No announcement yet.

Regret getting Starhub Fibre Optics!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the fibre installation done swee swee, thanks to advice from bro shuseido (ok i owe you one)

Am considering subscribing to Starhub fibre plan, coz I am stuck with its hub club discount (where you subscribe broadband+cable tv+mobile and get up to 15% off the monthly bill). Also extremely unhappy with the mio TV slow start-up and freezing issue so intend to throw it out as soon as the BPL is opened to Starhub from 2013-14 season.

Any more users of Starhub fibre optics who can share your experience/pros & cons?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

StarHub is slow...should get M1 fibre its great!

Comment

Originally posted by my2sons View Post
        StarHub is slow...should get M1 fibre its great!
        I wouldn't recommend M1 Fiber. I was previously on their 100Mbps fiber plan. Fast for local, slow for international traffic. They usually try to sell how they have no cap for international traffic - except you don't need caps when you have no capacity. In addition, M1 performs traffic shaping and throttles BT.

These were my M1 100Mbps fiber speeds when I was with them... (Overseas vs Local)

Other things about M1 Fiber include; after your contract, you will have to pay full price, and you CANNOT downgrade to a lower plan 'contract free'. To downgrade your plan, you *must* sign a new 2 year contract.

Also, make sure you keep all cardboard boxes and manuals that they provide. Otherwise they'll charge you $18 each.

Comment

My M1 Fibre works pretty well though. can BT up to 8mb/s and using download manager can go 10mb/s.
          $39/mth so cannot complaint much.
          So many different experiences, maybe also got to do with diff area of user like last time broadband??

Comment

Thanks for the info. Enquired about Singtel Express 100, 150 and 250 plans. Was told the following,

For 100 and 150 plan, local speed is up to 100Mbps and 150Mbps respectively whereas international is up to 15Mbps only.

For 250 plan, local speed is up to 250Mbps and up to 25Mbps respectively.

So which ISP have the fastest international traffic?

Comment

Originally posted by drean View Post
              These were my M1 100Mbps fiber speeds when I was with them... (Overseas vs Local)

Thanks! I like facts like these. Slow or fast is relative, just like when we refer to a watch as cheap or expensive.

Other things about M1 Fiber include; after your contract, you will have to pay full price, and you CANNOT downgrade to a lower plan 'contract free'. To downgrade your plan, you *must* sign a new 2 year contract.

Also, make sure you keep all cardboard boxes and manuals that they provide. Otherwise they'll charge you $18 each.
              These are ridiculous...I hope such terms are at least highlighted to the consumers before the contract is signed. Or maybe the ISP would budge and allow downgrade without contract if the consumer threaten to terminate the service after contract ends?

Comment

I wouldn't recommend M1 Fiber. I was previously on their 100Mbps fiber plan. Fast for local, slow for international traffic. They usually try to sell how they have no cap for international traffic - except you don't need caps when you have no capacity. In addition, M1 performs traffic shaping and throttles BT.

Originally posted by leeye View Post
                Thanks for the info. Enquired about Singtel Express 100, 150 and 250 plans. Was told the following,

For 100 and 150 plan, local speed is up to 100Mbps and 150Mbps respectively whereas international is up to 15Mbps only.

For 250 plan, local speed is up to 250Mbps and up to 25Mbps respectively.

So which ISP have the fastest international traffic?
                This "up to" and slower speed for international vs local are pretty "standard" regardless of mode of internet connection...

Comment

well at least the person took the effort to explain the differences to me before i sign up for it. some people would just assume international rate is just as fast which is not the case. also the higher package does offer faster access, just that you have to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by leeye View Post
                    well at least the person took the effort to explain the differences to me before i sign up for it. some people would just assume international rate is just as fast which is not the case. also the higher package does offer faster access, just that you have to pay more.
                    True...I merely wanted to point out that the said difference/constraint are not unique to fibre, for the benefit of other readers.

Comment

The "up to" term is so bull**** sometimes I want to puke..
                      1kb/s is also "up to 100mbps" ...

IMO M1 currently provide decent service for the money, worth considering.

Comment

Starhub fibre really tat bad?

I was previously on starhub cable 50mbps, now switch to fibre, its significantly faster!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X