X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros n cons of some exercise + sport

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...e-1666722.html

Walking:

Upside: Three hours a week cuts your risk of heart disease by 40pc. Makes bones stronger and less prone to osteoporosis, can slow memory loss. Easy, safe and free.
    Downside: You really need to tot up at least 16,000 steps a day of walking before the pounds start dropping off.

Running

Upside: Burns more fat per minute than any other form of cardiovascular activity; regular runners far less likely to die prematurely than non-runners; creates a release of endorphins that can cause a general feeling of happiness.
    Downside: High injury potential. Feet hit ground 800 to 1,000 times a mile during run with an impact equivalent to about three times the body's weight. Can lead to arthritis. Suppresses appetite.

Swimming

Upside: Exercises all main muscle groups; strengthens lungs; excellent for aerobic fitness and easing joint and back problems.
    Downside: Makes you hungry and craving fatty foods like chocolate and cakes. Poor technique can cause muscle strains, neck and back pain. Non-weight bearing so not useful in bone-building.

Golf

Upside: Mentally demanding; improves concentration and decision-making. An average 18-hole course requires an 8km walk.
    Downside: Risk of lower back pain high and golfer's elbow; perceived as boring and elitist; expensive.

Tennis

Upside: Good for cardiovascular fitness and core body strength; intense bursts of energy followed by rest helps muscles use oxygen efficiently; improves leg strength, balance and hand-eye coordination.
    Downside: Risk of tennis elbow, sprained ankle or twisted knee; knees and ankles must accommodate quick stops and starts, and sudden changes of direction.

Cycling

Upside: Good for deep breathing and strengthening lungs and heart muscle.
    Bad for: Low impact nature of this sport means it doesn't build strong bones; can lead to chronic back pain; cyclists vulnerable to pot-holes and dangerous drivers.

Rugby

Upside: Bulks muscles and promotes physical strength; good for team bonding.
    Downside: Considered the most dangerous team sport; can lead to serious physical conditions such as arthritis; head injuries can lead to dementia in later life.

Riding

Upside: Promotes core body strength, balance and posture. One hour riding can burn similar calories to 30-minute jog or cycle; contact with horses relieves stress; good for communing with nature.
    Downside: Horses can be unpredictable. Falling off part and parcel of the sport and can lead to serious injuries.

Weight-lifting

Upside: Good for toning and building up bulk; can help shed fat without dieting; helps strengthen bones.
    Downside: Doesn't improve aerobic fitness; puts sudden stress on heart.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

wah..so jialat ar...may as well excerise in bedroom better....the most have more offsprings to boost Singapore population...hahahahaha
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

pushups in the bedroom seems to have great effect on the body. only thing is, you need a partner to help out
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

yeah.. they missed out "making out"
        Pros : Total enjoyment while you burn of fats, thats if you take active role in the session... improves blood circulation and population
        Cons : Need more than yrself to tango. :P

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
        - GMT II
        - GMT IIc TT
        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
        - U1
        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Never add boxing.

Can practise outdoor or indoors after drinking session.
          People & Life Are Like Push-Up Bra. They Often Parade Themselves With A False Sense Of Being & Confidence. The Underlying Truth Are Often Much Less Tantalizing. - Benjamin L

Comment

pro : doing sports is just to impress the ladies with buff body

con : tired working out but want to.

Comment

hahaha..boxing....u can always have a sparring parther at MS...u get what i mean right Bro Promethus...hahahaha....

i prefer to be lover than fighter nowadays due to old age...
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                hahaha..boxing....u can always have a sparring parther at MS...u get what i mean right Bro Promethus...hahahaha....

i prefer to be lover than fighter nowadays due to old age...
                Please la... that is bullying liao, not sparring lor.... I take it out on Street Fighter 4 these days...
                People & Life Are Like Push-Up Bra. They Often Parade Themselves With A False Sense Of Being & Confidence. The Underlying Truth Are Often Much Less Tantalizing. - Benjamin L

Comment

Originally posted by Promethus View Post
                  Please la... that is bullying liao, not sparring lor.... I take it out on Street Fighter 4 these days...
                  Haha .. nice game
                  [CENTER]

[IMG]http://www.thetimetv.com/_upload/_brand/brand_15.gif[/IMG]
                  [B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Times New Roman"][I]Elegance is an attitude[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

thanks for sharing this

Comment

Thanks for sharing - good to know!!

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                      http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...e-1666722.html

Walking:

Upside: Three hours a week cuts your risk of heart disease by 40pc. Makes bones stronger and less prone to osteoporosis, can slow memory loss. Easy, safe and free.
                      Downside: You really need to tot up at least 16,000 steps a day of walking before the pounds start dropping off.

Running

Upside: Burns more fat per minute than any other form of cardiovascular activity; regular runners far less likely to die prematurely than non-runners; creates a release of endorphins that can cause a general feeling of happiness.
                      Downside: High injury potential. Feet hit ground 800 to 1,000 times a mile during run with an impact equivalent to about three times the body's weight. Can lead to arthritis. Suppresses appetite.

Swimming

Upside: Exercises all main muscle groups; strengthens lungs; excellent for aerobic fitness and easing joint and back problems.
                      Downside: Makes you hungry and craving fatty foods like chocolate and cakes. Poor technique can cause muscle strains, neck and back pain. Non-weight bearing so not useful in bone-building.

Golf

Upside: Mentally demanding; improves concentration and decision-making. An average 18-hole course requires an 8km walk.
                      Downside: Risk of lower back pain high and golfer's elbow; perceived as boring and elitist; expensive.

Tennis

Upside: Good for cardiovascular fitness and core body strength; intense bursts of energy followed by rest helps muscles use oxygen efficiently; improves leg strength, balance and hand-eye coordination.
                      Downside: Risk of tennis elbow, sprained ankle or twisted knee; knees and ankles must accommodate quick stops and starts, and sudden changes of direction.

Cycling

Upside: Good for deep breathing and strengthening lungs and heart muscle.
                      Bad for: Low impact nature of this sport means it doesn't build strong bones; can lead to chronic back pain; cyclists vulnerable to pot-holes and dangerous drivers.

Rugby

Upside: Bulks muscles and promotes physical strength; good for team bonding.
                      Downside: Considered the most dangerous team sport; can lead to serious physical conditions such as arthritis; head injuries can lead to dementia in later life.

Riding

Upside: Promotes core body strength, balance and posture. One hour riding can burn similar calories to 30-minute jog or cycle; contact with horses relieves stress; good for communing with nature.
                      Downside: Horses can be unpredictable. Falling off part and parcel of the sport and can lead to serious injuries.

Weight-lifting

Upside: Good for toning and building up bulk; can help shed fat without dieting; helps strengthen bones.
                      Downside: Doesn't improve aerobic fitness; puts sudden stress on heart.

Comment

I exercise 3-4 times a week , gym and swim but my weight always remains the same. I may lose 1 kg but later that 1 kg will eventually come back...it is safe to consume diet pills? I have Friends who consume they lose weight so fast without exercising, i feel so jealous..

Comment

Good read ! thanks for sharing

Comment

Usually a good mix of the following should help to lose weight:

Exercise

1. Cardio (run,cycle, swim etc)
                            2. High Intensity Interval (free weights, calistenic, sprints, usually high rep with short rest intervals)
                            3. Resistance (calistenic, free weights, heavy lifting,usually low reps)

Diet and rest
                            -go low carb, mid to high fat and protein
                            -Sleep before 12am and at least 7-8 hours a day and no food 2-3 hours prior

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              pushups in the bedroom seems to have great effect on the body. only thing is, you need a partner to help out
                              reminds me of doing seat up once a day everytime I get out of bed :O

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X