how the brands depreciate??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
    honestly guys, i've enough experience in this field..i've flipped quite a few watches from Audemars Piguet, Rollies, GP, Tags and etc...incurred losses but i still like the experience of flipping my watches..

pre-owned shop will take in 25-35% of the price you paid for your watch (that's why they'll always ask you how much you paid for it)..then they'll mark up 20% min. This will give a perception that you pay 50-60% off the new list price of that watch. Example, Rollie DJ's take in price now is $2.3-3.3K max (for watch lesser than 2 yrs and with B&P)...they'll then sell for $4.5-5.8K..u figure out their profits...still, it's 50% cheaper than buying brand new. If you sell them higher end watches such as AP..example AP RO, take in is $6-8K...they'll sell $11-12K (market price now)...

few ways to make money or at least dun lose so much:

1. to make money, u need to buy limited edition watches (those 20 pieces per year) or high end complication watches ie tourbillons, golden bridges and perpetual calendars etc...easily cost $70K above..hold it for 2-3 yrs then sell it to make $$

2. be adventurous...go for some new independent watchmaker/brands...such as Urwerk, VH, MBf and etc...because they're small...their supply is limited and you need to wait/pre-order 2-3 yrs to get the watch..for new watch brands, you need to know who's their CEO, who's doing the marketing, designer and etc...imagine this, when PAM was first launched several yrs ago...the watch costs only $3K after disc..now?

3. Lobangs...understood lah..if u can get staff purchase % or get invited to their private preview sale (Richemont's individual brand has it once a year...u can really find some good bargains there) ...u'll pay so much lesser hence either u lose lesser $ when flipping or even make $. staff purchase is usually 40% but now a lot of brands have policies that they're allowed to buy but can't sell it..staff watches are now engraved or have some form of identification distinguishing them from others...if they're found to sell them..they may be fired..

4. buy pre-owned watches that are under warranty..this will definitely save u lotsa of $$..go for those still under warranty...utilize them before it expires. A tip: for most brands, once u send it in for servicing..the warranty extends by another year (and yr watch is as good as new)...some/most of you will not like buying pre-owned watches..but this is just a mindset that can be conditioned...imagine you buy the watch at 40% cheaper than list, when you sell the watch..u'll lose 10-20% at most..

5. Buy from internet..shop smart...u can get some good deals from US internet sellers.

6. Other factors like demand and supply also have to be considered...Daytonas and Rollie GMT are fine example that you may be able to make some $$ over 3-5 yrs period

treat this as a hobby and not investment...in my humble opinion..

cheers

james
    1. Wah that is abit crazy la,at that price I could get myself a nice car? But then again a car value depreciates like dunno wad...hahaha

2. True,this 1 I agree,hopefully u buy 1 of those unknown brands and it becomes popular next time.

I agree with 4 and 6. But 6 u hav to be careful later u pay so much no interest already then jialat...haha....

5 is just practise caution...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

hmmmm...

am looking at preowned PO, railmaster.... any comments?

40% to 50% off for a 2 years old preowned is too hard to resist...

Comment

Originally posted by buaysaikum View Post
        hmmmm...

am looking at preowned PO, railmaster.... any comments?

40% to 50% off for a 2 years old preowned is too hard to resist...
        These kind of watches better to buy preowned,coz brand new means you are gonna get less than that. Hahhaa..GO FOR IT

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Very logical explanation by wolfeyes1974...
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X