Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we peg to market rates: HDB

Why we peg to market rates: HDB
    Letter from Ignatius Lourdesamy Deputy Director (Marketing & Projects) for Director (Estate Administration & Property), Housing & Development Board
    05:55 AM Sep 25, 2009

I REFER to the letter "It's not all about the numbers", (Sept 16) by Mr See Leong Kit.

It is misleading for Mr See to use the example of flats at Pinnacle@Duxton to conclude that HDB is profiteering from the sale of public housing flats. HDB is able to recover the cost for some projects, while incurring significant losses for others. Overall, in the last three years, HDB incurred an average deficit of $1,045 million a year in its home ownership programme. This cost subsidy, which has to be financed by the Government, is reported in HDB's audited financial statements.

Why does HDB benchmark its flat prices to market in spite of these huge deficits? Because this is the fairest way of pricing new HDB flats while ensuring equitable distribution of subsidies.

How is this done? HDB first determines a flat's equivalent market price by taking into account various factors such as location, finishes for the flat and other attributes. This price reflects the flat's value at the point of sale. It is what people are willing to pay in the open market. HDB then sells the flat at a significant discount, which is the subsidy given by the Government.

Market-based pricing is fairer to all buyers because it allows buyers to receive similar levels of subsidy regardless of market movements and fluctuations in development costs. Mr See states that the Pinnacle@Duxton flats were re-launched at an average selling price "which is $180,000 higher than initial launch prices (in 2004)". If HDB were to sell those flats at 2004 prices as Mr See suggests, it would be giving Pinnacle buyers today an additional subsidy of $180,000. This is not fair to those buying other HDB flats today, or indeed to all taxpayers.

A market-based pricing approach ensures that all groups of buyers at any point in time enjoy similar subsidies, and balances the demand for new and resale flats.

It is illogical for Mr See to attribute the increase in property prices to HDB, because the recent appreciation in asset and equity values is not unique to Singapore. Nonetheless, flats remain affordable - first-time flat buyers use 17 to 29 per cent of household income for their loans, below the international benchmark of 30 per cent.

HDB is ramping up new flat supply, up to 8,000 Build-To-Order (BTO) flats this year. HDB's latest BTO project, Punggol Spectra, offers smaller two- and three-room flats with affordable prices that start from $89,000 and $151,000, respectively. HDB will continue to ensure that flats remain affordable.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

flat size getting smaller.

build alot more 3 rm and below, to remain 'affordable' ... wtf

Comment

lucky mine is old flat, reasonably big keek...
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

As far as i know the cost of building a 5 room flat is $50k.

Comment

HDB flat

i wont suprise now days the New HDB was so exp as my wife colleague eyeing on a Executive HDB (resale) at Ubi area which the owner asking for $150k as COV......some how the house was not renovated.....crazy freak
          Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
          Future - Geneva hallmark
          Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

so much hassle over a 99 year old rented home.

HDB is making losses on their flats?? LOL......................i can buy a double storey house across the causeway for 1/2 the price of a HDB flat!

we're not kids!
            Opportunities come once

Comment

if u are able to access construction website/ tender results... u will know wht's the construction cost ... factor in land/ infracture cost etc... no matter how i look at it... it should not be at a lost....

if really a lost, some 1 is not doing a gd job... hahaa

so whn some1 is not doing a good job, want solve problem.. thn increase price loh...

knn... seems like sg dont hv lang chye... solving problem is always not to the roots, but the easiest way out....

"HDB's latest BTO project, Punggol Spectra, offers smaller two- and three-room flats with affordable prices that start from $89,000 and $151,000, respectively. HDB will continue to ensure that flats remain affordable"

last sentences tell u ... can afford.... but downgrade to a small little flat... knn.

hdb has not bn building much 2 - 3 rms flat since dunno whn, but recent few yrs building alot of them... hmmmm ... telling us something ?

Comment

they wont feel it untill they start taking the same annual pay package as us.
                I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Well said Bro Exxondus, the exhorbitant amounts some get paid just to sit in meetings, nitpick reports and correct grammar only to get big bonuses is obscene!
                  Sweet 16:
                  PP Aquanaut
                  VC Overseas
                  AP ROO Black Themes
                  A.Lange & Sohne 1815
                  Breguet Type XXI
                  Blancpain 50 Fathoms
                  JLC Navy Seals
                  GO Senator 60s
                  GP Laureato
                  Zenith Pilot Extra Special
                  Rolex DSSD
                  IWC Big Pilot
                  Pam 112
                  Omega Ploprof
                  Breitling Super Avenger
                  Glycine F104

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                    they wont feel it untill they start taking the same annual pay package as us.
                    which is y they should not peg their pay to the private sector... tink to be fair, wat they should do for the ministers pay is to peg them to the lowest 10% income earners in SG. Average it out and multiply by 10x.

This way, they would be more willing to help out the needy....
                    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Might have snap election next year! U know what to do rite?

Current Collection
                      -------------------
                      GMTIIc SS "M" series
                      PAM 48

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X