How low to be considered low ballers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low to be considered low ballers?

Was browsing thru the garage sections for a pre own timepiece and came across sellers with, 'low ballers pls stay away, no low ballers'... etc.

How low is considered low ballers exactly?

Depends... there are serious motivated sellers who will list a realistic market price, and the room for negotiation may be zero. Then there are those with unrealistic out of market prices (maybe to test market or not in a hurry to sell). Negotiating $100 to the 1st group may be perceived as reasonable but to the 2nd group,you may be labeled as low baller.
    elusive

Comment

Do your market survey first before u counter offer. There are plenty of info in this forum. Also, once agreed on the price and u think wanna back out, kindly inform the seller as i think most of us are ok with that. Just don't be a time waster, simply vanish in the air and don't reply to sms.

Comment

Below dealer buy in price

Comment

Originally posted by sty13
          according to wikipedia, lowballers are sellers who offer lower sell price then subsequently increase the price
          so why on earth are sellers here telling buyers 'no lowballers'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-ball

The low-ball is a persuasion and selling technique in which an item or service is offered at a lower price than is actually intended to be charged, after which the price is raised to increase profits.

An explanation for the effect is provided by cognitive dissonance theory. If a person is already enjoying the prospect of an excellent deal and the future benefits of the item or idea, then backing out would create cognitive dissonance, which is prevented by playing down the negative effect of the "extra" costs.

Low-ball technique

A successful low-ball relies on the balance of making the initial request attractive enough to gain agreement, whilst not making the second request so outrageous that the customer refuses.

First propose an attractive price on an idea/item which you are confident that the other person/buyer will accept.
          Maximize their buy-in, in particular by getting both verbal and public commitment to this, e.g., a down payment or a handshake.
          Make it clear that the decision to purchase is of their own free will.
          Change the agreement to what you really want. The person/buyer may complain, but they should agree to the change if the low-ball is managed correctly.
          To me it's an over used term. Perhaps new sellers see this being posted in many earlier sales postings and just simply follow suit without thinking too much. And without considering if it would be detrimental or has a counter effect on generating buyer interests. Frankly I find that putting a comment such as low baller stay far far away or saying low ballers look elsewhere etc reeks of arrogance and gives me the impression that seller is not very keen to sell or has unrealistic expectations, and I will stay far far away even if I have a fair market price in mind.

As a seller, i will rather just list the relevant factual details in the ad content, list a reasonable and realistic asking price and leave it there as it is.
          elusive

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
            To me it's an over used term. Perhaps new sellers see this being posted in many earlier sales postings and just simply follow suit without thinking too much. And without considering if it would be detrimental or has a counter effect on generating buyer interests. Frankly I find that putting a comment such as low baller stay far far away or saying low ballers look elsewhere etc reeks of arrogance and gives me the impression that seller is not very keen to sell or has unrealistic expectations, and I will stay far far away even if I have a fair market price in mind.

As a seller, i will rather just list the relevant factual details in the ad content, list a reasonable and realistic asking price and leave it there as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike123 View Post
              Do your market survey first before u counter offer. There are plenty of info in this forum. Also, once agreed on the price and u think wanna back out, kindly inform the seller as i think most of us are ok with that. Just don't be a time waster, simply vanish in the air and don't reply to sms.
              Yes, fully with you.
              These are the worst.
              Verbal confirm but then disappear into thin air
              As you mentioned, we are all steady people.
              Dont want dont buy, dont want dont sell. No problem.
              But at least say so to conclude the communication.

Comment

Anyway, why be even bothered.

As seller, if price too far away, just say no or ignore, no loss.
                As buyer, go ahead and make offer but if you dont get any answer, no loss.

Whats the big deal?

Comment

There is no right or wrong.

Willing seller willing buyer.

I ever come across buyer actually was a 3rd class mini-dealer who does not want to come out cash to carry stock. He posted a dummy advertisment for the same item at same price hope that he can bargain for a very low price. Every now and then ask me is it still available.

Another bad experienced, once I meet the buyer for viewing. After long negotiation I agreed with the price and he said did not bring the cash. So, we meet next day. Next day he did not turn-up and reject my call.

Well, I got to take it. I m ok.

Comment

+ 1 can't agree more

Comment

see no marni no talk
                      at least take deposit to confirm deal

Comment

Agreed with you. Normally when I see this sentence will think if I should offer anot.

Comment

Frankly I think as with the sale of all used items, both the buyer and seller will always have a price in mind.
                          Buyer should be free to offer and seller should be free to counter offer.

If a price cannot be agreed upon, then no sale.
                          Some sellers have hard feelings.

For me personally it's no big deal.
                          I like meeting buyers/sellers to chit chat about a common interest.
                          It's not a business so buying/selling at the end of the day is just a bonus

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned View Post
                            Frankly I think as with the sale of all used items, both the buyer and seller will always have a price in mind.
                            Buyer should be free to offer and seller should be free to counter offer.

If a price cannot be agreed upon, then no sale.
                            Some sellers have hard feelings.

For me personally it's no big deal.
                            I like meeting buyers/sellers to chit chat about a common interest.
                            It's not a business so buying/selling at the end of the day is just a bonus
                            Well said, had gotten a new friend with my previous purchase from this forum

Comment

What if the seller price is already very reasonable and yet alot of lowballers are offering way below asking price.
                              just an example, seller selling 116660 bnib for $11800 and buyer offers $10000.
                              i believe all sellers are motivated to sell their watch or else why they even bother to waste their time to post, just that they have experienced too many lowballers buyer disturbing them, thus the statement of lowballers pls stay far far away appears.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X