Dr Richard Teo: Thoughts of Life, Wealth, Success & Happiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Richard Teo: Thoughts of Life, Wealth, Success & Happiness

Hi, would like to share his thoughts with fellow forummers here.

http://www.heavenaddress.com/Dr-Rich...379719/content

Youtube video URL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umLkf...layer_embedded

RIP Dr teo. Human always regret things that they wanted to do but never, when they are around. I hope this will give us some thoughts on how to have a more fulfilling life while we are still breathing.

For a start, tuesday with morris is a good read.

Comment

RIP Dr Teo. Your final words certainly made all of us re-look life and change our aspirations.
      We certainly treasure your words of wisdom. Respect.....

Comment

Dr Richard Teo's account is akin to Robin S. Sharman's "The monk who sold his Ferrari"

Avid readers out there can read Randy Pausch's "The Last Lecture", David Gottlieb's "Letters to Sam" and perhaps the critically acclaimed "The Road Less Travelled" by M.Scott Peck

Generally, the central theme for all three books is on how each moment we have should not be taken for granted for who is to know for sure where we will be at that very moment... Ultimately, health is wealth and we should all be thankful that we have a healthy body, healthy mind, with a roof over our head, spare cash to indulge in some hobbies....

Life is a journey... We enter it with nothing, we'll leave it with nothing... Complicated simplicity...

Comment

Life's a struggle for him I guess. He said that himself...He couldn't handle it. The more he had, the more he wanted. I think a lot of us are having this struggle as well. Getting a finer watch one after another seems never-ending. Mmm...I must reflect on myself.

Comment

RIP Dr. Teo...

I guess we all ought to reflect upon our lives at some point... What he said about 'true joy' does ring some bells.

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle
              What kind struggle is that, Retrovox?
              We all already have a good life so we should really be thankful.

Maybe thats why, I dont particularly find such stories particularly inspiring.
              There are tons of more inspiring stories, of tougher tests in life
              He is fortunate to have lived the good life at the very least and also realised the meaning of his life although it was short and I believe his family should be well taken care of.. so definitely RIP.

Not sure if you guys have seen this:-
              There is a documentary made of a 4 yr old girl orphan from Africa.
              She has a 2 year old brother suffering from polio and crawls on his stomach.
              This little girl fights for her own life and her brother's every day.
              At a tender age of 4, with no parents, she understands that her brother is the dearest to her.
              She cares for him tenderly and loves him wholeheartedly

Occasionally when they receive some sweets and a thin bar of soap from kind souls and charities, she would give him the sweets first and bathe him before attending to herself..... 4 years old !!!!!!

That, my friend, is a real struggle. and a true hero.
              all of just 4 years old. really puts me to shame and wells up my eyes whenever i revisit this.
              Agree with You,Bro Throttle.

Dr Teo said:all his customer look like cash to him.(i saw it in newspaper).

Very surprise to hear such comment,maybe other Doctor should give some thought of what Dr Teo said???

Comment

What kind struggle is that, Retrovox?
                We all already have a good life so we should really be thankful.

Maybe thats why, I dont particularly find such stories particularly inspiring.
                There are tons of more inspiring stories, of tougher tests in life
                He is fortunate to have lived the good life at the very least and also realised the meaning of his life although it was short and I believe his family should be well taken care of.. so definitely RIP.

Not sure if you guys have seen this:-
                There is a documentary made of a 4 yr old girl orphan from Africa.
                She has a 2 year old brother suffering from polio and crawls on his stomach.
                This little girl fights for her own life and her brother's every day.
                At a tender age of 4, with no parents, she understands that her brother is the dearest to her.
                She cares for him tenderly and loves him wholeheartedly

Occasionally when they receive some sweets and a thin bar of soap from kind souls and charities, she would give him the sweets first and bathe him before attending to herself..... 4 years old !!!!!!

That, my friend, is a real struggle. and a true hero.
                all of just 4 years old. really puts me to shame and wells up my eyes whenever i revisit this.
                I suppose the struggle here is not referring to the hardship that is experienced by the less fortunate. But the little monster that Dr Richard has created within himself.

Comment

Yes, i know. And i say, "what kind of struggle is that?".

For eg.
                  =====
                  Oh no i just bought a $68k pair of shoes handmade by the most experienced craftmen which takes 6yrs to complete and warrantied for life, now i need to buy a briefcase to go with it and the seats of my 7th Rolls Royce must match it too. Oh what a struggle! Should i get terracota to match or mediterranean sand khaki? What will my neighbors say? *Struggling....*
                  The feeling of owning everything, and yet owns nothing, which I believe, is his greatest struggle.

Comment

Dr Teo mentioned that the poor somehow is easily contented in life because they couldn't afford much. Therefore they could be happier than us. For someone who is constantly pursuing material gain especially in a society like singapore, the process is not joy for the simple reason that it will never be enough. Even if we are at the pinnacle of our life, we wont experience true joy because we want more and will always keep working towards it.

I feel what he meant here is that we are losing something along the way. We lost our focus in life other than material gains. Have we ever ask ourself when was the last time we hear bird chirping while strolling? When was the last time we stop at our path and feel our surrounding? We didn't cos we never feel life. We are in it but never part of it, we are just serving ourself like what Dr teo said.

Comment

It's really easy to say all that with all these self reflections when death is staring you in the face. Even easier if the impetus is there for you to buy a stairway to heaven.

Inspiring story? No.

Intriguing sequence of events given how "divine intervention" has somewhat transpired? Perhaps.

Key question, would all these self reflection have dawned on him if everything was fine an dandy?

Key point, be gracious, contented and grateful for each day you live.

Nonetheless, respect for the dead so RIP is all that's needed to be said.

Comment

Many will say at least he reached the peak and has everything at his prime.

There are many true stories of poverty with shorter life. That's worst.

I think the doc was about being compassionate as a doctor, a person.
                        Beng blinded by the pursue of rich and richer and neglecting kins.

The inherent society structure here is money focused. Once noble job of a doctor included.
                        Most doctors now can't wait to go private practice and make their millions.
                        Its not wrong but as a noble profession, just wish every doctor make a little contribution to society.
                        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Sorry if this sounds rude. What if there was a miracle and he was cured? Will he be back to his old ways. I bet!
                          1 3 5
                          ├┼┼╕
                          2 4 6 R

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Son View Post
                            Sorry if this sounds rude. What if there was a miracle and he was cured? Will he be back to his old ways. I bet!
                            not rude. a very realistic view that befits the world we live in.

remember the audience that dr teo is trying to reach out to... and his purpose and the legacy he wishes to leave behind.

while not all of us will move beyond the social class we were born into, some of us will work hard, whether scrupulously or not, for that chance to do so.

unfortunately, as i see/know all types of doctors in singapore, i can count with my fingers the number of singaporean doctors (40s and below) that i genuinely feel are ethical and conduct real doctoring.

some find religion and purpose later in life at an older age, usually in the face of mortality but flushed with money, and they slowly become "doctors" again. most do not.

whether rightly or wrongly, i feel it is actually the doctors that come from well-to-do backgrounds AND/OR non-singapore-trained doctors that have a slightly better ethical and moral compass during their early HO/MO years.
                            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Let's be brutally honest.

I would have had more respect for Dr Teo if he had admitted all this before he was stricken with his disease. But unfortunately, business was too good for him. There are always bad hats in every profession/walk of life.

Bro Throttle is right, there are tonnes of good stories out there. Yeah, the little girl's fight seems far more a struggle to me.
                              True inspiration arises from those who have suffered for others, not from those who have tried to make amends a little too late.

Dr Teo ain't Jesus nor John the Baptist. And i definitely ain't jealous. I have all the watches i want. Enough said.
                              Last edited by dark.magnet; 30-10-12, 07:43 PM.
                              "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X