How To Deal With Forum Trolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Deal With Forum Trolls

Let’s face it - internet/forum trolls are here to stay. In fact, trolls exist since the beginning of internet era and have become very common these days among forums, blogs and social networks. Being one of the popular and vibrant forums in SG, it is no surprise that SG-ROC has become a playground of trolls.

Simply google “how to deal with trolls” or “how to deal with forum trolls” and you will get tons of advices and discussions on this subject. Most recommend the ignore tactic, with some also suggest that trolls should be expelled as they are disruptive. Personally, while I agree that ignore is the best tactic most of the time, for the benefit of fellow members especially the newbies, any untrue information and ill advice given should be challenged – and I especially look to the senior members for this.

Following are the links to some advices I find useful:

http://blog.submitlove.com/how-to-de...r-or-hijacker/

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/re...t-with-a-troll

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...al-with-trolls

Most of us are in here for some common purposes, so I believe it is of our common interest too to keep this a tidy, friendly and fun place, although we don’t always agree with each other on certain subjects. This is evident by the act of fellow members - some of whom I know do not see eye-to-eye with each other, stepping out to expose the trolls in this forum. However, every time a troll caused havoc, we lost some trust in this space that we interact so often. Every new member looks suspicious, and some members might even be discouraged from posting. And, do you also notice that they are less gatherings being organised openly lately (apart from the anniversary dinner)?

Let's learn to deal with these trolls and not let them spoil our funs here.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

In one were to be involved in a heated argument, it would be easy for one to speak (and I mean 'speak') at the spur of the moment things that one would regret later. But in the case of internet postings one is often given the benefit of deliberation before pressing the 'post quick reply' or 'submit' button. I tend to believe that 'trolls' who post unpleasant remarks either have a dark side in their personality or a hidden agenda. At the minimum they have not thought through their argument (but if they did they would not be 'trolls' in the first place.)

In any case expelling 'trolls' is an extreme measure which should be exercised with due caution. The best approach is for the 'sensible majority' to simply ignore them or avoid direct confrontation with them.

Comment

Trolls need people to "feed" them

So easiest way is to "stop feeding" them

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmaniac View Post
        Trolls need people to "feed" them

So easiest way is to "stop feeding" them
        So true. Ignore them.

Comment

In my personal opinion .. The best way to deal with the keyboard warriors is to give them the "ban" and closed the thread but then this is not a bulletproof plan and I'm sure there won't be any bullet proof plan.

Comment

Back-troll them.

Diamond cuts Diamond.

Comment

This is taken from the forum advisory.

6) Posting of misleading information is strictly prohibited. Any member who commit such an act will be dealt with accordingly without prejudice by administrators and/or moderators.

And this is the definition of troll use by the forum.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

With these rules in place and also not to engage them in any exchange of words. We should help the mods by highlighting the action of these troll whenever they step out of line so as the mods can look into and if it is true appropriate action should be taken by the mods on these troll.
              But on the other hand, if anyone go on the witch hunt without valid cause you might be deem as "a person who sow discord on the internet". You will be no different as a troll. So the mods might come after you.
              This is just my tot.

Comment

there're 2 ways I handle trolls.

1. provide facts from online sources so that members are aware and not be misguided. in this way, there's then a limit to what trolls claim or can do and you don't get the long-winded threads, giving them opportunity to fuel the flame. I see this as every member's responsibilities by providing facts and findings from reliable sources to keep the integrity and friendliness of the forum. it also educates and facilitates info sharing amongst members
                2. ignore them when you know it's a pointless thread that gets everybody no where. be more selective when it comes to contributing to a thread

it's pretty pointless to ban them because they can come back using a different nick

just my thoughts.
                I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                Audemars Piguet ROO
                Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                Panerai 270
                Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                Rolex 116610LV
                Vacheron Constantin Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                  Let’s face it - internet/forum trolls are here to stay. In fact, trolls exist since the beginning of internet era and have become very common these days among forums, blogs and social networks. Being one of the popular and vibrant forums in SG, it is no surprise that SG-ROC has become a playground of trolls.

Simply google “how to deal with trolls” or “how to deal with forum trolls” and you will get tons of advices and discussions on this subject. Most recommend the ignore tactic, with some also suggest that trolls should be expelled as they are disruptive. Personally, while I agree that ignore is the best tactic most of the time, for the benefit of fellow members especially the newbies, any untrue information and ill advice given should be challenged – and I especially look to the senior members for this.

Following are the links to some advices I find useful:

http://blog.submitlove.com/how-to-de...r-or-hijacker/

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/re...t-with-a-troll

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...al-with-trolls

And, do you also notice that they are less gatherings being organised openly lately (apart from the anniversary dinner)?

Well maybe Mod should organise more gathering and I would be glad to joint if my time permit.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
                    there're 2 ways I handle trolls.

1. provide facts from online sources so that members are aware and not be misguided. in this way, there's then a limit to what trolls claim or can do and you don't get the long-winded threads, giving them opportunity to fuel the flame. I see this as every member's responsibilities by providing facts and findings from reliable sources to keep the integrity and friendliness of the forum. it also educates and facilitates info sharing amongst members
                    2. ignore them when you know it's a pointless thread that gets everybody no where. be more selective when it comes to contributing to a thread

it's pretty pointless to ban them because they can come back using a different nick

just my thoughts.
                    Agree with your two points.

As for banning, sometimes it is necessary in order to reduce the risk of others being misguided by such trolls. The more well-informed members may not always be around or always bother to correct the trolls' ill advice. And if a known troll really want to turn good, he would probably want to leave his bad name and start a "new life" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick View Post
                      Back-troll them.

Diamond cuts Diamond.
                      I have learned that it doesn't t work. In the end the mods had to ban the troll to stop the never-ending meaningless argument.

Comment

Re-posting what I mentioned in another thread earlier...

I once discussed this (the subject of troll) with one of the mods, and we both agreed that if a banned member returns for good this community would have a space for him.

The above is the personal view of me and that mod, and does not represent the forum's position (which is why I used the word community instead of forum). However, I believe the rule-setter of this forum has a big heart and wouldn't mind one's past. After all, every of us have during our life did or said something we aren't proud of.

Comment

Magnanimity is a virtue. I think most - if not all - of our Mods are 'moderate' people...

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghaied View Post
                            Magnanimity is a virtue. I think most - if not all - of our Mods are 'moderate' people...
                            Magnanimity I understand, but...what is 'moderate' people?

Comment

My feeble attempt at playing a pun has failed miserably...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X