Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must read: The Time Keeper (Mitch Albom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must read: The Time Keeper (Mitch Albom)

Prior to this latest novel written by Mitch Albom, I have read four of his past six books and like them all. I was straight away attracted to this latest book of his when I spotted it on the bookshelf, partly because I was curious about what sort of story this inspirational author could make out of time keeping, which is, as you understand, a subject I am very interested in.

This book is of course not about watches or time pieces, but rather, the meaning of time.

This novel is, in my opinion, the easiest to read compared with his previous best sellers, and yet it is for me the most touching and inspirational of all. I could hardly put the book down from the moment I started reading it. It tells a compelling tale of the first man on earth to count the hours. The man who became Father Time.

"Man alone measures time.
    Man alone chimes the hour.
    And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralysing fear that no other creature ensures.
    A fear of time running out."

A powerful story that makes me cry.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
    And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralysing fear that no other creature ensures.
    Woah, that's deep. Even though man measures time, but they do not treasure it even if they know that time is a limited asset. But I'm most probably not going to read it until my A's are over.... I still can't finish reading my Literature texts HAHAHA!

Anyways your post reminds me of something that I've heard somewhere. It goes something like this: "Imagine if you have $86400 everyday, and you can spend it but the remainder of the money will not be carried over the next day. You'll certainly spend every single dollar that you are given, right? The same goes for time. You have 86400 seconds daily, so why don't you make full use of the 86400 seconds, like you'd do with the $86400?"
    "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

Not very "deep", but in fact a simply told but great story full of meaningful quotes that inspire readers to look into how they spend time.

"When you are measuring life, you are not living it."

To think that we are bothered by +/- few seconds per day of an instrument created by man...

Comment

Many years ago a friend gave me one of his book "Tuesday with Morrie" and indeed it is a very interesting book to read. My wife also took a liking to it and bought a few of his other titles. Maybe is time for me to continue where I left off.

Comment

I read and like this book too

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
          Many years ago a friend gave me one of his book "Tuesday with Morrie" and indeed it is a very interesting book to read. My wife also took a liking to it and bought a few of his other titles. Maybe is time for me to continue where I left off.

Comment

This book is available in the libraries. All the copies are always out on loan so best is to spend $1.55 to place a reservation

Comment

His books can be bought at Popular book store with discount some more. The older titles buy 2 at 25% discount. The Time Keeper is 20%. Just bought one.

This book is available in the libraries. All the copies are always out on loan so best is to spend $1.55 to place a reservation

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                His books can be bought at Popular book store with discount some more. The older titles buy 2 at 25% discount. The Time Keeper is 20%. Just bought one.

Share your thought after you finish reading.

Comment

And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralysing fear that no other creature endures.
                  After reading all the posts in other threads about how to prevent your watches from being scratched and how to polish watches blah blah blah, I make a new version of the above quotes...

Man alone measures time.
                  Man alone wears expensive watches.
                  And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralysing fear that no other creature endures.
                  A fear of watches kena scratched.

Comment

Wonder how much it will cost on Amazon.cn. Just picked up a couple of non-fictions on it - liked their services.

Comment

It is available on Amazon.cn for RMB 48.23. That works out to roughly S$10! Just ordered one.

Comment

I just realized that there is a typo error in the quotes in my first post - the word "ensures" should read "endures". I have corrected that in my last post.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
                          It is available on Amazon.cn for RMB 48.23. That works out to roughly S$10! Just ordered one.
                          Good buy.

If I could only read one book this year, this would be it.

Comment

I bought more watches this year than I did books! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
                              I bought more watches this year than I did books! :-)
                              I hope you at least read as many books even if you don't buy them.

Books are man's best friend, not watches. With an expensive watch you could pretend to be somebody, but people know what you are as soon as you speak

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X