Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is confucious teaching still relevant in todays world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is confucious teaching still relevant in todays world?

confucious says one must cultivate oneself before you can lead others then rule the world. Human itself is a model, you want others respect, first of all you have to lead by example before you gain others trust. He spend most of his life cultivating his moral and gives teaching to others. However in this commercial world, do you still agree with him?

I would agree that you would need a certain amount of self discipline to develop yourself to lead without contradiction.

However, from the lack of responses on this thread I would say Confucius teachings are irrelevant! No offense intended!

Comment

It is still relevant.

Comment

it is still relevant in China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam and even Singapore in spite of the modern trappings of these societies. It in the mind of the political leaders, and the the citizenry. Just for example, most of us use our Family name followed by our given name - now that's a sign of Confucian thinking.

Comment

Yes of course, at times when you can't convince them, you confuse them ... LOL .. No offense

Comment

A bit heavy subject to discuss that's why...

I would say while some of the confucious teaching are out of date, majority of them are still relevant and have infact become the basis/pilars of Chinese (and some Asian) traditions and moral belief.

What TS quoted are just two of the many preaches under the confucious teaching, but I will use the first one as an example: 修身 齐家 治国 平天下 - the last one - "rule the world" is no longer relevant, but the others, very much are.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

still relevant but not in SG!

Comment

孔子的经典道德礼仪,是每一个现代商业社会不能缺少的基本判据。
                1. 子日∶“日往则月来,月往则日来,日月相推而明生焉;寒往则暑来,暑往则寒来,寒暑相推而岁成焉”。孔子的 这一翻话意即人暂时休养自己,目的则是为了下一步的前进和发展。哪怕一时不得志,也不要放弃自 己。
                2. 子日∶“知其不可而为之” 意思是明知道自己做不到的事仍然要去勇敢尝试。孔子这种自强备发精神也是在商业社会里不可切少 的。
                孔子一生推扩的儒家思想不仅在古代农业社会的治国理论取得地位,也在现代商业社会里被采纳。不管在将来的社 会有多大的幅度,我相信儒家思想必定万古长青,在每个人的生活延续下去。

Apologies to non chinese readers. In summary, confucious teaching is still relevant in today's commercial world.
                1) One must cultivate oneself in order to prepare himself for the next step. Only with preparation can one handle whatever situation may come. Even if one's failed also musn't give up.
                2) Even if one's know that he can't do it but he must still try. It is this spirit that is important in the commercial world.
                Confucious teaching's have gone thru several era and in each era, his teaching's play a different role to suit its situation. I believe in the years to come, his teaching will still be relevant and play an important role in each of our life.

Comment

So you answer your own question.

When you said confucious teaching, are you referring to 孔家思想 or 儒家思想? The westerners generally mixed them together but they are not the exact same thing. 孔家 is a big part of 儒家, but not everything of 儒家思想 came from 孔子.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                    So you answer your own question.

When you said confucious teaching, are you referring to 孔家思想 or 儒家思想? The westerners generally mixed them together but they are not the exact same thing. 孔家 is a big part of 儒家, but not everything of 儒家思想 came from 孔子.
                    Wai, never heard of 孔家 thingy...... Difference?

Comment

孔家思想 refers to specifically what 孔子 said or taught.

孔子 is considered the founder of 儒学, also know as 儒教.

儒家思想 include the thinking and teaching of 孟子、荀子 etc, after 孔子.

In Chinese we usually refer to 儒家思想, but not everything in 儒家 is taught by 孔子. For example, 修身 齐家 治国 平天下 was not directly from 孔子.

That was what I learned. If incorrect, 多多指教。

Comment

So you mean what 孔子 teach is different from 儒家? Or are there any conflict between then?

儒家尊孔子為萬世師表,四書論語以孔語為錄。古有言,一部論語治天下。

Any particular reason you are differentiating them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ahpui View Post
                          So you mean what 孔子 teach is different from 儒家? Or are there any conflict between then?

There is no conflict. I said very clearly that 儒家思想 is not just about 孔子 but some others as well. Read my last post again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahpui View Post

儒家尊孔子為萬世師表 means 孔子is regarded as the teacher and role model over generations. This is in line with the fact that he is the founder of 儒家.

四書論語以孔語為錄 - this is very vague. It is just like some historian generally refers all people within 儒家as the students of 孔子, even thought some of them were from different generations and had never met 孔子.

古有言,一部論語治天下- 北宋政治家赵普said "半部《论语》治天下". So depends on who you ask. I personally do not agree. 《论语》is only one of the "four books" (四书). And then they are also 五经.

Comment

If there is no conflict, then what is the point in discussing? Or you are looking at 打倒孔家店 as a 封建餘孽 but protecting 儒家as a philosophy.

Sorry if any quote error. Type off my head. Just want to gain some post to view watch... Hahaha....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X