Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would less anonymity do good to the community in this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would less anonymity do good to the community in this forum?

Recently I observe that some members start to sign off their posts with their name, and I assume those are real names. There are also two or three members who actively post pictures taken from their daily life, sharing with members a small glimpse of their personal life.

Personally I do appreciate all those, as I feel it demonstrates a certain openness and sincerity of a person, which is obviously quite important for making friends. Not that I am going to follow suit soon, but I think such are good in a community which we see more and more masked characters with questionable intention. However, going to the extent of posting people's faces like what is done in a certain P forum, has its down side, in my opinion (and if I am not wrong that is not allowed in this forum anyway).

Open for kopi talk...
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Personally have no issue with less privacy, I know other (car) forums, where real-name is even compulsory.
    But for Rolex forum, can fully understand that a certain degree of privacy might be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Danwo82 View Post
      Personally have no issue with less privacy, I know other (car) forums, where real-name is even compulsory.
      But for Rolex forum, can fully understand that a certain degree of privacy might be necessary.
      Different people may not have the same view of what "privacy" is. Some may be completely alright with revealing name and age to strangers for example, while others may see publishing phone number on forum as compromising privacy.

My thinking is that an environment with less anonymity would encourage more open and polite interaction and discourage lies and rude behaviour. The million dollar question is, how less is less?

It's interesting to learn that there are forums that require real name - you are not referring to using real name as nick as compulsory or are you? I am interested to know why you said that "for Rolex forum, can fully understand that a certain degree of privacy might be necessary", and don't have the same opinion for a car forum?

Comment

It's indeed the case that you need to indicate your real name for this car forum. It's about the Nurburgring race track in Germany, a community of private drivers there.
        Real name is less an issue there, since the members might meet at the track anyway.
        What I mean with a difference from a car forum to Rolex forum is, that some people might not want their name to appear in combination with very expensive watches. E.g. people in sales etc.
        Maybe I'm wrong in that point

Comment

Sometimes, right or wrong it depends on where and when it happen.

And is very subjective.

Different channel for different audience.

::::: ::::: ::::: ::::: :::::

Comment

I would prefer the flexibility of letting members decide what they want to state, real name or nicks. I think in order to be a inclusive forum there must be some option for each to choose (within the rules of the forum), or unless sgroc want to be exclusive like the car forum stated in the earlier post.
            As to achieve trust and openness in the forum it can be done through gtg which I appreciate a lot in getting to know each other better and also putting aface to the nick.
            I don't think it is wise as each one of us have different life experience in making friends, some good, some not so good and some super bad. So if want to state real name might drive some away.
            So my take is that those of are ready should go and participate in gtg to see live of each others and those who are not ready take your time no hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Derick View Post
              Sometimes, right or wrong it depends on where and when it happen.

And is very subjective.

Different channel for different audience.

::::: ::::: ::::: ::::: :::::
              Erh...no one was trying to say what is right or wrong. Just throwing the question of whether this or that is better for this community as the title suggests, for kopi-talk discussion

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                I would prefer the flexibility of letting members decide what they want to state, real name or nicks. I think in order to be a inclusive forum there must be some option for each to choose (within the rules of the forum), or unless sgroc want to be exclusive like the car forum stated in the earlier post.
                As to achieve trust and openness in the forum it can be done through gtg which I appreciate a lot in getting to know each other better and also putting aface to the nick.
                I don't think it is wise as each one of us have different life experience in making friends, some good, some not so good and some super bad. So if want to state real name might drive some away.
                So my take is that those of are ready should go and participate in gtg to see live of each others and those who are not ready take your time no hurry.
                Fair comments

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
                  Remind me what PM Lee said in his national day speech that the top primary schools should be inclusive not exclusive

Comment

Missed the speech, was busy coaching my son for his CA2 :' (.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                    Remind me what PM Lee said in his national day speech that the top primary schools should be inclusive not exclusive

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                      Recently I observe that some members start to sign off their posts with their name, and I assume those are real names. There are also two or three members who actively post pictures taken from their daily life, sharing with members a small glimpse of their personal life.

Personally I do appreciate all those, as I feel it demonstrates a certain openness and sincerity of a person, which is obviously quite important for making friends. Not that I am going to follow suit soon, but I think such are good in a community which we see more and more masked characters with questionable intention. However, going to the extent of posting people's faces like what is done in a certain P forum, has its down side, in my opinion (and if I am not wrong that is not allowed in this forum anyway).

Open for kopi talk...
                      I feel that if you wish to share a handsome/pretty picture of yourself that's fine, as long as you are comfortable. But if it's like a group shot, we won't allow to put up photos as some may feel uncomfortable that their pictures are posted up.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        I feel that if you wish to share a handsome/pretty picture of yourself that's fine, as long as you are comfortable. But if it's like a group shot, we won't allow to put up photos as some may feel uncomfortable that their pictures are posted up.
                        Thanks for clarifying the rule, and message well noted. That is as good as telling me not to post my face...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X