Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you trade/re-sell a gift to someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you trade/re-sell a gift to someone?

Getting inspiration from an earlier thread :

http://www.sgrolexclub.com/threads/1...re-own-as-gift

I will like to seek some opinions here. Will you trade/re-sell those watches that you have bought as gifts for your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/Mother/Father/siblings.. to later buy him/her a new one?

Let's share
    The Crown Of Achievement

for me i guess it is dependent on gift was given for what occasion? anniversary?

for example, I was given a watch from my family when I first started work, I will never sell it though I seldom wear it now....

I am actually also thinking of reselling a watch (gift from wife) for another watch....and I don't think it was given to me for any SPECIAL occasion or anniversary thingie... hmmmm.....getting old with bad memories.....haha....

Comment

haha.. that's always a dilemma isn't it

The gift(s) may be one given to you, or what you give to your loved ones. For example, you bought several watches for your wife over the years and gradually she wears them lesser and lesser. Some time later, you wanted to change your watch collections and wonder if you should sell off some of her watches to buy her a new one (may be two or more).

Will you do it? What if she minds?
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Haha she minds or not think only she can answer...

Comment

here's my experience:

when i was in upper secondary school... my best friend (later girlfriend... now wife) bought me a timex with date and power reserve indicator (seagull base movement but brand new from store so it was a few hundred bucks and quite a lot of money for a high school student back in the 90s) because she knew i liked complicated watches and that was the best she could "afford".

i appreciated the thought - but later asked for her permission to sell it because i just did not wear it and i didn't know what to do with that watch.

she said okay and the deed was done. i think i spent the money on motorcycle parts. or something so insignificant now i cannot remember it. i will always remember the blue timex that i can no longer hold in my hands.

from time to time, she brings it up. so my advice is: if it's a cheap watch, just keep it. it might not mean much to you but it means a lot to the person who gifted you the watch.

as for watches that i have given her... my wife doesn't like me to get rid of them even though she doesn't wear them. it reminds her of the time when i gave her the watch so she doesn't want to give them up even if it no longer works. so my next piece of advice is: if you know the person well enough, your good intentions might be possible but why not save up longer to get him/her another one for another occasion? (esp if it's the wife)

my father always says to take back the more expensive watches i have gifted him so i can use the money elsewhere... he says doesn't mind wearing the cheapest watch i have given him as the price/brand makes no difference to him (so long it keeps good time). my last piece of advice is: probably only collectors/the minority care for having more than one watch or "upgrading" to a "better" watch. your money may be better spent elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by seizure View Post
            here's my experience:

when i was in upper secondary school... my best friend (later girlfriend... now wife) bought me a timex with date and power reserve indicator (seagull base movement but brand new from store so it was a few hundred bucks and quite a lot of money for a high school student back in the 90s) because she knew i liked complicated watches and that was the best she could "afford".

i appreciated the thought - but later asked for her permission to sell it because i just did not wear it and i didn't know what to do with that watch.

she said okay and the deed was done. i think i spent the money on motorcycle parts. or something so insignificant now i cannot remember it. i will always remember the blue timex that i can no longer hold in my hands.

from time to time, she brings it up. so my advice is: if it's a cheap watch, just keep it. it might not mean much to you but it means a lot to the person who gifted you the watch.

as for watches that i have given her... my wife doesn't like me to get rid of them even though she doesn't wear them. it reminds her of the time when i gave her the watch so she doesn't want to give them up even if it no longer works. so my next piece of advice is: if you know the person well enough, your good intentions might be possible but why not save up longer to get him/her another one for another occasion? (esp if it's the wife)

my father always says to take back the more expensive watches i have gifted him so i can use the money elsewhere... he says doesn't mind wearing the cheapest watch i have given him as the price/brand makes no difference to him (so long it keeps good time). my last piece of advice is: probably only collectors/the minority care for having more than one watch or "upgrading" to a "better" watch. your money may be better spent elsewhere!
            my brother didn't log out from my laptop and i used his account to post here... the above reply was written by me.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

My observation here in this forum and from people I know, some do re-sell or trade-in watches they bought for their wives/girlfriends, for other (or newer) watches over time.
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I wont sell my gifts..

Comment

It is not merely about selling yours. It is about selling what you have given to your wife/husband, and using the money to buy another gift(s) for her/him.
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I won't sell anything that I bought for my wife. It is more about the sentimental value rather than the financial value.

Comment

fine to lose money, not fine to lose relationships

Comment

My advise is never sell anything which your current gf/wife bought for you, they will rememeber forever... Ex can!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by meanjean View Post
                          fine to lose money, not fine to lose relationships
                          Agree! Life is already hard enough as it is :P

Comment

only gifts from people at work (colleagues or vendors or clients) who are not in my close circle of friends/family.

Comment

lol after seeing this tread i now remember i have a watch to sell which was a gift to my wife..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X