'Build bridge to replace Causeway' - Johore Sultan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Build bridge to replace Causeway' - Johore Sultan

JOHOR BARU, MALAYSIA: A bridge should replace the Causeway to boost connectivity between Malaysia and Singapore, said Johor ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.

He said he was willing to be the mediator between both countries to resolve some of the issues including the bridge project, supply of water to the island republic or even extending Singapore's Mass Railway Transit into Johor Baru.

"I do not have a problem with Singapore. We can see each other any time. I think some of the issues between Johor and Singapore can be resolved over a cup of tea," he said.

He hoped that Johor would be consulted in the development of projects in the state in future.

"It is pointless for a person from another state to decide what is good or not good for Johor.

"It must be Johor that decides with the blessing of the Federal Government.

"You must understand Johor's sentiments," Sultan Ibrahim told The Star in an exclusive interview, adding that it was his responsibility to look after the state and people.

"The congestion is bad on both sides of the Causeway.

"We need to improve the public transportation system.

"Why can't we have a bridge and remove the old Causeway?" asked Sultan Ibrahim.

He noted that between 80,000 and 120,000 people used the Causeway each day.

He said a bridge would benefit both countries as it could allow for the movement of small vessels like ferries.

Sultan Ibrahim, who acknowledged that a delegation from Singapore including Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had paid him a courtesy call recently, reminded the republic that whatever it proposed must be a win-win situation.

"It must be a one-for-one kind of deal. No one should be on the losing end," he said, adding that he was against the building of a third link into Singapore.

Sultan Ibrahim also suggested that an environmental impact survey be done before the implementation of any project.

"Look at the Second Link. It used to be a white elephant as people did not want to use it.

"Now, with the development in the area under Iskandar Malaysia, people are using it but it is still only running at 40% capacity," he pointed out.

In 2006, Malaysia - under then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi - scrapped plans to build a crooked "scenic bridge" to replace the 80-year-old Causeway.

The project was the brainchild of former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and the Government forked out an additional hundreds of millions of ringgit for compensation and also to build an alternative route to the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex in Bukit Chagar due to the cancellation.
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

wonder why they so keen to build a new bridge?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by louisoh View Post
      JOHOR BARU, MALAYSIA: A bridge should replace the Causeway to boost connectivity between Malaysia and Singapore, said Johor ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.

He said he was willing to be the mediator between both countries to resolve some of the issues including the bridge project, supply of water to the island republic or even extending Singapore's Mass Railway Transit into Johor Baru.

"I do not have a problem with Singapore. We can see each other any time. I think some of the issues between Johor and Singapore can be resolved over a cup of tea," he said.

He hoped that Johor would be consulted in the development of projects in the state in future.

"It is pointless for a person from another state to decide what is good or not good for Johor.

"It must be Johor that decides with the blessing of the Federal Government.

"You must understand Johor's sentiments," Sultan Ibrahim told The Star in an exclusive interview, adding that it was his responsibility to look after the state and people.

"The congestion is bad on both sides of the Causeway.

"We need to improve the public transportation system.

"Why can't we have a bridge and remove the old Causeway?" asked Sultan Ibrahim.

He noted that between 80,000 and 120,000 people used the Causeway each day.

He said a bridge would benefit both countries as it could allow for the movement of small vessels like ferries.

Sultan Ibrahim, who acknowledged that a delegation from Singapore including Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew had paid him a courtesy call recently, reminded the republic that whatever it proposed must be a win-win situation.

"It must be a one-for-one kind of deal. No one should be on the losing end," he said, adding that he was against the building of a third link into Singapore.

Sultan Ibrahim also suggested that an environmental impact survey be done before the implementation of any project.

"Look at the Second Link. It used to be a white elephant as people did not want to use it.

"Now, with the development in the area under Iskandar Malaysia, people are using it but it is still only running at 40% capacity," he pointed out.

In 2006, Malaysia - under then Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi - scrapped plans to build a crooked "scenic bridge" to replace the 80-year-old Causeway.

The project was the brainchild of former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad and the Government forked out an additional hundreds of millions of ringgit for compensation and also to build an alternative route to the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine complex in Bukit Chagar due to the cancellation.
      So what if one owned many sail boat & yet only can roll Sampun ...right?
      Is a win-win situation on both-end mah" Tell Mahathir can go fly kite !! "Kachup kachup but no action" He is the one kind who love to jump off wif his parachute without know how to operate it!!

Comment

Simple reason...Singapore PSA is getting all the business.

With ships being able to go thru the Johor straits, that would bypass PSA, and bring more business to Tanjung Pelepas Port in south western Johor.

Singapore's unwillingness to agree to the bridge, is of course simply...the contrary.

With the furious reclaimation works done in Tekong, siltation is causing the Johor straits to become shallower than before...

PSA is the top 3 busiest ports in the world, Tanjung Pelepas is a lowly 16th. You do the math...

Too much politics....hahaha
        [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Who pay???

I think it will be a very expensive cup of tea.....

Comment

Originally posted by caeden View Post
            Simple reason...Singapore PSA is getting all the business.

With ships being able to go thru the Johor straits, that would bypass PSA, and bring more business to Tanjung Pelepas Port in south western Johor.

Singapore's unwillingness to agree to the bridge, is of course simply...the contrary.

With the furious reclaimation works done in Tekong, siltation is causing the Johor straits to become shallower than before...

PSA is the top 3 busiest ports in the world, Tanjung Pelepas is a lowly 16th. You do the math...

Too much politics....hahaha
            no lah, it's not abt the port, those big ship cannot go pass the 2nd links also.. some of those big vessel already got draft of more thn 20m leow...... freeboard..also at least another few x more... , those big ship mast ht can reach easily more thn 15 story ht.

so unless the causeway & the 2nd link all very very very hi, if not, those big cargo/ tanker cannot go thru...

Comment

Originally posted by pet View Post
              no lah, it's not abt the port, those big ship cannot go pass the 2nd links also.. some of those big vessel already got draft of more thn 20m leow...... freeboard..also at least another few x more... , those big ship mast ht can reach easily more thn 15 story ht.

so unless the causeway & the 2nd link all very very very hi, if not, those big cargo/ tanker cannot go thru...
              wow...Bro Pet is so knowledgable...power to you...hehehe
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Build an underground tunnel loh.... why must be a bridge?

Comment

hahaha..tunnel ar...mai lar....later kana inferior quality...collapse how...i wun dare to use the tunnel lor...aiyo...

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                    wow...Bro Pet is so knowledgable...power to you...hehehe
                    everytime i go fish os, those super super huge tanker/ cargo pass us... damn huge, must hv at least 300m ( 3 football field length ) go pass us... the ht was like wow, at least more than 10 storey to the bridge ( with mast and elec gadget on top of the bridge, even higer )

but surprisingly, all these huge ship dont generate alot of wave... those small little 30 to 80m tugboat, supplyboat, commercialboat, and patrol boat always rock us ( the fishing boat we on abt 20m, approx close to 70' )

u should know these vessel well lah...u always go there 1... yr playground.. hehee... got ppl kio kway go crew bunk or not ? hahha

Comment

i think is teh - o
                      tea without milk .
                      2014 March - Rolex Deepsea Seadweller V series MK 1 dial ref: 116660

Comment

wah lau eh...mai expose me can bo....kns...me not turtle head leh...how i know whether got ppl kio kway bo...at docks i know sure have de lar....

Comment

wah lau eh...mai expose me can bo....kns...me not turtle head leh...how i know whether got ppl kio kway bo...at docks i know sure have de lar....
                          knn, u supply SYT ( shipping yacht things ) make 50%
                          u supply SYT , make more plus foc incentives ... hahahhaa

Comment

hehehe..me supplier for material needs...not meat vendor leh...got diff de wor...wahahahaha....Bro Pet still as humourous as ever....u go to fish for fish or mermaids....mai ke ke hor....at boat rocking SYTs right .....

Comment

hehehe..me supplier for material needs...not meat vendor leh...got diff de wor...wahahahaha....Bro Pet still as humourous as ever....u go to fish for fish or mermaids....mai ke ke hor....at boat rocking SYTs right .....
                              my meat looking for girls with material needs ...hahahaa.... can trade...got kangtao ? hahahha

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X