Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore May Face a Total TV Blackout For World Cup 2010

WTF...

Not even the four compulsory matches will be shown if they failed to secure the rights.
    FIFA is giving the telcos the ultimatum.

IF SINGTEL and StarHub's joint bid to broadcast World Cup soccer matches fails, Singapore will face a total television blackout on the action from South Africa.

Not even the free-to-air telecasts of four critical games will be shown here if the telcos fail to secure the rights from football's world governing body Fifa - at a reported $100million.

The matches are the opening game between host South Africa and Mexico on June 11, the semi-finals on July 6 and 7, and the final on July 11.

SingTel had said earlier that if the joint bid failed, Singapore fans would still get to see those four key matches.

But a SingTel spokesman clarified with The Straits Times on Tuesday that that would not be the case.

'The free-to-air match telecast is dependent on whether the broadcast rights for World Cup 2010 are awarded to Singapore,' the spokesman said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_479632.html
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

haiz, internet still can watch right??
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

2006 was $10m right?
      2010's now $100m...! Wah, our Gahmen shld invest in FIFA ...
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

walau..I guess need to use cloth hangers liao..
        "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Some countries get world cup for free.
          Opportunities come once

Comment

Everyone knows the high price Singtel paid for soccer to beat Starhub, that's why even FIFA wants a piece of $$$.

Comment

We have only ourselves (Singtel and Starhub) to blame. Show the world that we are so desperate!
              If we agree to pay 100m for WC2010, then they will ask for 300M for WC2014 and 500m for WC2018! And remember, the world is supposed to be in a economic recession and they ask for a 10 times increase. Those Angmo really thought we are carrot!!

If telco pay 100M for the matches. And there are 500000 subscribers in Sg, that means each one must pay $200 to watch WC! That's crazy!

I think that would be world record amount anyone in world has to pay to watch a WC that the country is not involved in!

FIFA should make those countries who are playing there pay much more and others who are mere spectators (like us) pay much lower.

Comment

I don mind. they should pay the 100m and then allow the broadcast here.

Cos me always go kopitiam to watch. No matter how much the coffee shop have to pay, kopi price wont increase by 10 times

Kopi Siew Dai please....

jokes aside, if this 100m for all countries that want broadcast rights, or only for Singapore?
                I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i tink i read somewhere that they peg the price to the country's economy or GDP or wat.... so every country pay different price...
                  A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
                    i tink i read somewhere that they peg the price to the country's economy or GDP or wat.... so every country pay different price...
                    Yes tats true. it is pegged to the GDP so for this instance ours should be huge.

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

With internet, so many venues available to watch the World Cup, even in HD or even better... 3D.

There are so many relay stations broadcasting online so this is not so relevant nowadays. Perhaps a good place to start is to search for TVUPlayer.

Comment

Dun think it wil nt be shown as this is e times when Spore Pools can make a killing... how can they nt show??

Comment

Seriously if both singtel n star hub pay 100mil than how much will they charge us to watch all live match? I do enjoy watching football but if it got to pay too much I rather dun watch hahaha and dun let the stupid angmo learn so much $$
                          You'll Never Walk Alone

Comment

how come malaysia free

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/01...orld-cup-2010/

...if those 2 cable tv dont 1 to telecast... we dont get to see loh.....$#@$&^%

MDA should go foot the bill, ask ch5 & ch8 live it..hahhaa...afterall, knn, we hv to pay tv lic $110 and radio lic $27 annually.

wow. . . $110 x 1mill household = $110m, excl radio lic and also biz lic... plus other revenue

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch View Post
                              Yes tats true. it is pegged to the GDP so for this instance ours should be huge.
                              Huge because we have a elite grp of people that earns millions per annum? While the majority of lesser mortals earn not even 60k per annum

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X