Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Watch winder or not?

Feedback Score

watch winder is good for those who have less wrist time and to avoid wearing off the crown screw thread.

Feedback Score

Thanks guys for all the great information.

Feedback Score

I don't believe in watch winders.
    Just like most mechanical parts, perpetual motion can wear out parts prematurely.

Feedback Score

By all means get a watch wonder if you can afford it. I personally do not see the need for one.

Feedback Score

Not sure about wear and tear on the movement in a winder vs just in a watch case, but I have to admit it is really practical if you rotate more than 3 automatics in a week - you dont have to waste time setting the time/date and there is no unnecessary wear on a screw down crown.

Feedback Score

I could understand the point that people are afraid of watch winders wearing out the movement of watches that don't have a lot of wrist time. But what about a heirloom you bought for your child which you intend to gift them say when they are 21 years old? Does it then make sense to put it in a winder as I read that keeping it untouched in a box for a long period of time (20 years eg.) will cause the oils to dry up and the movement to malfunction in time to come?

Feedback Score

i dont think its compulsory to have. although its nice to see the watch winder.

Feedback Score

any recommended brands for watch winder?

Feedback Score

was wondering if mitch & marc is a good brand for a watch winder?

Feedback Score
    65 (100%)

there is NO "good" brand

the winder ability to set 2 basic settings - Turns Per Day & winding direction (clockwise, anti-clockwise & bi-direction).

base on the recommended settings of orbita and B&Z, there should be a basic of 650TPD for rolex. there are winders that has a minimum of 900 TPD for watches. a check with those sellers selling 900 TPD if the watch movement will be affected in any way and their responses are NO citing that the slipping clutch of automatic watches prevents the watch from being over wound.

like any mechanic parts, there is a maximum number of times these parts can be used before they are damaged.

650 TPD will equate to ~27 turns hourly
    900 TPD will equate to 37.5 turns hourly

an additional 10 turns per hour which will accelerate the wear and tear of the slipping clutch mechanism.

besides the engine to consider, other things to consider are

• holder of the watch - mainly "sponge" like material are used. there are those sponge that retains its shape over time and there are those that loses it shape over time.

• the material use to construct the housing of the watch winder, generally wood is used but what kind of wood.

• the winder able to use battery to power up or needs dc power.

hope the information helps.

Quote Originally Posted by inzaghi09 View Post
    was wondering if mitch & marc is a good brand for a watch winder?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal