Thread: Advice for purchase at London Heathrow Airport

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default Advice for purchase at London Heathrow Airport

Seeking advice please on the payment mode for purchase of a Rolex at London Heathrow Airport. And how to get the VAT refund.
    Thanks in advance.
    Our eyes must be ugliest part of our face; everyone looks good when wearing sunglasses

Feedback Score

Hey there,

I'm really new to this forum, but had an experience recently from purchasing a Tudor from Watches of Switzerland at London Heathrow Terminal 5.

If you are able to produce a boarding pass which demonstrates that you are traveling out of Europe, you will be given a price excluding VAT. Payment methods can be done either by cash or credit card, but as with most other retailers, they can offer a better price if you pay in cash (lower administration fees). The price I transacted at was just over $3,000 SGD which is about $900 or so cheaper than the price quoted in Changi Airport, Singapore.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Reuben

Feedback Score
    54 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by reubenlym View Post
    Hey there,

I'm really new to this forum, but had an experience recently from purchasing a Tudor from Watches of Switzerland at London Heathrow Terminal 5.

If you are able to produce a boarding pass which demonstrates that you are traveling out of Europe, you will be given a price excluding VAT. Payment methods can be done either by cash or credit card, but as with most other retailers, they can offer a better price if you pay in cash (lower administration fees). The price I transacted at was just over $3,000 SGD which is about $900 or so cheaper than the price quoted in Changi Airport, Singapore.

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Reuben
    Good, useful information. Tx for generosity

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Hey there,

I hope this helps!

Best,
    Reuben
    Thank you as the information is a great help.

Please may I trouble you with some questions.
    Is the shop located before or after the immigration counter?
    Did you pay in pound, usd or sgd?
    Our eyes must be ugliest part of our face; everyone looks good when wearing sunglasses

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hypeunot View Post
    Thank you as the information is a great help.

Please may I trouble you with some questions.
    Is the shop located before or after the immigration counter?
    Did you pay in pound, usd or sgd?
    It was after immigration. I was actually in transit from Germany as I had just bought my first Rolex there - a 16610LV Submariner. Will upload pictures separately once I'm able to start my own thread!

If you're using a credit card, always ALWAYS pay in the local currency. This would be GBP at Heathrow Airport. As I understand from a few retail bankers I spoke to, if you select SGD, there is a 'double conversion' charge.

Feedback Score

purchased there in Dec 17. sign up for the Heathrow rewards card and get rebates (sadly only credit next day), was able to get £220 rebates for a datejust 41..

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by inzaghi09 View Post
    purchased there in Dec 17. sign up for the Heathrow rewards card and get rebates (sadly only credit next day), was able to get £220 rebates for a datejust 41..
    Please may I know if the rebate is to offset the next purchase?

Feedback Score

If your flight's at Terminal 5, you can make an online appointment for the VAT refund. Will cost £120 though, but worth it if you have many VAT receipts, running late or to avoid long queues.

Feedback Score

It was after immigration. I was actually in transit from Germany as I had just bought my first Rolex there - a 16610LV Submariner. Will upload pictures separately once I'm able to start my own thread!

If you're using a credit card, always ALWAYS pay in the local currency. This would be GBP at Heathrow Airport. As I understand from a few retail bankers I spoke to, if you select SG, there is a 'double conversion' charge.
    assuming this applies to all purchases - helpful tip thanks!

Feedback Score

Yes it's always better to pay in the local currency where the purchase is made.