UK also envious of SG's MP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK also envious of SG's MP...

There is a growing debate in Britain about whether Members of Parliament (MPs) should be paid higher salaries in the wake of the recent expenses scandal.

British parliamentarians are paid far less than their counterparts in some countries like Singapore, with a Cabinet minister in the UK earning about a quarter of the salary of a Cabinet member in Singapore.

But the British public is unlikely to accept renewed calls for higher pay for parliamentarians.

It has been a tempestuous few months for Westminster, with some MPs exposed as having claimed what the public felt to be outrageous expenses to top up their pay.

And so a wind of change is blowing through Parliament, with radical new rules on the cards on what and how much MPs can claim on expenses. The question is, with expenses curtailed, should salaries therefore rise?

Alex Stevenson, deputy editor, politics.co.uk, said: "The way the expenses system developed was that MPs were told, 'we can't give you a pay rise now, but what you can start to do is claim on this, claim on that'. And a culture developed which led to MPs being paid perhaps much less than they should have been.

"What a lot of MPs are saying now is, 'now that our expenses way of doing things is being completely discredited, we feel that we should be paid more'."

The argument goes that talented people will be put off from public service if MPs' salaries remain far lower than what business leaders, for example, can expect to be paid.

And with the clampdown on expenses, MPs have, in effect, just taken a big pay cut. But none of the party leaders is currently suggesting a pay rise for MPs because they know the public – still angry over expenses – would not stand for it.

"I think the attitude of the British public is very straightforward. They are enraged by what they see as abuses on an enormous scale. And so what they really, really want to see is MPs suffer, not get more money," said Mr Stevenson.

And pollsters in Westminster, studying the mood of the public, said opinion on this matter is pretty clear.

Greig Baker, research director, Comres, said: "In the view of the public, a lot of parliamentarians have been found with their fingers in the till and they're not inclined to give them more money as a way of rewarding their action.

"So the idea of increasing their pay to make up for any cut in expenses is not one that gains any level of public support. Quite the opposite, about 70 per cent of the British public will oppose that very strongly."

British MPs are clearly not about to receive a big pay rise. But the argument for better salaries for parliamentarians is being made more and more loudly here.

So while it will be kicked into the long grass now, the debate is expected to resurface when, and only when, a sense of public trust has been restored in Westminster.

- CNA/so
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

you are a public servent, *IMO* you should be getting paid inline with private sector, not more. Unless one can prove special circumstances otherwise.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

A Public Servant as e name suggested is workin to serve e ppl. .i.e Government, it is wrong to say to peg e wages to e private sector. E private sector has much higher risk, public servant is to help e ppl nt to get rich.
      "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

High Pay

but that's the miw way to eradicating corruption??!!! LMFAO!!!!

Comment

In UK, they've got an intelligent population.

You can bet that the population will make a big hoo-ha if there're any salary increment issues.
          Opportunities come once

Comment

I wonder why would people join the public service if on similar jobs, the person is not paid as much as the private. There is no benefit in joining public service if the pay is lower and it is not an iron ricebowl anymore. Afterall, the same person do have his/her children to bring up and his/her elderly parents to look after.
            "Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled."

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

"If we aren't willing to pay a price for our values, then we should ask ourselves whether we truly believe in them at all."

"先天下之忧而忧 , 后天下之乐而乐"

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
              A Public Servant as e name suggested is workin to serve e ppl. .i.e Government, it is wrong to say to peg e wages to e private sector. E private sector has much higher risk, public servant is to help e ppl nt to get rich.
              if you do not pay enough, ask yourself? will you step up to do the job? 9/10 people will say no. hence my statement that govt = private sector. if you pay under you only get people who come in for the short term (hiding from rain), once times are good, they jump ship.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Dreams Of My Father View Post
                I wonder why would people join the public service if on similar jobs, the person is not paid as much as the private. There is no benefit in joining public service if the pay is lower and it is not an iron ricebowl anymore. Afterall, the same person do have his/her children to bring up and his/her elderly parents to look after.

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                if you do not pay enough, ask yourself? will you step up to do the job? 9/10 people will say no. hence my statement that govt = private sector. if you pay under you only get people who come in for the short term (hiding from rain), once times are good, they jump ship.
                i ask a relative of mine, why he quit politics/pap/mp..?
                he say, than in the 60s, its alot of hard work, not as easy as it is now, even family dispute also come to mp... the main reason he quit was cos of the low pay, only few hundred dollars/ month... as he's not born rich and whn he's still a mp, he was staying at an attap house... so with tht little money, and his dad passing away ... the responsibility to take care of his mom, wife, kids and also a few teenage siblings a huge burden... there's no other choice but to jump ship to a private sector which was 4x his pay in gov... nevertheless, even he's no longer in gov, he still keep intouch and contribute to the ward he once serve.
                as dreams of father mentions, tis ppl still need to feed their family....we fail to show appreciation/ tribute to the ex/ former ppl who build sg, who hv work their butt out in the thn developing sg....who serve with their heart thn their pocket... ..... as of now, the current .. are we, yes, they are being paid well and benefit are good....

if u ask me if we should pay gov top ppl hi $$? Yes
                if u ask me if if we are paying top gov too much ? i say yes also.
                so wht's the balance/ fair package ? at most $1-2m for pm/ minster... ( wht ever they had few yrs ago is more thn enough, dunno why raise til the 3m ).

tis pay issue is always debatable..... but whoever got the job, must like serving the ppl and hv sgrean at heart, not jst pay issues

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X