This is really bothering me!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is really bothering me!!

i don't understand!! this point always bothers me whenever i'm looking to buy a timepiece

why is it that high end watch brands cannot make their makers or hands luminicent? the likes of some models from Hublot, FP Journe, Harry Winston and etc...

watch lovers can spend up to thousand of $$ on expensive watches and don't mind the inconvenience of not been able to tell the time at night?

Isn't it common sense to watch manufacturers that other then those fancy fushion of metals, in-house movements and the use of precious metals, it needs to tell time 24/7? to me, watch brands that don't consider this simple need are unfit to call themselves watch makers and don't give bull**** that they're listening to their customers. regardless of the brands, how innovative they are or their rich history, if they can't allow me to tell time at night...they'll never get my $$..

what's your take?

cheers
    I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
    A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
    Audemars Piguet ROO
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
    De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
    Habring2 Pilot Time Date
    Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
    Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
    IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
    Panerai 270
    Patek Philippe 5711/1a
    Rolex 116610LV
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas

As for me, it doesn't really bothers me as there is always enough light for me to tell the time at night.

Comment

wah bro, like these those vintage with tritium dial watches u cannot consider liao. yes i realised u r right. some high end watches do not have lume

Comment

me too, i will go for watches with lumi functions.
        Roger Dubuis Aquamare
        Frank Muller MasterSquare
        Pam 183
        Pam 176
        Cartier Carbon Chrono xl

Comment

is it so difficult to apply a little lume on the tip of the hands at least? i don't think this compromises the design if it's the main concern..

asking me to spend $$ on watches and have to tell time using my cellphone or other means is both irritating and ridiculous

Current collection
          Audemars Piguet ROO
          Habring2 Pilot Time Date
          Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
          Panerai 270
          Patek Philippe 5711/1a
          Rolex 116610LV

Comment

I like lume on the sport (especially dive) watches and no lume on the more formal pieces. For the latter, I think what you lose in functionality (which is probably quite small if you generally wear the dressier pieces in places with sufficient lighting (eg dinner) or where you ought not be checking the time in the darkness anyway (eg in the middle of "a cenar teco")) is more than made up by the cleaner or more formal aesthetic of the hands without lume - which is what you will live with for the great majority of the waking hours when you do have sufficient light. (That is, why undermine the aesthetic for 99% of the time for the sake of 1%?) But of course your mileage may/does vary...

Comment

maybe they figured if you can own one of their watches, you would also have some form of self-luminance, like a handphone. you can use the handphone to light up the watch to tell the time ... And i agree with Wees, aesthetically, watches are meant to be looked at, especially during the waking hours.

Comment

When I need to tell time in darkness I use Ball.

All luminova type don't really work well too.

Not bothered by no lume. Many watches are not logical at all.
                Just "art" n "beauty"
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I can't imagine a calatrava with lume hands too.... Definitely looks fake haha
                  But some watches only look good with lume hands.

So contradicting.

Comment

Those with no lume, maybe can add a tiny lightbulb in it? Or carry a portable torch.

Comment

Most of the top brand CEO will said:the least
                      Important of a watch is to tell the time.

Foe me if I off the light mean:time to sleep.

If the watch gone bright in the night,than it will really bother me.

Comment

For tactical reason- the watch cannot glow in the night. For this reason, SAF give away Hamilton watch

I own a Rolex !

Comment

How coincidental, James ! I was just recently looking around for a dress watch and after some 'snooping' around, came to realize the same, ie why no lume on dress watches? I think this is a common feature (or "non-feature" ) for dress watches and not just how branded they are. Even the less expensive ones are like that. Like you, I feel that a little lume on it may look nice but like what many have shared, it may just spoil the "theme" (of a dress watch).

This is not too far from the way we feel about watches individually. Some like it big, others, small. Some like it bright and colourful, others, dull and stealth, etc. I have quite a problem to find a dress watch I really wanted partly also because my funds are VERY limited. I did make a choice eventually and this watch gives me almost 95% of what I want in a dress watch:

- plain but not too plain (date/day-date with few words on the dial);
                          - dressy/klassik-look (white/silverish dial, I like);
                          - can be a little bling like a polished case but less colourful;
                          - small & thin like how a dress watch should measure but not too small (35-40mm);
                          - tasteful brightness (little lume; not too loud);
                          - versatility to change strap/bracelet (even no. lug size);
                          - not too heavy; not too light; and MOST importantly
                          - I must be able to afford it.

If you have been around frequent enough, you should have roughly guessed it
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

just me and my ranting..

no lume and date function...NO BUY..

Current collection
                            Audemars Piguet ROO
                            Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                            Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                            Panerai 270
                            Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                            Rolex 116610LV

Comment

Personally, I just prefer my dressy timepieces to come without lume ...
                              运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X