Watches as investments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watches as investments

I just wonder why are there people out there still thinking they can use watches as investments. To me any watch made after say 1990 are so mass produced, There are so many out there and trying to earn money by keeping them just doesnt make much sense to me.

What are your views? I keep telling my friends, watches are for the joy of wearing and making money from a brand new piece is very difficult.
    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Rolex Submariner 116610
    Rolex Date 1550
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
    I just wonder why are there people out there still thinking they can use watches as investments. To me any watch made after say 1990 are so mass produced, There are so many out there and trying to earn money by keeping them just doesnt make much sense to me.

What are your views? I keep telling my friends, watches are for the joy of wearing and making money from a brand new piece is very difficult.
    Totally agree with you. Been buying and selling watch and never got richer...only poorer but still happier cos I buy to wear and sell when I want a change for other brands or style.

Only consolation is money lost is way lower than changing car.

Only way to make money from BNIB are for traders who get from their connection and network. But that's their job so makes sense. For us, buyer/collectors who buy from traders, it's just for wearing lah.
    If I wear a watch for say 1-2 years and don't lose much (less than 10%), that's super good deal already. What investment??

For investment, go for Art pieces or rare red wine....that's way better than watches. Only very few (less than 1%) of all watches actually raise in value over time...but they are mostly out of reach of most people.

Comment

I agree too, unless it's many many years later. Maybe that may provide some returns, but not alot. Not forgetting a good well maintain watch also requires lots of money in servicing too. I do treasure my watches and treat them as gifts and momentos to my future generations. Lastly I feel good luxury watches if well maintained do have a good sellable values if need of cash urgently, at least not badly depreciation as cars.

Comment

Yes, you're right...

many many years and you must buy the RIGHT watch...

The watches in my collection which have appreciated are more than 10 years old....

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
        I agree too, unless it's many many years later. Maybe that may provide some returns, but not alot. Not forgetting a good well maintain watch also requires lots of money in servicing too. I do treasure my watches and treat them as gifts and momentos to my future generations. Lastly I feel good luxury watches if well maintained do have a good sellable values if need of cash urgently, at least not badly depreciation as cars.

Comment

Investment is just an excuse given to wife/gf when we guys want to buy new watches...
          Current:
          No More Liao...

Comment

Investment = buying stocks, shares and property. Not watches. That said, I feel better knowing that my watches will at least retain a good percentage of their value even if I don't intend to sell it

Comment

Originally posted by Rolesor View Post
              Investment = buying stocks, shares and property. Not watches. That said, I feel better knowing that my watches will at least retain a good percentage of their value even if I don't intend to sell it

totally agree

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X