Food Review : Chicken Rice in SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
    just curious what do you guys look for in a chicken rice?

is it the rice, or the chicken, or the soup?

also anyone a fan of the chicken organs? in particular the "kway kian" (no idea what the hell that is called in english )
    Wow, hard question on a monday morning, hehe!
    To me, the chicken should be the highlight of the dish, it has to be cooked right, tender, succulent and firm. Better yet if there are traces of geletin beneath the skin that adds to the smoothness. The chicken should also be soaked in a good and generous dose of sauce with traces of sesame oil, soy and oyster sauce, sufficiently salty and not too bland.
    The rice used should be fragrant and contain the right amount of oil; made good with the aroma of ginger. It should be good enough to eat on its own, that's the secret appeal of chicken rice!
    Screw the soup though, I think it's usually a waste of time in Singapore : p
    Sweet 16:
    PP Aquanaut
    VC Overseas
    AP ROO Black Themes
    A.Lange & Sohne 1815
    Breguet Type XXI
    Blancpain 50 Fathoms
    JLC Navy Seals
    GO Senator 60s
    GP Laureato
    Zenith Pilot Extra Special
    Rolex DSSD
    IWC Big Pilot
    Pam 112
    Omega Ploprof
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Glycine F104

Comment

good points raised! i do admit i can never stop myself for ordering an extra serve of rice... as for the soup, ive found that soaking some lettuce insides brings out a very pleasant aroma along with the chicken broth.
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I find Tian Tian a tad over-rated, yes they were good, but probably in the past. If I have to satisfy my chicken rice crave, I have the following options, I'm a "bai ji" fan btw and names below listed as "unknown..." is because I have no recollections of their stall names:

1) Chiew Kee (row of shophouses across Chinatown Point) - There are 2 stalls there along the row of shophouses, make sure you go for the one closer to China Square Central that is ran by the elder sister. The portion, and most importantly the taste is better at this stall. Let me add that this is not your usual steamed / roasted chicken, but a cross between braised and what it is also affectionately known as, "you ji" (not organic please). The lor zhup here is fantastic, really can drink it like a soup. And no screwing the soup that is served together in the set, it is easily one of the best soups accompanied with chicken rice I've had thus far.

2) Xin Ji (previously from Margaret Drive) - Prior to the demolishing of Margaret Drive Hawker Center, Xin Ji has moved to 2 locations, the first one being a somewhat makeshift building close by the now defunct theatre / bowling center (also at Margaret Drive area). The second one I believe is the Stirling Road Market. Love the chilli and rice over at Xin Ji, even the chicken deserves the same credit.

3) Unnamed chicken rice stall @ Seah Im Food Center - This one is underrated but I love the rice over here. I've been buying from this stall so often (because it's near my office) that the auntie has more or less recognised me. Their operating days are somewhat erratic in a sense that you never seem to really know when they're closed. And they don't usually serve past the designated lunch hours. Forget about going there for dinner.

4) Unnamed chicken rice stall @ Alexandra Market - I always remember this stall with the uncle in specs and perpetually in cycling tights or just tights. The chicken here is pretty good but what really surprises me is that I used to like to order chicken wings and they can really debone the chicken. Yes, even the wings can be fully deboned. Makes eating chicken wings a real pleasure.

I've tried Wee Nam Kee a few times but the fact that Novena isn't all that near my home or workplace, doesn't mean that it will be excluded from this list too. The other one that I have heard almost excessively about is the one at Army Market, but I've never personally tried it (think it's only been mentioned once on this thread). Feel free to add on to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
          Zhi Jin Chen Chicken Rice at Alexandra Hawker, then drink Mr exotic's Avocado Fruit Juice.
          This one jin power... My number 1 favorite !

Comment

The chicken rice stall at katong shopping center b1 exist since my sec school days. The meat portion is huge and soup is best and can refill too.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            A Crown for Every Achievement
            Life is Nothing Without Style

Comment

Many many moons ago, I like the chicken rice at chatter box at mandarin hotel....... Now just get from boon tong kee at katong.

Comment

i am still looking for the roast chicken rice stall tat used to be at lower floor of Margaret Drive hawker centre. Named Tong Kee....suits my taste and big portion...

Comment

O.K. with my limited knowledge I can say my favorite places are:
                  1. Corner of Pervis Street and Beach Road in Bugis (great flavour);
                  2. Top Floor of the Plaza next to the Grand Hyatt in Scotts Road (very soft meat).

Comment

i quite like the one located at Far East i think 5th floor. Quite nice.
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Juz had chatter box chicken rice today....

Originally posted by monstaR View Post
                      Many many moons ago, I like the chicken rice at chatter box at mandarin hotel....... Now just get from boon tong kee at katong.
                      Wrist shot while waiting for my chicken rice....

tata here it is....

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                        i quite like the one located at Far East i think 5th floor. Quite nice.
                        Ditto. My favourite.
                        PP 5726 leather for work
                        PP 5167 for smart casual

And for my Mrs
                        PP 7018 IA (Blue face)
                        PP 5067 (Black face)
                        PP 5067 (White face)

Comment

i tried it several times years ago when my wife had my 2 kids at mount Alvernia. Personally I like it very much. It's good and I strongly recommend it. Cheers.

Originally posted by albertgo View Post
                          Anybody like the Kampong Chicken Rice (Chicken House) in 255 Upper Thomson Rd?

Comment

Has any been to the Wee Nam Kee in Katong 112? It's just as good as the one in Novena.
                            "Everyone wants a Rolex. If they say they are not interested, they must be lying." - Telepgm

Comment

Shall try the above mentioned stalls when im next in sg.
                              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                              Blue 6694
                              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

I've been to Chin Chin, it was pretty good... I love visiting Singapore!!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X