Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed from Volkswagen Owners!

Hi Bros,
    I know I should be posting this on the VWs forum but I guess I know the bros here better.
    Ok, some bros will know I'm contemplating getting a used VW Polo and have test driven a few over the past weeks.
    I've got my eye set on a particular Polo that's still under warranty and it drives really fine but am slightly perturbed that there is an occasional slight crunching/groaning sound when the brakes are applied.

My questions are:
    1. Is this crunching/groaning sound a common phenomena amongst VWs cars or Polos and...
    2. Can this 'crunching/groaning' sound be rectified?
    (The car was recently sent for major servicing by 2nd hand dealer but the sound still persists)

I ask this as the service centre is not open today so might as well get some advice from any kind bros here before I make a trip down to VSC on monday to consult a master technician.
    Thanks in advance! : )
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Not a car expert nor fanatic but very unusual sounds when u brake. Braking sounds are typically screeching sound due to wore out pads or warp disc or racing pads or bad bedding or tiny foreign objects stuck bet pads and disc. You may want to check if pads are new or worn, especially if the car mileage is ard 35k to 50k region. You will get better answers from folks in vw forum.
    Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
    Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
    GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
    GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
    DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
    DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
    , 18238 malachite
    DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
    AP 15300 Black
    Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
    GP 18k RG
    IWC Port 3714 Chrono
    Chronoswiss Skeleton
    Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

Ask at vagsg. The folks there are very friendly people. You will get a honest answer. I have driven a VW for over 4 years. It's a great car to drive but does have some usual cranking and creaking here and there.

Comment

Thanks for the response and advice bros minimerc and kuchingku, greatly appreciated!
        I don't think the safety of the car will be compromised but it does raise concerns when one hears such sounds; especially for one used to driving a japanese car.
        Sweet 16:
        PP Aquanaut
        VC Overseas
        AP ROO Black Themes
        A.Lange & Sohne 1815
        Breguet Type XXI
        Blancpain 50 Fathoms
        JLC Navy Seals
        GO Senator 60s
        GP Laureato
        Rolex DSSD
        IWC Big Pilot
        Pam 112
        Omega Ploprof
        Breitling Super Avenger
        Glycine F104

Comment

Look TS there is a couple of things you need to deteremine ...

1) braking sound is like what ? thump thump sound is usual for old or new cars especially when you start off driving ...
          if sound is hissing and pissing is due to brake pads usually type of racing pads ....
          2) if the sound is in the cabin it means you brake pedal hinge (where you step) ... a couple of spring or screw is not done up well or too tight ....
          3) important advise if you buy from dealer is u need to check when is the last servicing with VW ? because ie the last warranty servicing is 2 year ago and the last owr go outside serviing and if you bring back i doubt if got such problem they will help you cos your car service outside liao ...

I would conclude it is okie de ....

If i am you i buy new car cos the installments will not defers much ... buy second hand these day not worth it ... if COE drops your value is really drop hardest ... If money is the problem then i suggest you save more money then buy ... dun jump in not worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Supan View Post
            Look TS there is a couple of things you need to deteremine ...

1) braking sound is like what ? thump thump sound is usual for old or new cars especially when you start off driving ...
            if sound is hissing and pissing is due to brake pads usually type of racing pads ....
            2) if the sound is in the cabin it means you brake pedal hinge (where you step) ... a couple of spring or screw is not done up well or too tight ....
            3) important advise if you buy from dealer is u need to check when is the last servicing with VW ? because ie the last warranty servicing is 2 year ago and the last owr go outside serviing and if you bring back i doubt if got such problem they will help you cos your car service outside liao ...

I would conclude it is okie de ....

If i am you i buy new car cos the installments will not defers much ... buy second hand these day not worth it ... if COE drops your value is really drop hardest ... If money is the problem then i suggest you save more money then buy ... dun jump in not worth it!
            Thanks for your candid response Bro Supan,
            The car I'm looking at is an Nov 09 model, so the car is relatively new and under warranty.
            At my request, the car just underwent its 2nd major service at VSC a mere five days ago but the groaning/crunching/cranking sound when braking still persists.
            It sounds like the 2nd problem you identified; the brake pedal hinge could be too tight, making the sound.
            Anyways, this coming monday I'll go down to the service centre with the 2nd hand dealer to test drive with a master technician.
            Hopefully it can be rectified. (Fingers crossed)
            Sweet 16:
            PP Aquanaut
            VC Overseas
            AP ROO Black Themes
            A.Lange & Sohne 1815
            Breguet Type XXI
            Blancpain 50 Fathoms
            JLC Navy Seals
            GO Senator 60s
            GP Laureato
            Rolex DSSD