First nice watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First nice watch

Sorry for one of these post again, but thought it will be nice to hear from senior bros on their views. I have to say, I am still a noob in watches and movements etc.

Graduated and working for a year, thought its time for me to get myself a nice watch after using my trusty seiko for a while now. Started with a budget of 4k and wanted to get myself a black bay, but after all the trips to AD, I'm now left in a dilemma of which to choose!

1. Black Bay Red - Vintage, within my budget, have been told its worth the price.

2. Pelagos - Absolutely love the blue lume on the bezel and dial, but price is a little steep even after discount with AD on top of the thickness. The date function is a good plus as well.

3. PO 8500 - The most expensive out of the lot. Love the blue lume but the green minute lume does turn me off a little. Great in-house movement and I believe the best option among the 3 to retain value.

I have to be honest and admit that it probably wont be my last watch, will likely get another when I hit another milestone in life, which will hopefully be in around 4-5 years time (and not earlier!).

P.S. - I work in the office, so my usual dress code will be shirt and pants. The watch will ideally be my regular work watch, and if weekend dress code allows, be that as well

Cheers!

I see that you have done some homework and it sure helps in decision-making. IMO, and among the three options, I will have no second thought to take option 1, ie the Black Bay (BB). On the Pelagos, you are not wrong to say that the price is a little steep because there will be more choices out there. On the Planet Ocean 8500, whether it retains value well is subjective. I don't see Omega watches having good resale value, and especially so if you have purchased it at at a high price.

Since this is going to be your first watch (with more to come gradually), also taking into consideration your daily work attire, I personally feel the BB is most suitable - price, aesthetics, versatility
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thanks for your reply bro!

I guess you affirmed my decision to get the BB. Onto to the specific, I thought of getting the leather strap as I felt it fits the vintage design of the watch better than the bracelet, even though I heard from many that its more value to get the bracelet (as the purchase of the bracelet by itself cost a lot more!).

In addition, anyone has any good lobang for it? As I am not a regular, the best I was able to get thus far is 10% off AD. Any bros here able to/know where to secure better discount?

Comment

to me, it also sounds like the BB would be the best choice for you.

your options become a little wider if you are opened to buying pre-owned.

as for the bracelet... definitely get the bracelet unless you know for sure you are not a bracelet guy. if your mainstay has thus far been one seiko, i think it's too early to tell.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I thought of pre-owned watches too, but thought it will be fine to get a first hand at least for my first..

Used to own a designer fossil watch during my teen but has been using the seiko for the last couple of years.

Amex seems like a great card to use with the great points system with some of the ADs. Any other recommendations?

Comment

i think generally you can wrangle a better discount with cash - but if you have a particular card whose points/mileage is worth having, it may not be a bad idea to use the card.

it doesn't necessarily have to be amex. i'm now spending on an ANZ travel card because that's what works for me (for now). previously i was with amex but i no longer fly SQ so what's the point? (pun not intended)

some cards also give an interest free repayment plan, but i urge you to save and think carefully before buying such a quick depreciating item on credit. if you have the cash and just wish to make use of the offer (0% plan may get you some additional discount, for example) then, why not!
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I tried, but both hourglass and cortina told me it doesn't matter whether it's paid by cash or card - it will still be the same.

I do have the cash and prefer to have pay up front! Plus the only reason why I prefer Amex ATM is the partnership with hourglass that will give me additional points. With 4k of spending I'll probably get like additional 120$ vouchers or more depending on different merchants..

That being said, do let me know if you have good lobang and thanks in advance!

Edit - I'm actually looking at PO2500, it kinda attracts me too damn!

Comment

You may also want to consider the Black Bay with the blue bezel look.
                I think it shd be the same price as the red.
                The PO2500 is an old Omega entry level movement. Shd be phasing out soon.
                Their newer movement will the 8500 onwards. But x.

Comment

Had a look at the blue bezel one but they won't have any discount on it at all. At least not for the next few months as it's hot in demand.

Yeah I kind of prefer 2500 due to the thinness and cheaper price!

Comment

But are u sure you want to get a soon to be out of production model with the money u spent?
                    Have you also consider the OMEGA Speedmaster models, probable the most basic moon watch series?
                    They are thin as well.

Comment

Hmm I guess I'm fine with getting a out of production watch? Forgive me for my noob-ness, but I actually dont see a problem with that. Of course as long as they're selling it cheap!
                      A Audi A4 is selling for around 160k now as I heard they're phasing it out in 2016.

Yeah I have looked at the Speedmaster models before, but I find chrono watches a little complicated and actually prefer clean faces

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                        ...Yeah I kind of prefer 2500 due to the thinness and cheaper price!
                        excellent choice. i urge you be patient and look for a 2500D (less common) revision instead of the 2500C (very common).

the 2500C and 2500-equipped PO was made in such large quantities that it doesn't matter if it's phased out. omega will be happy to service it for a long time to come - as they always have.

the 2500D is in the current range of seamasters and likely to be in use for a long time more. so you're covered on that front as well.

Comment

I've actually googled and tried searching about the difference between 2500C and D, but is there a distinct, non-technical difference? Eg, the watch ref, ceramic bezel etc.

I know there are differences between the movements (have read that D has more complexity etc), but thought it will be good to know how to notice them at a glance (for noobs like me) before pulling the trigger.

Thanks and cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                            I've actually googled and tried searching about the difference between 2500C and D, but is there a distinct, non-technical difference? Eg, the watch ref, ceramic bezel etc.

I know there are differences between the movements (have read that D has more complexity etc), but thought it will be good to know how to notice them at a glance (for noobs like me) before pulling the trigger.

Thanks and cheers!
                            if i remember correctly, the 3-level co-axial design used in the 8500 is also in the 2500D.

this was how the inventor of the daniels escapement conceived it to be, but omega went with a 2-level design in the 2500C (and B... not sure about the A but i think that too) perhaps due to a limitation inherent of the ebauche (co-axial escapement made to fit in a 2892 as opposed to the 8500 which, i believe, was designed around the co-ax)...

in that sense, it's a current and up-to-date movement. 2500D equipped POs are not rare as they come up for sale on TZ every month or so. my experience has been the 45mm version is probably easier to get than the 42mm version, but the 42mm version is by no means rare in the conventional sense...

like you, i appreciate the thickness (okay, thinness) of the 2500 PO. it will easily make a dependable life time watch and is likely to retain its value better than the 2500C PO.

seeing that i have only -now- realized i misread your reply (it's almost 4AM) - no, there is no real difference in terms of appearance, BUT the date wheel has an updated font. whether by design or not, the consensus has been: new font = 2500D. everything else is as you would expect.

a ceramic bezel is nicer, especially on paper, but not necessarily better for your wallet when it breaks. others may use the acrylic vs sapphire crystal argument but horses for courses... although it does seem to be the direction everyone's moving towards.

Comment

Haha thanks for the information anyway Taxico!

Just head down to a Omega shop in the afternoon, unfortunately they dont sell 2500 anymore

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X