Where to learn watch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to learn watch repair

Hi, I wonder if there are courses teaching watch repair here. I know how to repair some clocks after attending a course in the UK some time ago and would like to move into watches. Thanks for any tips.

technical college? private courses?
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

For the hobbyist. Thanks

Comment

how to differentiate the skill between hobbyist and career? both also need to learn from somewhere
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Hi, both the BHI and NAWCC in the UK and USA have basic courses for the hobbyist that do not lead to a paper qualification needed for career. So whilst there is overlap in what a hobbyist and career, the skill demands for a career and more.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

You can try to ask JW, he used to teach previously......

Comment

Stanley, u open classs lah.. start with maybe 2-3 disciples... hehehe
              In The Bag
              Him
              Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
              Her
              Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
              Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

For all you know, there may be a strong interest because watch collecting is such a big hobby here.

I learned basic antique clock repair because I started collecting clocks. The costs can really mount up when one's collection starts growing and they begin to need servicing.

Comment

Originally posted by elyjacob View Post
                  Stanley, u open classs lah.. start with maybe 2-3 disciples... hehehe
                  Aiyah, I've not reach to that kind of mentor level to teach others lah.......
                  hehehe........

Comment

Originally posted by eteo View Post
                    For all you know, there may be a strong interest because watch collecting is such a big hobby here.

I learned basic antique clock repair because I started collecting clocks. The costs can really mount up when one's collection starts growing and they begin to need servicing.
                    Hi, something to share..........
                    Actually, repairing clocks & watches only differ by a thin margin. As long as you know the basics of dismantling & assembling clocks, watches are more or less the same. In fact, most senior technicians start with grandfather clocks before they advance with watches.
                    I begin watch repairing initially with the basic Seiko 5s (cost factor without guidance at that time) and then etas, then rolexes, then automatic chronographs, then grandfather clocks~all with lessons taught by an experienced Swiss trained watchmaker.

Comment

Originally posted by horologyfanatic View Post
                      Aiyah, I've not reach to that kind of mentor level to teach others lah.......
                      hehehe........
                      actually i also looking for mentorlah... it is a good skill to have..
                      In The Bag
                      Him
                      Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
                      Her
                      Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
                      Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

Originally posted by horologyfanatic View Post
                        Hi, something to share..........
                        Actually, repairing clocks & watches only differ by a thin margin. As long as you know the basics of dismantling & assembling clocks, watches are more or less the same. In fact, most senior technicians start with grandfather clocks before they advance with watches.
                        I begin watch repairing initially with the basic Seiko 5s (cost factor without guidance at that time) and then etas, then rolexes, then automatic chronographs, then grandfather clocks~all with lessons taught by an experienced Swiss trained watchmaker.
                        Hi Stan,

Did you have to pay that time?

Comment

I maybe starting one soon, will update you if interested

Comment

Originally posted by watch butler View Post
                            I maybe starting one soon, will update you if interested
                            Keen to learn more too....update & keep me inform!!!

Thanks

Comment

Sure

Originally posted by st11_mini View Post
                              Keen to learn more too....update & keep me inform!!!

Thanks

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X