Reuters - Saturday, June 26

* Send
    * IM Story
    * Print

* Lee Kuan Yew says further consolidation needed among banks

* Overseas expansion requires bigger bank, more capital

* Sees real demand in Singapore's residential market

By Saeed Azhar and Kevin Lim

SINGAPORE, June 25 - Singapore could do better with two instead of three local banks so they could expand overseas in a more meaningful manner, the city-state's senior statesman Lee Kuan Yew said on Friday.

Currently Singapore has three banks -- DBS <DBSM.SI>, which is partly owned by state investor Temasek Holdings [TEM.UL], family-controlled United Oveseas Bank <UOBH.SI> and Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. <OCBC.SI>.

"I would have preferred personally that there were only two banks because I don't think Singapore was big enough for three banks," Lee said at a dinner hosted by the Association of Banks in Singapore.

Singapore saw a wave of bank mergers and acquisitions in the early 2000s, which was sparked by government's view then about the city-state having too many banks. After the consolidation it allowed foreign banks like Citigroup <C.N> and Standard Chartered <C.N> to increase their presence in Singapore.

Lee said at the dinner that Singapore banks could expand outside in a more meaningful way if they were larger and have more capital.

He also spoke about the residential property market, where analysts are warning that the market may be overheating.

"There is real underlying demand," in the residential market, said Lee, Singapore's first prime minister who now holds the title of minister mentor in the cabinet of his elder son Lee Hsien Loong. "It is not a bubble yet and we are taking steps to ensure that."

Singapore private home prices rose 5.6 percent in the first quarter from the last three months of 2009 despite government policies such as higher down payment requirements for mortgages

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/201006...y-c3bb44c.html

cut the competition, monopolise the trade
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

How about only 1 DBS bank since

T
      E
      M
      A
      S
      E
      K

has stakes in them ? Nowadays * old * people like to do talk more straight to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by honestdeal View Post

T
        E
        M
        A
        S
        E
        K

has stakes in them ? Nowadays * old * people like to do talk more straight to the point.

Well, the group has to show a profit some how. How much did Temasek lose last year?

Comment

Well said Bros. Good response from what u all say.
          Many will feel the same as us.

Comment

Heard Monday there was an island wide ATM down from DBS / POSB which lasted for 7 hours ?

In this case, I feel the other 2 banks is doing a better job. Luckily I don't need money that day, and even if I need, such a thing happening might just be a great turn off. Luckily my eggs are shared equally amg the other 2.

After this incident, I have a clearer mind who to vote for if need too have just 2 banks in Singapore.

1 should learn to be humble when talking in such a manner.

Comment

May be 2 bank is too much..... they should reconsider only 1 bank, 1 government, 1 company and stop beating around the bush.

Comment

Temasek got stakes in all these banks so its protected.
                "夫君子之行:静以修身,俭以养德;非淡泊无以明志,非宁静无以致远。" - 诸葛亮

One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. Seeking fame and wealth will not lead to noble ideal. Only by seeking serenity will one reach far. - Zhugeliang

Comment

Originally posted by Frogmen View Post
                  May be 2 bank is too much..... they should reconsider only 1 bank, 1 government, 1 company and stop beating around the bush.
                  Thats as good as " One people, One nation, One Singapore?? ".....Monopoly

Comment

Originally posted by honestdeal View Post

T
                    E
                    M
                    A
                    S
                    E
                    K

Old ppl got no time to waste.
                    A ROLEX WILL NEVER CHANGE THE WORLD. WE LEAVE THAT TO THE PEOPLE WHO WEAR THEM..

Comment

Originally posted by 5218-201/A View Post
                      Well, the group has to show a profit some how. How much did Temasek lose last year?
                      They put up a BIG ad showing off profit. Funny thing they were so silent last year after losing hugh amount $$$ Last time they blamed the economy/etc for loses but this year they take credit themselves for profit

Comment

I really cannot fathom why he says that (only 2 banks). Up to some extent, I can understand where he is coming from. But from a consumer perspective, it's just bad.

Obviously, he doesn't need to need to perform banking services himself. Nor does he need to take bus... etc.
                        The ArmchairEconomist

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X