X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Rolex Watch

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of Swiss watches. Just started this new hobby in Nov 07 and had bought 2 Swiss watches over a month. I seem to get hooked to this and hope to stop, at least for a while. But before that, I wish to get a new Rolex watch. I've been checking out shops lately and discovered that Rolex did not have the "combo" I wanted. What do I mean? Ok, here it is......

Looking at the classic range, I learnt that there were 3 types of bezels, the white gold, "engineton" and dome. Sorry but I may have spelt the "engineton" wrongly. There are terms like "date" and "datejust". I was told simply that date means smaller face and datejust, slightly bigger. Though my first choice are the white gold bezel watches because of the design (which I like and not because it is white gold), I did not want to spend that kind of money. Then comes the dome bezel. It is not for me and I really don't like the design.

Ah..! The engineton bezel then caught my eye. The design is milder than the white gold and not as plain as the dome. The problem is: THEY ONLY HAVE DATE; NO DATEJUST!! Meaning, I can only settle for a smaller face (date) watch if I want an engineton bezel. I was told that engineton bezel watches were only available in date-size and smaller, and only the white gold and dome bezels spread across the ranges. Therefore, my combo for a Rolex watch now would be:

- datejust, black-face Roman lettering, engineton bezel, plain steel strap
    (forgot the term but its not the jubilee one)

Anyone can share?

Thanks!

This qn is a bit chim. Must wait for senior bros to come in and answer
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Sure. Am waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by WatchME View Post
        Hi,

Anyone can share?

Thanks!
        president bracelet? or the newer designed bracelet?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of Swiss watches. Just started this new hobby in Nov 07 and had bought 2 Swiss watches over a month. I seem to get hooked to this and hope to stop, at least for a while. But before that, I wish to get a new Rolex watch. I've been checking out shops lately and discovered that Rolex did not have the "combo" I wanted. What do I mean? Ok, here it is......

Looking at the classic range, I learnt that there were 3 types of bezels, the white gold, "engineton" and dome. Sorry but I may have spelt the "engineton" wrongly. There are terms like "date" and "datejust". I was told simply that date means smaller face and datejust, slightly bigger. Though my first choice are the white gold bezel watches because of the design (which I like and not because it is white gold), I did not want to spend that kind of money. Then comes the dome bezel. It is not for me and I really don't like the design.

Ah..! The engineton bezel then caught my eye. The design is milder than the white gold and not as plain as the dome. The problem is: THEY ONLY HAVE DATE; NO DATEJUST!! Meaning, I can only settle for a smaller face (date) watch if I want an engineton bezel. I was told that engineton bezel watches were only available in date-size and smaller, and only the white gold and dome bezels spread across the ranges. Therefore, my combo for a Rolex watch now would be:

Anyone can share?

Thanks!
          It's ENGINE TURNED..not engineton...

What you are looking for does not exist,but I think you should just settle for the WG bezel,not really much difference only a bit more shiny.

I believe plain stee strap means the OYSTER BRACELET.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
            president bracelet? or the newer designed bracelet?
            SS leh bro...president no SS.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              SS leh bro...president no SS.
              ya hor.....
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
              1. subject heading indicating your issue
              2. your nick
              3. your corresponding email address
              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                It's ENGINE TURNED..not engineton...

What you are looking for does not exist,but I think you should just settle for the WG bezel,not really much difference only a bit more shiny.

I believe plain stee strap means the OYSTER BRACELET.
                That's exactly what I thought.

WatchME, you're probably 20yrs late. I have seen 36mm, datejust with engine turned bezel before. But those are old models (70s or 80s I believe), no sapphire glass, oyster bracelet are folded steel. Can still find those once a while in used market.
                Submariner 14060
                Breitling Colt Auto II
                Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                Bell & Ross BR03-92
                MM20

Comment

I wonder if I've had mislead you guys into what I wanted to find out but FIRST, let me reply "bEnd1ck" first. Yes, I'm 20 years late or whatever you deem fit. I've already informed that I was new to this hobby (if u actually read with ur eyes) and that is why I am trying to learn more. So, good for you if you are 20 years forward!

Ok, now let me clarify. I am totally ignorant of this world of watches and just starting to pick up. When I was shopping for a Swiss watch recently, I was given those information which I'd earlier mentioned. Yes, I couldn't get what I'd wanted because the Rolex range did not have the design. I'm not asking if Rolex customise for their clients. I just don't want to be solely relying on one sales man and believe his version totally.

Sorry if I may sound silly but I thought most of us started this way. It's ok if you don't wish to share and in the case of "bEnd1ck", may not have enough information to share anyway. So please keep those unnecessary comments to yourself.

Comment

possible..... the one u are looking for is a 16220...... rolex ss dj with engine-turned bezel......

this is not a current model but shd be easily available at ADs.......

on the other hand...... our members here are helpful and trying to help you..... they may not have answered your questions entirely but i think u shd have some manners.......

and keep those unnecessary comments to yourself .....
                    the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                    visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

I wonder if I've had mislead you guys into what I wanted to find out but FIRST, let me reply "bEnd1ck" first. Yes, I'm 20 years late or whatever you deem fit. I've already informed that I was new to this hobby (if u actually read with ur eyes) and that is why I am trying to learn more. So, good for you if you are 20 years forward!

Ok, now let me clarify. I am totally ignorant of this world of watches and just starting to pick up. When I was shopping for a Swiss watch recently, I was given those information which I'd earlier mentioned. Yes, I couldn't get what I'd wanted because the Rolex range did not have the design. I'm not asking if Rolex customise for their clients. I just don't want to be solely relying on one sales man and believe his version totally.

Sorry if I may sound silly but I thought most of us started this way. It's ok if you don't wish to share and in the case of "bEnd1ck", may not have enough information to share anyway. So please keep those unnecessary comments to yourself.

Woah Woah Woah...relax bro...

Originally posted by ohlins View Post
                      possible..... the one u are looking for is a 16220...... rolex ss dj with engine-turned bezel......

on the other hand...... our members here are helpful and trying to help you..... they may not have answered your questions entirely but i think u shd have some manners.......

Comment

Hey friend, I am in no way trying to mock at you abt the 20yrs thing. (if thats what you understood my words for). Someone mentioned that the watch doesnt exist? I was just trying to tell you that previously, there was such model (36mm datejust with engine turned bezel). But as ohlins mentioned, not current production. You mentioned you wanted new? so you're late , isnt that true?

BTW, I'm not any laojiao and I do not proclaim to have alot of knowledge about watches. In any case, I wont be apologizing for the misunderstanding. But I do apologise for posting in YOUR thread... as you were only waiting for answers from the "seniors". I am not. so bye
                        Last edited by bEnd1ck; 31-12-07, 12:32 AM.
                        Submariner 14060
                        Breitling Colt Auto II
                        Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
                        Bell & Ross BR03-92
                        MM20

Comment

Cool it guys. Relax lah Forum is just a place to talk rot so let's loosen up...

Cheers
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Yeah la relaxxxxxxxx

Oh btw,Ohlins was right. I went to check out my book and I saw the 16220 with a engine turned bezel,haha sorry just now I didn't go check the book,was just going by my memory

Comment

Haha...!! Look who's talking about "keeping those unnecessary comments". U seem to be somehow related to bEnd1ck, i suppose. So he can give such comments on me and I can't on him?! How will u feel people calling u backdated when what u r trying to do was to politely find out things?? And i think u shld be the one to SHUT UP your bloody comments about having manners when u don't hv any!

PLEASE DON'T MIX UP YOUR MESSAGE!

Originally posted by ohlins View Post

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X