Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex Newbie need help here

Hi all,

i am new to Rolex...planning to buy a preown rolex i prefer those more than 300m water resistant type...can any one advise me what the different between :
    1) sea-dweller and submariner
    2) D series, M series and other series
    3) selling price??

please enlighten me as i am really a layman to Rolex...thanks alot
    Current - Seiko,Rolex,Sinn,AP & RM
    Future - Geneva hallmark
    Past - TH Carrera CV2010, Pam 111, 16610, Pam 233, 116610LV

Originally posted by dennistwc View Post
    Hi all,

i am new to Rolex...planning to buy a preown rolex i prefer those more than 300m water resistant type...can any one advise me what the different between :
    1) sea-dweller and submariner
    - difference is the depth of diving, dweller goes deeper.....
    - casing is thicker than submariner.....
    - dweller has a 'cleaner' look, without cyclops, whereas sub has.....

2) D series, M series and other series
    - the series means which batch of production they're made
    - d series started sometime in apr 2005, then z, and m series is the
    latest starting 2007 may......

3) selling price??
    - preowned prices for dweller ranges from 7.2k to as high as 8k or more... whereas preowned sub ranges from 5.9k to 7k... well depending on condition, etc....

please enlighten me as i am really a layman to Rolex...thanks alot
    Please see above....
    Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
    Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
    Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
    Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)

Comment

hi bro,
      nottinghill..thks for u advise btw i jst read thru the thread in general talks they say if u buy a rolex without the cyclops then better buy other watches, is it cyclops is a trade mark to Rolex?what is cyclops?

what u means - dweller has a 'cleaner' look ??

any idea how much is the selling price for brand new dweller and mariner? if just 1-1.5k different then i might go for new 1

sorry for all the stupid Q
      Future - Geneva hallmark

Comment

hi bro,
        nottinghill..thks for u advise btw i jst read thru the thread in general talks they say if u buy a rolex without the cyclops then better buy other watches, is it cyclops is a trade mark to Rolex?what is cyclops?

what u means - dweller has a 'cleaner' look ??

any idea how much is the selling price for brand new dweller and mariner? if just 1-1.5k different then i might go for new 1

sorry for all the stupid Q
        hi dennis,

no question is stupid lar...we're all learning lar.... and sharing information...

cyclops are the the bump on the sapphire crystal to magnify the date of rolex watches..it's a trademark lar...most rolexes with date has cyclops...except for dweller...that's why it makes the dweller a more balanced/cleaner look without cyclops...anyway it's really a personal preference.....

the RRP of both dweller and sub, i'm not very sure as discount varies from AD to AD.... and if you can get an oversea set...the price may be lower.... anyway, it's also a personal preference... if you can afford it..then go for a brand new set... but if you wanna re-sell it later... maybe it's better to get a preowned set ....so that you won't lose that much...sometimes the prices of preowned set is so much high that i would rather get a new set......IMHO....hope it helps...
        Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
        Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
        Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
        Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)

Comment

hi just popping by and saw your question on the cyclops - which is a magnifying glass over the date on the Rolex watches.

whether the cyclops was invented by rolex, i am not sure, but there are many other brands watches today with the cyclops.

however the SD (and it's updated model - Deep Sea SD) are the only models in the rolex series that does not have the cyclops, thereby making it unique. why it no cyclops - coz the watch itself and sapphire glass already very thick... with a cyclops, would make the watch very prominent.

price difference depends on condition.

Comment

Not sure who actually invented the cyclop lense but it first appeared on the Rolex DJ in the mid '40s.

Comment

hi all,
              thanks for all the advise and info...btw what the water resistant depth for submariner?if i not worng SD is 1200m ??

some more Q...hope u can help me ....
              1) Type of dial: MOP,standard,goldust,meteorite,diamond?
              2) Bracelet : Oyster or Jubilee?
              3) Bezel : Fluted WG bezel? (Applicable for SS models only)
              Last edited by dennistwc; 14-09-08, 10:22 AM.
              Future - Geneva hallmark

Comment

Hi I think I can help here...

Retail price for Sea Dweller(SD) is $8751,currently with no discount and no stocks

Retail price for Submariner is $8228,currently with little or no discount,have stocks usually.

Note that the SD might be discontinued soon,so I guess we should just leave that out la. The submariner is a good choice to start your Rolex collection with.

If you want to buy preowned,take your time and search for a nice piece at a nice price. Most importantly,avoid the stores which has a few chio girls selling Rolexes.....that's VERY VERY IMPT.Hahaha

The depth resistant for the sub is 300m,and the SD is 1220m.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by ejaan View Post
                  Not sure who actually invented the cyclop lense but it first appeared on the Rolex DJ in the mid '40s.
                  If I am not wrong...cyclops with a 2.5x magnification of the date copyright of Rolex.

Comment

some more Q...hope u can help me ....
                    1) Type of dial: MOP,standard,goldust,meteorite,diamond?
                    2) Bracelet : Oyster or Jubilee?
                    3) Bezel : Fluted WG bezel? (Applicable for SS models only)
                    1) MOP = Mother of Pearl

Standard (Comes in several colours,nothing special very STANDARD ) haha

Goldust ( Not that common in the preowned market)

Metorite (Also not common in the preowned market)

Diamond (OK there are 2 meanings to this,usually it means standard dial,diamond markers like this)

Literally diamond dial means this...but usually they refer to the 1 above

Oyster bracelet is...

Jubilee bracelet is....

Fluted White gold...(Does not only apply to SS models only though)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

If you want to buy preowned,take your time and search for a nice piece at a nice price. Most importantly,avoid the stores which has a few chio girls selling Rolexes.....that's VERY VERY IMPT.Hahaha

The depth resistant for the sub is 300m,and the SD is 1220m.

i will bring along my wife like one of our rolex lover here....
                      i saw the selling price at trading forum of SD & submarine is quite close to new price...is it the re-sell value for that 2 model is so good?
                      another Q is what is chapter ring?why SD dont have chapter ring?
                      Future - Geneva hallmark

Comment

Why SD no chapter ring?

Must call ROLEX HQ and ask liao..
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i will bring along my wife like one of our rolex lover here....
                          i saw the selling price at trading forum of SD & submarine is quite close to new price...is it the re-sell value for that 2 model is so good?
                          another Q is what is chapter ring?why SD dont have chapter ring?
                          The demand for Submariner has always been there, as for the SD demand went up recently due to news of discontinuation of the SD.

Well you must note,some people sell close to new price also because their watches are close to new or brand new.

This is the chapter ring

Comment

why SD dont have chapter ring?
                            The SD is being discontinued so Rolex is not going to make new casings for them. Most probably there are still some "old" SD casings and movements lying around for them to come up with the "M" series.

Comment

hi all the master here,

mind to brief me what the different of GMT and explorer?function wise?
                              Last edited by dennistwc; 04-10-08, 10:35 PM.
                              Future - Geneva hallmark

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X