Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think again the next time you buy a(nother) fake watch

Hi,

As much discussed here as anywhere else, I lifted this article for all to read. Enjoy

The truth behind fake watches

The Swiss watch industry is stepping up its fight against counterfeits. By DYLAN TAN

SOME might say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but don't tell that to the Foundation de la Haute Horlogerie (FHH) and Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry. Both are taking a tough stance against counterfeit Swiss watches and the numbers tell the whole story.

According to FHH, the Swiss churned out about 26 million watches last year; the pirates on the other hand almost doubled the latter's production with 40 million fakes that netted a profit of US$1 billion for the copycats.

Pascal O Ravessoud, development director of FHH, says that the business of copying is not one to be taken lightly with counterfeiting of all sorts of products, not just luxury goods, making up 7 per cent of world trade and generating about US$400 billion in revenue. And because infringing copyright incurs fewer sanctions than drug trafficking, it remains a highly lucrative activity for criminal organisations.

'Counterfeiting is developing quite fast because of the Internet and the quality of the fakes is getting better,' says Mr Ravessoud. 'In the past you can buy a fake for $50 on the beach while on holiday, but you can tell those are not real.'

'These days you can't unless you have the real thing side by side,' he adds. 'The difference is in just the smallest details so it's turning people away from buying the genuine article.'

Mr Ravessoud says that one reason the quality of fake watches are getting better is because some of the Swiss watchmakers have delocalised their production and outsourced it to China, where he estimates up to 95 per cent of the copy watches come from.

'There is a knowledge transfer and these people are clever; if they have the machine and the know-how then the quality of their fakes also get better,' he notes.

Clamping down on the counterfeiters is also time consuming because of various local jurisdictions and red tape that make the prosecuting process a difficult one. So the FHH is targeting buyers instead and educating them about the truth behind buying fake watches. It is also stepping up its fight against watch counterfeiting and making it a priority objective by launching its second awareness campaign, 'You Have The Choice', through a short film competition called 'Take A True Look at Fakes'. Selected works can be viewed on its website www.hautehorlogerie.org now.

It comes hot on the heels of 'Fake Watches are for Fake People', FHH's first major public information campaign that appeared in 120 media in 24 countries two years ago.

'It's really first steps still for us,' says Mr Ravessoud. 'But we want people to know it is an illegal activity to buy fake watches knowingly because they are financing criminal and other illegal activities. Not only is it wrong and not good, but at the end of the day you can also be punished.'

The Business of Time
    Published August 26, 2011
    The Crown Of Achievement

FHH seems to be quite active on the Internet, scouting for sales of replicas. This is serious business man.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

To be honest I don't see how the fake's industry will affect that of the swiss. Majority (and that is an understatement) of those who buy fakes can't afford the real thing. Isn't that the main reason why they buy a fake in the first place? Moreover the figures they gave are quite questionable. How did they derive the figure US$1 bil? Do they have insider information to how much the chinese are making? Or do they benchmark a $50 fake sub to its rightful value as genuine? People who have money will buy real watches. People who don't can't even if they want to. Perhaps I'm being too simplistic in my analysis of this

Comment

The problem comes when the counterfeits, which are very very good now and can be passed off as real.Its worse in other industries, fake batteries, fake phones, fake medicine, fake spark plugs... all look like the real deal and are being passed off as the original.

Anyway counterfeits will diminish the value of the brand, including its rarity. Imagine if everyone owned a perfect counterfeit sub.

but i agree the $1B figure is definitely an inflated value.

my $0.02

Comment

Actually, I think it's the people that could afford that could be buying fakes. Really!! I have seen some really rich friends wearing fakes cos they know nobody will ever question them. And why would anyone? These people are rich & could afford a JLC or IW anytime. And to the Average Joes, they wont be able to know if there's really an JLC Big Pilot or IWC Master Control!!
          I rather push my Alfa Romeo than drive a BMW

Alfa 1.5 Sprint
          Alfa 33
          Alfa 147
          Alfa GT
          Alfa Spider 3.2 V6- now
          Alfa 4C- maybe next time

Comment

Originally posted by turboducky View Post
            Actually, I think it's the people that could afford that could be buying fakes. Really!! I have seen some really rich friends wearing fakes cos they know nobody will ever question them. And why would anyone? These people are rich & could afford a JLC or IW anytime. And to the Average Joes, they wont be able to know if there's really an JLC Big Pilot or IWC Master Control!!
            this can be true. i think a couple of years a ago, they smash a fake luxurious leather products syndicate in china. among the clients are hollywood and international movie stars. i think they mention julia roberts, cant really remember.

Comment

There is another problem. Manufacturers of these fake watches/goods use child labour or provide bad working conditions as there are no control....
              My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
              Rolex Submariner 16610
              Rolex Submariner 116610
              Rolex Date 1550
              IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
              IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
              Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
              Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
              Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
              Seiko Sumo SBDC001
              Seiko Sumo SBDC003
              Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
              Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

child labour/bad conditions are just as likely in factories of legitimate products. according to australian media, apple contracted workers are subjected to poor conditions. how true? i have no idea.
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                  child labour/bad conditions are just as likely in factories of legitimate products. according to australian media, apple contracted workers are subjected to poor conditions. how true? i have no idea.
                  Another legitimate industry would be that of the cocoa industry. Despite the major chocolate companies signing an agreement in 2001 to remove child labour, ten years on, BBC panorama and CNN news are running exposes on them not meeting the expectations.

Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie has produced a few animations about fake watches. If I remember correctly, one of them shows a guy buying a fake watch, then while sitting in the bar he starts crying when he realises child labour is involved and he dumps the fake.

Trivia- June 8th is World Anti-Counterfeiting day.

@turboducky/oxen - yup,there are those people who can afford watches but buy fakes. These ppl buy the watches for the benefit of other people rather then buying the watch for themselves.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X