X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jtsk
    replied
    Guess best to have it authenticated.
    Anyway how much does not having box, papers, etc... affect the value?

Leave a comment:

• pegasi
    replied
    Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    maybe I just want piece of mind. For higher end watches, is there a registry when they're purchased?. I don't want to purchase a watch and years down, I go to get it serviced and find out that it was a stolen watch listed on an official registry.
    It does not matter if the first owner was registered during the purchase of the watch. All the service centres (for watches) that I have been to, recognize only the watch not the person/name on the warranty card.

A stolen watch might be discovered when it is sent to the service centre, provided the owner whom watch was stolen makes a police report and informs the service centre (even then the service centre might not do anything unless upon the request of police). I haven't heard about such a case where someone discovers he bought a stolen watch when he send it for service, so you have to be damn heng to kena this.

Leave a comment:

• Oceanklassik
    replied
    That actually depends who/where you are buying the pre-owned watch from. If it's from a second-hand watch shop/dealer, a short grace period of a few days may be granted. This, you'll have to communicate properly with the seller. If the purchase is with a watch owner, more commonly it'll be a "face-to-face-authentication-cum-transaction".

Leave a comment:

• pegasi
    replied
    One of the reasons I prefer box/papers is because many other buyers prefer to have box/papers - something I have to take into consideration since I flip watches very often.

That is not to say that I don't appreciate the completeness of a nice watch with nice box and papers that tell you the exact date the watch left the shop (ya I know this isn't always accurate).

Leave a comment:

• SpeedFreak
    replied
    thank you all for informative answers.

Watch authenticity can always be verified at the official dealer.

I guess for me the nagging factor was the stolen aspect. I'm not taking about a low end watch, but more so mid to higher end watches which I've been thinking of purchasing. For example the AP 15300/ PPNautilus are not cheap, and some samples with no box/ no paper can reduce the price of up to $2k..so it is a big difference.

maybe I just want piece of mind. For higher end watches, is there a registry when they're purchased?. I don't want to purchase a watch and years down, I go to get it serviced and find out that it was a stolen watch listed on an official registry.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• pegasi
    replied
    Originally posted by myownlittleshop View Post
    another quick question. for verification, best is do on the spot right? bring back and then go verify another day very dangerous yah?
    Common practice is to do authentication on the spot (i.e. before watch/money change hand), unless the seller agrees to give grace period for authentication later (very rarely the case).

Leave a comment:

• MsLucifer
    replied
    paper just "id" for the watch, dont need paper to service at service center

Originally posted by myownlittleshop View Post
    why is the papers so impt? w/o papers can still service at service center?

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• myownlittleshop
    replied
    another quick question. for verification, best is do on the spot right? bring back and then go verify another day very dangerous yah?

Leave a comment:

• newbie09
    replied
    No box or paper doesn't matter to me as long as it's real. But i prefer to buy from shop as receipt will be issue to me as a proof of purchase from where i got the watch from... So when selling, at least i can proof that i got it from legal source.

Leave a comment:

• breitling77
    replied
    Agreed! But seriously, nowadays the fake ones are getting more "real", even cards, boxes can be "replicated". IMO, after getting a pre-owned or 2nd hand from anyone even shops, it's best to carry out a verification immediately. Better pay a small sum of verification fees to have a huge relief or piece of mind. Otherwise, it will be a big waste.

With the complete set, in particular with the paper or certificate, the value will be much higher in future, be it as a form of investment or passing it down to someone in future.

Originally posted by satch View Post
    there's always the risk of buying pre-owned pieces, just that complete sets with box and papers give you more assurance... if you're going to lose sleep over the authenticity etc., then better buy brand new, it's going to cost you more, but at least you wear it without worries.

Leave a comment:

• myownlittleshop
    replied
    hmm.. if buy 1 w/o papers can still get it verified at RSC rights? $100 for verification?

Leave a comment:

• satch
    replied
    there's always the risk of buying pre-owned pieces, just that complete sets with box and papers give you more assurance... if you're going to lose sleep over the authenticity etc., then better buy brand new, it's going to cost you more, but at least you wear it without worries.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyz
    replied
    Firstly, no box and paper doesn't meant that the watch is fake or stolen. As what other members mentioned, anything is possible.

But if you are buying to wear and not thinking of reselling, is ok to buy without box and paper. If you are worried that the watch is fake, get it verify by a reputable watch shop:-) If you are going to resell, then better to get with box and paper to command a higher price..

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• myownlittleshop
    replied
    why is the papers so impt? w/o papers can still service at service center?

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• striker968
    replied
    Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    Hello all.

There have been several great watches that I've come very close to purchasing in the past because of No Box - No Papers. But at the end, the nagging feeling stopped me.

- Is the watch stolen?.
    - Is the watch a counterfeit?.
    - Is the watch being sold without the real owners consent? (wife selling husband's watch?)
    - Is there less re-sale value, when I want to sell in future?.

The common remark that i hear from 'owners' is that they lost the box during moving. But how can you lose a Rolex box?. Is it not important enough to keep safe?.

I just wanted so other points-of-view.. Maybe I should take the plunge and buy NO-box/No-paper???? any feedback would be great.

thanks
    My dad throw the box away while shifting house...... Tell me box is not important cert than important hahaha

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
Working...
X