don't let the salesman "pressure" you with their sales talk and definitely avoid any impulse purchase to avoid kana ketuk (tok cai tao = chop carrot head)...

Good luck Ms.

Quote Originally Posted by minusplus View Post
    Firstly, how old is your husband?
    Secondly, what does he like?
    Thirdly, what does he normally wear to work?
    Next, will you consider pre-owned watches?
    Lastly, is it going to be a daily watch or just for formal wear?

Once your answers to the 5 qns above are clear, then the job is easy. With a 6K budget, assuming you're willing to consider pre-owned, you can consider getting him a Sports model. Can consider Sub, ExplorerII, etc. If you want a new one only, then that limits your options to perhaps only AK, Exp I?

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
    - GMT II
    - GMT IIc TT
    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
    - U1
    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

BTW I just called Dickson at Suntec as per other postings in other threads but the salesperson say no discount even if I pay by cash. They quote me 8320 for a 116234 w/o diamonds and 10530 with diamonds. I thought after the discount as commented by some bros here will be around $6000plus and 8000 plus respectively. Please kindly enlighten me, the goondu housewife here.
    Ok,116234 with diamonds is ard 8.8k after standard discount. That I can confirm. The prices given are before discount.

Damn lucky guy(ur hubby) I hav to say..haha Anyway,if you buy preowned means more choices. But brand new would mean you are limited to some sports watches like the Exp I and II,Submariner w/o date(This I am not sure,maybe abit more la). And,116234 aka SS DJ. These are the better choices

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Feedback Score

Another choice would be the Explorer II. Some bro quoted the price @ $6.9k at THG at LP.

Feedback Score

Thanks brothers here for the warm response. I am not keen in a preowned as I am a novice and first time buyer so I presume buying from a authorised retailer will be a safer choice for me. So 8.8K for a brand new SS Datejust 116234, diamond dial, fluted bezel, oyster bracelet a good buy?

My hubby is a shirt-pants guy for work, mid-30s, probably a daily wearer (he dare don't wear....heehee ).

I am glad to find such a helpful and useful forum

Feedback Score

hahaha.... you guys are really funny. My hubby does not help me with mopping the house but he does help me jarga my 3 naughty kids while I mop. :P I appreciate your kind advices and my savings are really hard to come by considering the fact that I am a housewife for like 5 years. Any bros here willing to share their good AD with me to help me get maybe a better deal please? Any advise on which shop to get will also be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Feedback Score
    65 (100%)

budget - ??? kindly confirm

is your husband a sporty person?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Thanks brothers here for the warm response. I am not keen in a preowned as I am a novice and first time buyer so I presume buying from a authorised retailer will be a safer choice for me. So 8.8K for a brand new SS Datejust 116234, diamond dial, fluted bezel, oyster bracelet a good buy?

My hubby is a shirt-pants guy for work, mid-30s, probably a daily wearer (he dare don't wear....heehee ).

I am glad to find such a helpful and useful forum
    Judging from your description, DJ seems to be a good choice . Can consider Explorer I also.

Feedback Score

Not sporty. Fatherly type.

Budget 6000 for no diamonds. 8500 for diamonds. Give and take but of course best deals welcome......heehee 'housewife' syndrome :P

Advisable to get diamonds a not ? I think it looks classier :P or it's the woman thing. I need some men's opinions
    Last edited by Wife; 21-01-08 at 04:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Not sporty. Fatherly type.

Budget 6000 for no diamonds. 8500 for diamonds. Give and take but of course best deals welcome......heehee 'housewife' syndrome :P

Advisable to get diamonds as I think it looks classier :P or it's the woman thing
    Diamonds? Personally don't really like them on watches. It doesn't give a young look. 30plus around my age, so will recommend a sport model