Six Ion stalls close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Ion stalls close

The remaining 28 stalls cite bad business - due partly to the lack of sitting space for customers - and high rent as the reason

WHEN it opened to much fanfare in July last year, the Food Hall at basement 4 of Ion Orchard was packed. Several stalls there had long queues of hungry shoppers and stallholders could barely cope.

Now, six of the 34 stalls have closed, the queues are gone and stall assistants at the remaining businesses stand around looking bored. The shuttered stalls, Arinco King, Hokkaido Express, Tokyo Crepe Girl, Lastchocolate.com, Renaldo's and Freddie's Burger, closed shop about a month ago.

The remaining stallholders say that business is bad because the novelty has worn off and customers have no place to sit after buying food. Mr Clement Tan, 33, outlet manager of Japanese takoyaki chain Tsujiki Gindaco, says: 'When we first opened, the queue stretched to the neighbouring shop. Now, we barely have a queue. People came because we were new. I hope they're not sick of our food.'

For Mr Sam Wong, 27, who runs GoGo Franks, which is well known for its prata sausage roll, sales at his outlet in Ang Mo Kio Hub are 'three times better than at Ion. Even the tenants at Ion don't eat here because the snacks are a bit pricey. If we can't even feed our own, how do we feed everyone else? Those who want to spend more money on a full meal will probably go to the restaurants instead of eating at the snack outlets.'

He cut prices at his Ion Orchard outlet 'by about 10 per cent since last year' to attract more customers since competition among the food outlets is stiff. He also says that rent is high and 'even the more popular shops may earn enough only to pay their rent'. All those interviewed declined to say how much rent they are paying.

Student Lynette Sim, 19, says: 'I'm not surprised that stalls are closing down. I'm sure that the rental in Ion is very high, since it is pitched to a crowd that is more well-off.'

Read the full story in The Sunday Times.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_516084.html
    A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Expected...

Comment

more to come....not only that but retail businesses is not any better. If not strong enuf to tahan, there you goo..

Comment

yup... all the landlords want is $$$$$$$$$ .....

most landlord expect tenant to do nice renovation, and also they hv a say in shop reno; and whn lease expire, they ask u to do reno again... and of cos slap retailer with rental increase and a certain percentage cut of the GTO....

how to survive... if can, also pass down to consumers....

i wnt ion for lunch few wks ago, wow, upper floor so quiet....i ask a frd ( who work for landlord ) .... why why so quiet .... u know wht she say ....cos hor, those are hi end retailer, they dont need to serve much customers, cos all hi ticket items.... wow lau ...KNN, tis is beside the pt.... at least hv a good tenant mix tht can pull crowd up lah.... all expensive stuff, even i can afford, i walk walk sian leow... so quiet ... not much chio bu to see... hahhahaha

Comment

soon the empty lot ll replace by others
          Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
          Future - Geneva hallmark
          Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Comment

pet, you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right...... not only rental, renov, they want to control, those landlords also want to control the operation time, trade name (only want "international" brand), promotions, etc... these ppl thought they know how to do business well but everything they said is from textbooks....

Originally posted by pet View Post
            yup... all the landlords want is $$$$$$$$$ .....

most landlord expect tenant to do nice renovation, and also they hv a say in shop reno; and whn lease expire, they ask u to do reno again... and of cos slap retailer with rental increase and a certain percentage cut of the GTO....

how to survive... if can, also pass down to consumers....

i wnt ion for lunch few wks ago, wow, upper floor so quiet....i ask a frd ( who work for landlord ) .... why why so quiet .... u know wht she say ....cos hor, those are hi end retailer, they dont need to serve much customers, cos all hi ticket items.... wow lau ...KNN, tis is beside the pt.... at least hv a good tenant mix tht can pull crowd up lah.... all expensive stuff, even i can afford, i walk walk sian leow... so quiet ... not much chio bu to see... hahhahaha

Comment

No seat how to eat..built more seats lor.. , I predict e next stall to close is a certain bakkua stall.
              "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                pet, you're sooooooooooooooooooooooooo right...... not only rental, renov, they want to control, those landlords also want to control the operation time, trade name (only want "international" brand), promotions, etc... these ppl thought they know how to do business well but everything they said is from textbooks....
                Worst thing ...heard capitamall want all their tenants to upload their POS data to them ...WTF ..... my friend was saying, KNN, sales turnover no secret leow loh... might as well ask ppl ... terng kor hor lang kua.... ( ask ppl to strip and let ppl see )

of all the property firms in singapore... captld one of the biggest, but not a fan ....... from pidemco + dbsland = captld ... thn pop pop up those trust ... wow lau....

CDL ( HL ), SCG, WT, FE etc also see leow more shiok lah...

Comment

It's not easy to run bussiness there as the rental are high and less shoppers
                  Rolex Submariner 116610LV Alphanumeric Series (The Hulk)
                  Rolex GMT Master II 16710 COKE (Stick Dial) D Series

Comment

Not surprising, normally it takes quite a while for a foodcourt to evolve with initial stalls biting the dust. Meanwhile the foodcourt operator will need those naive/hopeful vendors to pay high rental arrangements to sustain the place.

Comment

Originally posted by surestik View Post
                      Not surprising, normally it takes quite a while for a foodcourt to evolve with initial stalls biting the dust. Meanwhile the foodcourt operator will need those naive/hopeful vendors to pay high rental arrangements to sustain the place.
                      Hey, i like tt statement...how true...
                      a sucker born every minute...

Comment

ION is atas place mah..so have to maintain image...hence the high rentals....
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

for me, ion i only look at basement levels. anything on lvl 1 and up is beyond me haha
                          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i dun even dare to venture above level 1....hahahaha.....worried if i walk and scratched the super high class flooring then i cham liao...hahahahaha
                            Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

The other day I saw Jackie Chan and zhou hua jian at ION. Jackie was jumping in and out of the Richard Mille shop.. zhou was with a group of ppl... no one notice that there were 2 super stars there as there were no one at that time....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X