No announcement yet.

Nice Car or watches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my opinion, a guy needs to have some form of self indulgence like a nice car and watch. Not for showing off but I emphasize again, self indulgence.[/QUOTE]

Yes agreed totally !

Comment

• For guys both are equally poisonous, I believe striking a good balance between the two is the way to go.

Comment

• Talking about that, just sent my car for servicing, replaced rotors, pads, add steel braids, replace autotranny fluid, engine oil, oil filter iridium sparks, lost a preowned Datejust already.....

Cars is an expense.
        Watches are not.

I have friends wearing $80k watches but they only drive standard BMW or Mercy.
        If they buy a high end premium conti, two years depre and maintenance can buy a brandnew full gold patek....
        Sometimes its interesting thought, the price of their watch is as much as theie car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
          Talking about that, just sent my car for servicing, replaced rotors, pads, add steel braids, replace autotranny fluid, engine oil, oil filter iridium sparks, lost a preowned Datejust already.....

Cars is an expense.
          Watches are not.

I have friends wearing $80k watches but they only drive standard BMW or Mercy.
          If they buy a high end premium conti, two years depre and maintenance can buy a brandnew full gold patek....
          Sometimes its interesting thought, the price of their watch is as much as theie car.
          Wah Lou " BMW " or " Mercy " is just an ONLY !!!

Cars : 10 yrs COE down the road only .

Watches : Freehold property .

>>>>>>> + <<<<<<<<

Comment

• Originally posted by Derick View Post
            Wah Lou " BMW " or " Mercy " is just an ONLY !!!

Cars : 10 yrs COE down the road only .

Watches : Freehold property .

>>>>>>> + <<<<<<<<
            Yes watches are freehold and for Rolex, easily converted to cash.

Normal BMWs and Mercys are really not as expensive as we think.
            No need to buy brand new unless you intend to drive at least five years.
            Maintenance also not as expensive. At most double that of Jap.
            So instead of $250 for standard service, you pay $400-$500, that can last you easily 6 mths.

For me i buy only secondhand cars, change every 18 - 24 mths.
            But watches, i tend to buy new unless model discontinued.

But no matter what, I still cant come to terms buying a $50k watch

Comment

• For me owning a reliably nice car is more important. Having owned a car that got me a lot of free coffee , I realized the importance of reliability. A nice car might be great to handle and good looking but a nightmare to own. The same can be said about watches. I guess.
              I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
              http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

• Originally posted by roguehog View Post
                For me owning a reliably nice car is more important. Having owned a car that got me a lot of free coffee , I realized the importance of reliability. A nice car might be great to handle and good looking but a nightmare to own. The same can be said about watches. I guess.
                I think its really a myth that nice cars are unreliable.
                Of course bread and butter cars should not have problems, they are meant to be thrashed daily like daily beaters. And they dont have sophisticated or hi tech options nor electronics so have no reason to break down anyway.

Just like a honda Cub, so basic can even run on vegetable oil , hahah.
                Compare that to say a Kawasaki Z1000 or a Ducati Streetfighter, hahah.

nyway for the record, my cars have never broken down by the side of the road.
                Just standard wear and tear parts. In terms of reliability, i give max marks.
                No nightmare.

So if you are talking about daily car, definitely reliability is of utmost importance.
                But for collectors car or play car (sports car), it could be about acheiving the feel or the sentimental reasons, where reliability isnt e most important.

Cheers

Comment

• haha! well said. no. I am not talking about high end marques. I'm actually referring to my previous ride, which essentially is the toyota equivalent in europe, particularly germany. it's notoriety is pretty much on a global scale now, with more than 380,000 recalled in China alone and an on-going recall locally.

It was a great car to drive but not a great ownership experience.

To be honest, I never had my car towed back due to roadside breakdowns, until I owned the golf sport.

Comment

haha! well said. no. I am not talking about high end marques. I'm actually referring to my previous ride, which essentially is the toyota equivalent in europe, particularly germany. it's notoriety is pretty much on a global scale now, with more than 380,000 recalled in China alone and an on-going recall locally.

It was a great car to drive but not a great ownership experience.

To be honest, I never had my car towed back due to roadside breakdowns, until I owned the golf sport.
                    Golf suppose to be very hardy leh......but all that rumor about VW tranny, not sure true all not.

Mercedes7 G-tronic , also rumored to be not,so good, but i have no problems with my previous CLS350...... Drove 1yr 6mths swee swee changing simple wear and tear parts.

Comment

Golf suppose to be very hardy leh......but all that rumor about VW tranny, not sure true all not.

Mercedes7 G-tronic , also rumored to be not,so good, but i have no problems with my previous CLS350...... Drove 1yr 6mths swee swee changing simple wear and tear parts.
                      haha! I can tell you, all you've read and heard are truer than true. There are 6 of us in my group - 1 golf sport, 2 jetta sport, 2 siroccos and 1 touran. All had problems with the tranny. 3 of us have ditched our rides. one is contemplating. Mine was 3 1/2 years old. the infamous flash of death hit my MU two weeks prior to new car collection. I've had so many parts replaced on my ride they shoulda given me a new one haha! more than 20 visits to the service centre in that period excluding servicing.

But the golf is still one of the best handling car i had owned to date. If not for the reliability issues and the excruciatingly long wait for a service booking (2 months average), I wouldn't have ditched it.

Comment

haha! I can tell you, all you've read and heard are truer than true. There are 6 of us in my group - 1 golf sport, 2 jetta sport, 2 siroccos and 1 touran. All had problems with the tranny. 3 of us have ditched our rides. one is contemplating. Mine was 3 1/2 years old. the infamous flash of death hit my MU two weeks prior to new car collection. I've had so many parts replaced on my ride they shoulda given me a new one haha! more than 20 visits to the service centre in that period excluding servicing.

But the golf is still one of the best handling car i had owned to date. If not for the reliability issues and the excruciatingly long wait for a service booking (2 months average), I wouldn't have ditched it.

Wahhhhhhhh. Never owned a VW before.
                        Dont think i ever will after this. Haha

Comment

• A few of my friends also have MU issues with VW..That's a sad truth.

Comment

Wahhhhhhhh. Never owned a VW before.
                            Dont think i ever will after this. Haha
                            You should buy a vw , especially with a 7-speed dry clutch if:
                            1) you like free coffee.
                            2) you like to have your patience tested.
                            3) like yelling at people.
                            4) like making enemies with service staff.
                            5) enjoy using up the perks associated with your car's warranty.
                            6) miss taking public transport.
                            7) enjoy being duped by unscrupulous car salesmen.
                            8) do not believe in previous owners' experiences.
                            9) like driving a time bomb.

Comment

• Thank you bro rougehog for your feedback on VW. I was seriously considering the scirocco
                              because of the coming Coe changes but now steering far far away from this brand!!

Comment

• At one point i also considered to buy the scirocco for my wife.
                                But decided against wasting money.
                                Bot her a Jap to ferry the kids daily.
                                Easy to maintain and easy to drive

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X