Read this before you transact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this before you transact

Greetings folks! I have troubled about a recent deal that didn’t quite turn out right and like to hear what you folks have to say from your past similar experience and what are the options open to me in such a situation. This is what actually happened:

I was attracted to an Omega Speedmaster Mark 2 put up by someone on this forum for sale. I responded to his sales and directed him to look at my own collection which he picked a few options with the intention to trade which I was opened to.
    We met at Jurong Point on the 18 Oct evening and we close the deal. I gave him my one year old Longine Legend Diver complete with box/paper and an unworn original strap that came with the watch because I have removed it. He gave me a top-up and I took his Omega.
    During the transaction it was agreed verbally that I told him he must give me a month’s guarantee for the watch.
    We both parted happy with the transaction. I wore it the next day to work.
    I had a lunch appointment that day and when I glance at the watch it shown about 11.35am but to my surprise it was already about 11.50 when I look at my phone watch.
    I immediately sms this seller and inform him about it and hope that its not a problem. He replied and said it shouldn’t be a problem and that I should just do a full wind. I did it and it took only about 4 turns to max it and I inform him about it and that I will monitor it and hope that it is not a existing problem that he is aware of and I am not. He replied and said no such thing and that the watch is working fine.
    On the 21 Oct Sunday - I wind the watch up and left it at home and went out until mid afternoon and I check on the watch again. This time it was running 10mins ahead. I immediately sms the seller again and inform him about it and told him that if this problem persisted I will have to return it to him or alternatively he can take the watch and fixed the problem and return it back to it. From thereon between exchanges of sms he kept denying there was any problem with the watch and at one point he even said that I must have magnetize it and rejected me flatly in all my proposal to him to resolved this matter.
    Here was a young 27 years old man in the teaching profession disowning all liability and responsibility. I even offered him to take back the watch and try it out for a week or two never mind that I take the risk of him running away with my watch as I don’t intend to hold back my Longine watch during this period but again he refuse the offer. All I asked of him is to fix the watch problem at his own cost and return it back to me and he refuses and insisted that the transaction is close.
    I flew off to KL on Sunday night and tried not to think about it but on my return on Tuesday night I wind it up and went to bed.
    The next morning it was running 30mins ahead. The more I look at the watch the more I get frustrated and was thinking how could a young man in a teaching profession who was supposed to impart right value to his young students behave in such a irresponsible manner.
    For me it was not about the money – but it was the feeling of being cheated that really get to me.
    I would like to hear from you folks your past similar experience and what are the options available to you and I.
    I still have all sms detailing the events and I am thinking of taking legal options to stop such irresponsible behavour from this young man and at the same time would like a cautious genuine buyers against this particular person. Whether he intended to cheat I cannot conclude but his persistent in denying such problem with the watch and refusing to take responsibility for it really get me piss off.

Generally what kind of “guarantee period” do we get or give during such a informal transaction unlike a retails transaction where some would generally give a few months to a year.

For the interest of buyers or even sellers – I think we should draw up a formal transaction document to safe guard the interest whther as a buyer or a seller.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and better still if you are in the legal profession able to give me some sound legal options available to me. Thank you all for reading my long winded story but I hope my sharing will be beneficial to those of you intended to buy and sell.
    Seriously I have bought a lot from Ebay and never once have such a problem of such magnitude and to think that it actually happened here at home just get me thinking that it is far more dangerous in our home soil than we think.

Have a great coming long weekend! Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jamy
    facebook.com/watches.jamy

Mine:
    1) Rolex Seadweller T-Series
    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
    3) Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono
    4) Polaris Homage
    5) Heuer Carrera
    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
    7) Baume n Mercier
    8) Helson Skindiver
    9) Hamilton Air Race & X-Copter
    10) Longines Chrono
    11) Meistersinger
    12) Omega Triple Date
    13) Tudor Big Block Full set
    14) Revue Theomann Alarm
    15) BALL EM2 World Time
    16) Zenith Triple D

Closed - OT

Greetings folks! I have troubled about a recent deal that didn’t quite turn out right and like to hear what you folks have to say from your past similar experience and what are the options open to me in such a situation. This is what actually happened:

I was attracted to an Omega Speedmaster Mark 2 put up by someone on this forum for sale. I responded to his sales and directed him to look at my own collection which he picked a few options with the intention to trade which I was opened to.
    We met at Jurong Point on the 18 Oct evening and we close the deal. I gave him my one year old Longine Legend Diver complete with box/paper and an unworn original strap that came with the watch because I have removed it. He gave me a top-up and I took his Omega.
    During the transaction it was agreed verbally that I told him he must give me a month’s guarantee for the watch.
    We both parted happy with the transaction. I wore it the next day to work.
    I had a lunch appointment that day and when I glance at the watch it shown about 11.35am but to my surprise it was already about 11.50 when I look at my phone watch.
    I immediately sms this seller and inform him about it and hope that its not a problem. He replied and said it shouldn’t be a problem and that I should just do a full wind. I did it and it took only about 4 turns to max it and I inform him about it and that I will monitor it and hope that it is not a existing problem that he is aware of and I am not. He replied and said no such thing and that the watch is working fine.
    On the 21 Oct Sunday - I wind the watch up and left it at home and went out until mid afternoon and I check on the watch again. This time it was running 10mins ahead. I immediately sms the seller again and inform him about it and told him that if this problem persisted I will have to return it to him or alternatively he can take the watch and fixed the problem and return it back to it. From thereon between exchanges of sms he kept denying there was any problem with the watch and at one point he even said that I must have magnetize it and rejected me flatly in all my proposal to him to resolved this matter.
    Here was a young 27 years old man in the teaching profession disowning all liability and responsibility. I even offered him to take back the watch and try it out for a week or two never mind that I take the risk of him running away with my watch as I don’t intend to hold back my Longine watch during this period but again he refuse the offer. All I asked of him is to fix the watch problem at his own cost and return it back to me and he refuses and insisted that the transaction is close.
    I flew off to KL on Sunday night and tried not to think about it but on my return on Tuesday night I wind it up and went to bed.
    The next morning it was running 30mins ahead. The more I look at the watch the more I get frustrated and was thinking how could a young man in a teaching profession who was supposed to impart right value to his young students behave in such a irresponsible manner.
    For me it was not about the money – but it was the feeling of being cheated that really get to me.
    I would like to hear from you folks your past similar experience and what are the options available to you and I.
    I still have all sms detailing the events and I am thinking of taking legal options to stop such irresponsible behavour from this young man and at the same time would like a cautious genuine buyers against this particular person. Whether he intended to cheat I cannot conclude but his persistent in denying such problem with the watch and refusing to take responsibility for it really get me piss off.

Generally what kind of “guarantee period” do we get or give during such a informal transaction unlike a retails transaction where some would generally give a few months to a year.

For the interest of buyers or even sellers – I think we should draw up a formal transaction document to safe guard the interest whther as a buyer or a seller.

Your advice is greatly appreciated and better still if you are in the legal profession able to give me some sound legal options available to me. Thank you all for reading my long winded story but I hope my sharing will be beneficial to those of you intended to buy and sell.
    Seriously I have bought a lot from Ebay and never once have such a problem of such magnitude and to think that it actually happened here at home just get me thinking that it is far more dangerous in our home soil than we think.

Have a great coming long weekend! Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jamy
    facebook.com/watches.jamy

Mine:
    1) Rolex Seadweller T-Series
    2) Seiko Sports Vintage
    3) Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono
    4) Polaris Homage
    5) Heuer Carrera
    6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
    7) Baume n Mercier
    8) Helson Skindiver