Am I Over Wearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Over Wearing

Hi guys. Just wondering my auto watch continuous motion nonstop running. My job is to drive public, the road that I must travel quite narrow, turn left turn right at all time, every day I have to work about 12 to 14 hours, 15 minute resting, drive 2 solid hours, from I start my duty till I end my duty, now I require to wave my hand to show my passenger they are welcome at all time, went they alighting & boarding my service. This is not including my part time job has car jockey, same require to wave my hand, the small parking lot design quite narrow, I must turn left turn right. Total hours of working accumulate up to 16 hours a day, please don't advise me about overworking, I used to it for more than 10 years, my point is Am I Over Wearing, maybe overwinding. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Most Swiss Watches have something known as Incabloc. It prevents over-winding. This device is common in Swiss automatic movements from the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by clocking View Post
      Hi guys. Just wondering my auto watch continuous motion nonstop running. My job is to drive public, the road that I must travel quite narrow, turn left turn right at all time, every day I have to work about 12 to 14 hours, 15 minute resting, drive 2 solid hours, from I start my duty till I end my duty, now I require to wave my hand to show my passenger they are welcome at all time, went they alighting & boarding my service. This is not including my part time job has car jockey, same require to wave my hand, the small parking lot design quite narrow, I must turn left turn right. Total hours of working accumulate up to 16 hours a day, please don't advise me about overworking, I used to it for more than 10 years, my point is Am I Over Wearing, maybe overwinding. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
      No you are not. Dont worry. You cant overwind an auto watch.

Comment

Originally posted by zquek View Post
        Most Swiss Watches have something known as Incabloc. It prevents over-winding. This device is common in Swiss automatic movements from the 80s.
        Incabloc is shock protection mechanism that protect the balance wheel pivot from damage against shock, not overwinding.

However most/all modern auto wind watch does have winding protection system but theorically if you do it for prolong period of time, ie. Overwind day after day in the winder for years. will still cause great amount of wear when the mainspring keep 'slipping' inside the barrel. So I think still not advisable.
        Last edited by Alexlow; 13-03-14, 02:43 AM.

Comment

A watch is simply a piece of machinery.
          Obviously the more usage the more wear and tear in the gears and the spring etc...
          Auto watches are built to run for years non stop
          You basically cannot overwind it, but over many years , the wear and tear is normal
          But the question is, are you the slave or is the watch the slave

Ps. This doesnt mean that you must bash the watch or use it as a hammer, haha
          However, it means having the ability to wear it without a heavy burden or worry in your mind.
          Otherwise, no point lah, no point....

Comment

Initially , I thought you going to show a person wearing more than 1 watch. 1 left and 1 right .

Comment

Hi guys. Just wondering my auto watch continuous motion nonstop running... Total hours of working accumulate up to 16 hours a day, please don't advise me about overworking, I used to it for more than 10 years, my point is Am I Over Wearing, maybe overwinding...
              if your rotor has no ball bearings (most rolex watches) and you wear it for 10 years under extremely hard conditions, then yes, it will wear and tear more than rotors with ball bearings or most watches on average.

most rolex watches have no bearings on the axle. but remember - they've always held up quite well to abuse much worse than what you go through (think of special forces soldiers and divers in the 60s and 70s that wear the same "work" watch day in and day out).

if you service it faithfully, you are not "over wearing" your watch. a properly working and serviced automatic watch cannot be over wound. so like vehicles - you don't have to wash the outside or inside, but you MUST service it to keep it running optimally.
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by zquek View Post
                Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
                  Incabloc is shock protection mechanism that protect the balance wheel pivot from damage against shock, not overwinding.

However most/all modern auto wind watch does have winding protection system but theorically if you do it for prolong period of time, ie. Overwind day after day in the winder for years. will still cause great amount of wear when the mainspring keep 'slipping' inside the barrel. So I think still not advisable.
                  Thank you no problem I got the Message.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                    No you are not. Dont worry. You cant overwind an auto watch.
                    Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                    A watch is simply a piece of machinery.
                    Obviously the more usage the more wear and tear in the gears and the spring etc...
                    Auto watches are built to run for years non stop
                    You basically cannot overwind it, but over many years , the wear and tear is normal
                    But the question is, are you the slave or is the watch the slave

Ps. This doesnt mean that you must bash the watch or use it as a hammer, haha
                    However, it means having the ability to wear it without a heavy burden or worry in your mind.
                    Otherwise, no point lah, no point....
                    From your strong advised I no more longer worry.
                    Thanks bro Trinidad!

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                      if your rotor has no ball bearings (most rolex watches) and you wear it for 10 years under extremely hard conditions, then yes, it will wear and tear more than rotors with ball bearings or most watches on average.

most rolex watches have no bearings on the axle. but remember - they've always held up quite well to abuse much worse than what you go through (think of special forces soldiers and divers in the 60s and 70s that wear the same "work" watch day in and day out).

if you service it faithfully, you are not "over wearing" your watch. a properly working and serviced automatic watch cannot be over wound. so like vehicles - you don't have to wash the outside or inside, but you MUST service it to keep it running optimally.
                      Got you. Can't be over wearing, am I right can't be overwind, even I use low price watch winder, my setting 5 minutes run 2 minutes rest, only on in the morning off at night. If i service it faithfully, held up quite well am I right but don't wear also must go for service. Bro taxico thank you!

Comment

...but don't wear also must go for service...
                        not necessarily - if you don't wear it for one year but shake it about once a month to prevent the lubricants from stagnating, the service interval can probably be extended by a full year (IMO). modern watch lubes are quite durable.

just like if your car is not driven regularly, but you start it a few times a week and run it for some time, engine-wise it can probably go beyond the recommended servicing date.
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Alright Bro taxico!. So no issue that I over wearing even under extremely hard conditions more than my cheap watch winder, cuz I need servicing accordingly to keep it running optimally. I also like to double confirm with Bro Alexlow..

not necessarily - if you don't wear it for one year but shake it about once a month to prevent the lubricants from stagnating, the service interval can probably be extended by a full year (IMO). modern watch lubes are quite durable.

just like if your car is not driven regularly, but you start it a few times a week and run it for some time, engine-wise it can probably go beyond the recommended servicing date.
                          If I don't wear it just shake it about once a month am I right. How long can the service interval probably be extended, wearing non stop about 5 to 7 years, if just shake it about once a month, probably like 10 years?.. Thanks Bro taxico!.

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
                          Yes Bro Alexlow! my Rolex & Panerai modern auto. I wear it everyday & due to my job scope extremely over wearing more than my cheap watch winder. Cuz if I use my cheap winder, I on about 6am I off about 8pm, run 5 minutes rest 2 minutes slow moving, I wear it everyday turn left turn right non stop for 2 hours, hand wave at every station rest only 15 minutes & I good to go for my next services. Not advisable wear day after day ?.

Comment

i'm a little confused, but let me see if i can understand it...

...If I don't wear it just shake it about once a month am I right. How long can the service interval probably be extended, wearing non stop about 5 to 7 years, if just shake it about once a month, probably like 10 years?...
                            if it was me, and i wear my brand new rolex watch daily as a class 5 full time driver on my left hand in singapore, and i work for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, i will service it soon after the watch's 6th birthday.

if suddenly on the third year, i stop wearing it for one year (but i still shake it gently once a month), then start to wear it again everyday after that one year (on the fourth year), i will service it soon after the watch's 7th birthday.

if at any time after the 5th year, the timing suddenly goes haywire - eg, 2 minutes fast/day. or if the watch starts acting funny, eg, cannot keep power. i will send it in for a service.

i hope that is clear enough... ???

Comment

if it was me, and i wear my brand new rolex watch daily as a class 5 full time driver on my left hand in singapore, and i work for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, i will service it soon after the watch's 6th birthday.

if suddenly on the third year, i stop wearing it for one year (but i still shake it gently once a month), then start to wear it again everyday after that one year (on the fourth year), i will service it soon after the watch's 7th birthday.

if at any time after the 5th year, the timing suddenly goes haywire - eg, 2 minutes fast/day. or if the watch starts acting funny, eg, cannot keep power. i will send it in for a service.

i hope that is clear enough... ???
                              Got it bro taxico!. As long 5 years for everyday crazy wear alright for me, I pay with what I wear, not pay with what I keep. Just to make it clear, I don't mean wear it on left or right hand, the services the I do, turn left turn right at all time, must travel quite narrow, beyond class 5 capability. I used to worked class 5 full time driver more sleep than work.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X