Sharing my experience on watch collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my experience on watch collection

I have frequent this forum since Dec 10 and notice many are buying and selling watches for various reasons. Some because of brands, some for investment, some because of fancy and some hoping their watch would worth millions in 30 years time! Perhaps sharing my experience in collecting watches may help fellow members to better appreciate the watches they have or going to buy/sell.

I started collecting watches in 1991. Back then, I did not think it was worth paying more than $200 ($400 in today’s term) for a watch. I prefered quartz for their accuracy and found automatic troublesome to maintain. To date I have collected more than 50 quartz watches. However, I have less than 20 in my procession now. What happened to them? I throw them away because they were beyond repair or corroded by the humid weather! And it was painful every time I had to throw away cos’ each has a bit of history!

Maybe due to current social trend of environmental friendliness, I need to stop such wastefulness and heart pain. So I examine the reasons for such watches being damage. Quartz has a circuit board for the battery where the joints will open up due to humidity through time. Once the board spoilt, it was near impossible to find a replacement cos’ it was out of production or the cost is higher than the watch itself .

In my ‘leftover’ collection, I notice that I have a Seiko, bought in 1991, yes my very first watch, and an 11-year old Pronto automatic using ETA 289 movement still ticking without maintenance. Why were they so? My pair of Cyma watches, also 11-year old and more expensive, gone thru’ 2 repair and finally, to my horror, the circuit boards gave up last year. They were my wedding day watches! Luckily, I was able to find replacement, but I was warned if the board gave up, good luck. This means another horror show in ten year times!

From these experiences, I think I need to get automatic and from manufacturer that has a long history of building quality lasting watch. To confirm, I read many forums, went to auction, spoke to many traders, and sought advice from servicemen. All confirm that if one wants to keep a watch for a very long time, possibly into old ages, get a quality brand automatic. Why quality brand? Because of quality of material used and workmanship. Why automatic? Because quartz has the above mentioned circuit board problem and battery leak besides short-circuiting the board, it may deface the dial; and manual winding due to broken stick/crown due to frequent winding.

So in Jan 11, my wife and I went to buy a pair of pre-owned Rolex Datejust to commensurate our 10th anniversary (and to avoid the horror show in ten year time ). Why Rolex? Don’t know any other brand that has watches lasted 30 years . Why pre-owned? Cos’ cannot afford new!

Ever since, I am on the journey to build up my watch collection again, and this time only quality brand automatic to avoid the mistake made 20 years ago . And if I want to re-sell when I become poor, watch with precious metal/stones and function(s) beside telling time – this is from auctioneers speaking from their experiences:”Most bidders (or collectors) are looking for something precious and unique, not your every day time telling stainless/plastic watch. And the brand should be around for at least 100 years.”

Hope this help and not offending anyone and if so, my apology.

Thanks for your valuable insight & writeup!

I'll be sticking to a quality, automatic & trustworthy brand watches from now on!!
    Current
    ------------
    SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
    SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
    SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

Thanks for taking time to share your experience Sir.
      I want a 116505!

Comment

A good effort of you to share such candid observations. I think with no biasness whatsoever, this can also translate to any other brands, other than ROLEX. Of course, I have to agree that ROLEX is a safe bet.

Tx
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thanks for sharing and interesting journey you had.

Just to share that mechanical are also prone to damage in our humid conditions and they may not last longer than a quartz if not taken care of properly. My trusty casio protrek is still going on strong and it does not need a battery change for the last 6 years as there a solar panel to keep it going. Touch wood....

But seriously a worthy quartz IMHO would be the omega x33. Built to last and endure extreme environment ( outer space for NASA missions).

Cheers.

Originally posted by Merc View Post
          I have frequent this forum since Dec 10 and notice many are buying and selling watches for various reasons. Some because of brands, some for investment, some because of fancy and some hoping their watch would worth millions in 30 years time! Perhaps sharing my experience in collecting watches may help fellow members to better appreciate the watches they have or going to buy/sell.

I started collecting watches in 1991. Back then, I did not think it was worth paying more than $200 ($400 in today’s term) for a watch. I prefered quartz for their accuracy and found automatic troublesome to maintain. To date I have collected more than 50 quartz watches. However, I have less than 20 in my procession now. What happened to them? I throw them away because they were beyond repair or corroded by the humid weather! And it was painful every time I had to throw away cos’ each has a bit of history!

Maybe due to current social trend of environmental friendliness, I need to stop such wastefulness and heart pain. So I examine the reasons for such watches being damage. Quartz has a circuit board for the battery where the joints will open up due to humidity through time. Once the board spoilt, it was near impossible to find a replacement cos’ it was out of production or the cost is higher than the watch itself .

In my ‘leftover’ collection, I notice that I have a Seiko, bought in 1991, yes my very first watch, and an 11-year old Pronto automatic using ETA 289 movement still ticking without maintenance. Why were they so? My pair of Cyma watches, also 11-year old and more expensive, gone thru’ 2 repair and finally, to my horror, the circuit boards gave up last year. They were my wedding day watches! Luckily, I was able to find replacement, but I was warned if the board gave up, good luck. This means another horror show in ten year times!

From these experiences, I think I need to get automatic and from manufacturer that has a long history of building quality lasting watch. To confirm, I read many forums, went to auction, spoke to many traders, and sought advice from servicemen. All confirm that if one wants to keep a watch for a very long time, possibly into old ages, get a quality brand automatic. Why quality brand? Because of quality of material used and workmanship. Why automatic? Because quartz has the above mentioned circuit board problem and battery leak besides short-circuiting the board, it may deface the dial; and manual winding due to broken stick/crown due to frequent winding.

So in Jan 11, my wife and I went to buy a pair of pre-owned Rolex Datejust to commensurate our 10th anniversary (and to avoid the horror show in ten year time ). Why Rolex? Don’t know any other brand that has watches lasted 30 years . Why pre-owned? Cos’ cannot afford new!

Ever since, I am on the journey to build up my watch collection again, and this time only quality brand automatic to avoid the mistake made 20 years ago . And if I want to re-sell when I become poor, watch with precious metal/stones and function(s) beside telling time – this is from auctioneers speaking from their experiences:”Most bidders (or collectors) are looking for something precious and unique, not your every day time telling stainless/plastic watch. And the brand should be around for at least 100 years.”

Hope this help and not offending anyone and if so, my apology.

Comment

Interesting point of view.

My one and only quartz is a Raymond Weil which was given to me in a pair, as a wedding gift about 20 years back. It has never been maintained and still ticking strong...similiar to the one that my wife still wearing now.

Though I have gone on to mechanical watches about a decade ago and stopped wearing my Raymond Weil, I make sure that the battery is changed regularly. Perhaps keeping the circuitry running all the time do maintain the life span of quartz watches ?

Comment

Thank you for all the compliment and your comments. Yes, perhaps keeping it running all the time may extend its life-span. There were 3 watches i kept them running all the time cos' these are favorites, my first watch, Seiko, keeps running since 1991, my Cyma, kaput after 10 years, both pairs :-(. My Da Vinci, 12 years and throw away cos' cannot find circuit board :-(. I deal with electronics since 2000 and from the industry, under normal condition, it should last 20 years and if one keeps it running in temp below 23 and humidity from 45 to 55%, you can keep it running up to 50 years! And rolex cellini since 70s still running now? I bet rolex, in keeping with it brand image, change the circuit board at no cost, as part of its service they charge ;-)

This remind me of a friend who work in Roll Royce. One do not see it being tow or breakdown on the road. Is it quality beats Toyota?No, roll royce comes with free maintenance! It bring the car in for service and sent back to you! Or the mechanics comes to you! That I said is top notch service, and you pay for it! and when you are that rich, image is impt!!!

So the thing to learn is - any machine need to maintain and make sure parts are available!!! this may be why collectors want brand that exist for at least a 100 years with a name for quality. And my automatic pronto (eta 289), bought in 2000, seldom wear, did not wear for 6 years, cos' do not like to set/wind it, start wearing in Dec 10 and still working. First service last month cos' it is slowing down to more than 10 secs a day, and the service may be higher if it kaput.

Comment

I own a 400 bucks Pierre Balmain dress watch say 8 years back ? Yes 1 month back it did kaput due to circuit board "so call circuit board battery died" they change it at 1/4 on the cost of the watch. It is my first watch and it accompany me for many occasions so ... many many say it is expensive to change it but i still find it worth it. Of course if it dies off me i keep it body for rememberance.

Sat i bought another F.C. Quartz watch .... though above is still running but i like more functions ... and also cannot find the sub C that i wanted. I am still loving it though hindering on a Longines Master chrono too but ... seems too complicated.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thks for sharing your collection journey. I also have a Quartz Tag from 1985. It stopped working last year and is not repairable. Holds some sentimental values for me but it is now "dead" in my drawer.
                    His: AP ROO, Hublot BB, PAM 24/29/183/372, Chopard L.U.C 2000/Mille Miglia, Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV/Sub 16610 LV/1680 "Red Sub"/GMT Master 1675/GMT Master II 16760 "FAT LADY"/Seadweller 16600/DSSD 116660, Tudor 94010 "Snowflake"/94200 "BIG Block"/Heritage Chrono/Black Bay, Omega Seamaster 2254.50/2538.20

Hers: AP ROO & AP Millenary, Cartier Santos, Chopard Happy Sports & Cannes Fest, PAM 49, Rolex Explorer1 214270

Comment

Come to think of it, my Tag Heuer Quartz boy-size SL model still ticking after 20 yrs! My 1st 'expensive' watch when I was in Poly. Worked during vacations for it!
                      Current
                      ------------
                      SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
                      SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
                      SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

Tks for sharing. Make me wonder what happen to the dozen of my "vintage" Swatch watches that have been kept in my storeroom for the past 15 years or so (with battery taken out of course).
                        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Most swatch used the same battery size. And easily remove with a 20 cts coin without opening up the back case. You may wish to get 1 to test. My sis has a collection of 100 swatch, with a custom made showcase. Some already kaput but she is just keeping them ;-) regardless working or not. She just like the swatch design !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                            Most swatch used the same battery size. And easily remove with a 20 cts coin without opening up the back case. You may wish to get 1 to test. My sis has a collection of 100 swatch, with a custom made showcase. Some already kaput but she is just keeping them ;-) regardless working or not. She just like the swatch design !!!
                            100 pieces are pretty impressive. For me it's is the same, collecting more to appreciate the arts rather than to use them. The very sought after Kamasutra, Black Sheep I have...what are the rest...can't remember liao. I think I keep the catalogues too. Must find one day go and dig them out.
                            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                              100 pieces are pretty impressive. For me it's is the same, collecting more to appreciate the arts rather than to use them. The very sought after Kamasutra, Black Sheep I have...what are the rest...can't remember liao. I think I keep the catalogues too. Must find one day go and dig them out.
                              Yes, Swatch watch is pretty impressive in its design. More like art work!. I have a pair of millenium Swatch and the commenrative YOG swatch. Swatch or for that matter swatch group itself is pretty impressive. Back in the 70s when the Jap swarm the market with cheap reliable quartz watch, the watch industry in Switzerland was near collapse and without Swatch, would had never recover - and we won't be collecting our omega, blancpain, etc. In fact, taken from the watch group websites, these are the brands under them
                              Luxury
                              Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte-Original, Léon Hatot, Jaquet-Droz, Omega and Tiffany & Co
                              High end
                              Longines, Rado and Union Glashütte
                              mid-range
                              Tissot, ck Calvin Klein, Certina, Mido, Hamilton and Balmain (yes, CK, i am surprise too! Me thou' is a American designer brand)
                              basic
                              Swatch and Flik Flak
                              and some other specialty market brands -Endura and Tourbillion

Pretty impressive
                              – Tourbillon

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X