Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinn U2 - Is it practical?

Hi guys!

I have been reading up on U2 and am quite impressed with the technology that the guys at Sinn are squeezing into this watch.
    From Argon gas to Capsule, its all made to ensure that the watch can last under pressure.

However, I would like to find out from you guys how practical is it when the need comes to service the Argon or Capsule? Have to send back to Germany to have it done?

Based on this fact, can I also guess that getting a THG U2 makes more sense since they are then willing to help you send in for service as compared to overseas AD pair where you got to DIY.

Hope to hear your comments on this, especially those that own it.

Cheers!

those were the reasons why I end up not buying a U2
    capsule is fine cos seldom hear of the capsule ever turning saturated and needs changing. its the Ar gas issue.

but then again, if you don mind inside no Ar then guess can just hand over to some watch maker?
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I think this factor should not be the main factor holding you back from buying a U2. A watch service is a must, especially when you wear the watch regularly but not in relatively near future. Usually I would send the watch for service in its 4th-5th year and chances are it's gonna be still beating by then.

I have no problems servicing my watch overseas at the factory, both as walk in customer or sent via post. It's great to do it locally in terms of convenient but not necessarily faster.

Comment

Have owned my U2 for a while already and it's a great watch IMHO. Like Wenda, I also tend to send my watches for servicing every fifth year ...
        运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Originally posted by Wenda View Post
          I think this factor should not be the main factor holding you back from buying a U2. A watch service is a must, especially when you wear the watch regularly but not in relatively near future. Usually I would send the watch for service in its 4th-5th year and chances are it's gonna be still beating by then.

I have no problems servicing my watch overseas at the factory, both as walk in customer or sent via post. It's great to do it locally in terms of convenient but not necessarily faster.
          I agree on the local not necessarily portion.

But I had quite a bad start with Sinn watches unfortunately. My 857 bought brand new from THG was sent into THG for 3 times within the first week. In the end, they gave me a 1 to 1 exchange and gave up trying to fix it.

Imagine if it had to be sent to Germany to be fixed? if all ends well, and I get it back from Germany within a month, fine. But if it came back with other issues, then I will be crying. Hence, I feel that its still a point to be concern with, esp when you have to be paying for the postal once out of warranty.

You could sent it back to THG and they will send it back to Germany. This way, at least you don need to worry abt possible postal loss or damage since THG will be the one responsible. Either way, these are stil IMO very real factors to consider.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Sinn U2 is one of the best watch that you can own. I have one and nvr worry abt the possibility of getting it scratched.

Yes, svc maybe an issue but you have the warranty to cover any problem for the 1st two years.

My fren actually changed his Sinn watch 3X bcos of some "defects" on his PVD. THG gladly did it for him.
            Current Watches

Sinn U2
            Sinn EZM 1
            Sub 14060
            GMT 16710
            PAM 219J
            PAM 005K

Wishlist:knock:

ROLEX 1655
            ROLEX 1665

Comment

Hi to All Sinn Gurus,

I keen abt the U2 but before my final call, i wld like to know whether can we ignoring the Ar gas refill (every 5yrs) and the watch still function well with it basic water proofing at moderate depth of 100 ~ 200m ?

Are thr any local potential watch servicing shops able to perform routine servicing ?

Pls kindly advise & thks a lot.
              New ROLEXY on the Blog

Wishlist
              1) Yach-Master (16622)
              2) Explorer II - Black/White (216570)
              3) Submariner TTc (116613LB)

Madness
              The ITCH is getting worse & incurable

Repentance
              I let go my beloved U-Series Sub (16610) for the newcomers.

Comment

Yes, the AR gas doesn't affect water resistancy. I have a chat with Dr Schmidt and he explained that the gas doesn't have a direct impact on water resistancy. Most importantly he said is the gasket. That's why the reason why they need to be replaced (even if not broken) after 3-5 years.

Sinn uses a more expensive Viton gasket FYI.

As for the movement, it's a standard ETA2893-2 movement, so servicing it locally should not be a problem.

Comment

Yes, the AR gas doesn't affect water resistancy. I have a chat with Dr Schmidt and he explained that the gas doesn't have a direct impact on water resistancy. Most importantly he said is the gasket. That's why the reason why they need to be replaced (even if not broken) after 3-5 years.

Sinn uses a more expensive Viton gasket FYI.

As for the movement, it's a standard ETA2893-2 movement, so servicing it locally should not be a problem.
                  Wooh Cool ! Wenda Bro ! Thks for yr rapid response.

Thks a lot for the info & tips.

So u hv any local shops to recommend for the basic servicing and if possible & better still with change of the Viton Gasket u mentioned ?
                  New ROLEXY on the Blog

Wishlist
                  1) Yach-Master (16622)

Madness

Repentance

Comment

I am not sure if they can obtain real Viton gasket. Factory servicing is IMHO very highly recommended.

Comment

I am not sure if they can obtain real Viton gasket. Factory servicing is IMHO very highly recommended.
                      K, sure & thks a lot for your inputs.
                      New ROLEXY on the Blog

Wishlist
                      1) Yach-Master (16622)

Madness

Repentance

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X