X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A review of my Lum-tec M16

A review of my Lum-tec M16

Lum-tec Watch

This is a family run, USA based company, whose parent company is Wiegand Custom Watch, LLC., based in USA. The watches were pitched at the entry level of the market and were available in Singapore through Watch-Werkz, the exclusive distributor here. One of their key technologies is the MDV Technology ® "Maximum Darkness Visibility". According to Lum-tec, this is a special 6 layer application of Superluminova applied over a chemical coated white base, causing an incredibly bright luminescent light charge. Each 44mm M series twin barrel automatic is hand assembled in USA with parts from all over the world. They have fitted a fully restored historic military twin barrel automatic movement with a power reserve of over 38-41 hours.

Technical Data

• Case Size: 44mm case excluding crown; 13mm thick, weighs 125grams for watch + leather; weights 250grams for watch + steel bracelet!
    • Lug size: 24mm lug width.
    • Case: Brushed 316L stainless steel case with diamond-sealed crown, and quick-set date button at "2"
    • Movement: Rare twin barrel 21 jewel vintage automatic winding Soviet military movement (Slava) – non hacking. Full restoration and serviced in USA. 38-41 hours power reserve.
    • Water Resistant: 100 meters / 330 feet water resistance.
    • Dial Colour: Black dial with LUM-TEC GX MDV® luminous on hands and numerals.
    • Case Back: Engraved solid caseback
    • Straps: 3 straps included; 316L stainless steel bracelet with brushed finish, molded rubber strap with matched stitching and leather strap with matched stitching.
    • Crystal: Flat, heavy sapphire crystal with double-sided anti-reflective coatings, that cuts glare by up to 40%.
    • Box: Top quality box set with 1 year limited warranty, instruction manual, authenticity signed certificate and 2 strap compartments for the rubber and leather straps.
    • Others: Limited 100 units produced.

Case and Comfort

The SS case is a nice 44mm and squarish-round in shape. The overall matt finish is very nice. The lugs curves nicely and hugs my wrist. The design of the lugs is just right, not too long that they sits on my wrist but makes the watch very comfortable on the wrist. However, total weight of the full SS watch and bracelet is about 250gm and it needs some getting used to. The back of the case is SS with engravings.

Crystal and Crown
    The crown sets the time (non-hacking). The push button at 2 sets the date. You push the button to advance the date. The whole arrangement is easy and simple. The thickness of the case gives one a solid feel and also leaves room for engraving on the side (if need be). The think sapphire glass has double AR coating resulting in a virtually glare free crystal and appears lightly blue-tinted when viewed from certain angles.

Movement

(above images of movements were taken from Watchwerkz website)

The movement is a Russian Slava, a twin barrel, handwind base with a date module and an auto winding module added. The movement can be wound by hand for maximum power reserve, and functions as an auto. I was informed that after a complete unwind, to start the watch, it using a vintage movement, I need to wind it 50 times or so and then placed dial up. I find the movement feels very smooth to wind.

Accuracy
    The watch has been accurate for the last 24 hours since I bought it. But I have not let it fully unwind and rewind it so I cannot vouch for the average timing readings.

Dial and Hands

The hands and indices are clearly visible. There is no difficulty in telling time. The seconds hand is legible and thin enough so that I would not mistake it for the minute hand. The numerals (12, 3, 6, 9) are big and striking. The lume on the numerals, indices and hands is thick and evenly applied, and appears so under the loupe. After daylight exposure, they showed a nice glow. The date wheel is a black font on white background which makes it very striking and sharp. Numbers likes “28”, “29” and “30” fit nicely in the date window.

Strap

The M16 comes with leather and rubber straps, and a nice SS matt bracelet. I am a bracelet person, so the thick bracelet grows on me. I notice the leather strap came with quick release spring bars, which is a great idea as it saves time in changing straps.

Packaging and Manual
    The outer box is a white thick hard cardboard box and an inner black box (pvc, I think). Box comes with 1 year limited warranty, instruction manual, authenticity signed certificate and 2 strap compartments for the rubber and leather straps.

Overall Impression

The watch is built ruggedly. It is simple and functional. From a distance (1.5m away), the dial, numerals and hands are clearly visible. The close-up photos in this review aim to give the detail of the design. However, the overall appearance on the wrist, with the lume on the black background, the watch gives a very sleek and clean-cut look. It is impressive yet understated. The dial’s colour changes with the light when viewed from different angles, giving it a unique elegance. It is a pleasure to read time from this watch daily. For a good design with a vintage movement, plus three straps, this is a good bargain for me.

The M16 current retail price is $1,200.

Choe Kee Hong/(CKH2359/Wind128)
    Copyright January 2009

thanks for sharing!!

you actually opened the watch and took a look at the movement and took photos!! salute you!!
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Typo. Mistake. It's 2010 already!

Comment

Hi Exxondus

No, I did not open the watch - I have indicated the two movement pictures were taken from Watchwerkz website.

Comment

oh haha, okok I missed out :P oops
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Its a nice piece and it looks well made. Congrats and thanks for sharing! I like the design of the clear legible dial. How long does the lume last?
            sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

thanks for sharing, have a great time with yr watch!

Comment

thanks for sharing. that's quite some details.

the case and dial looks well finished.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I put the watch away from light for 7 hours, the lume is still bright after that. Very good!!

Comment

Thank you friends, all of you, for the nice comments. This is indeed a superb workhorse. By the way, I haven't let the watch unwind fully yet, but from the time I got the watch - 12 Jan, 3pm until now, the accuracy is spot on. I am using my computer clock to track.

Comment

Excellent!

Originally posted by wind128 View Post
                      I put the watch away from light for 7 hours, the lume is still bright after that. Very good!!
                      sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

Yes, am enjoying dinner time with Watch ...

Comment

After 2 months, I am happy to update the Lum-tec M16 is functioning well, the accuracy is within +2 secs a day and after completely stopping the watch and starting up, it runs excellently. The push button date function is great! Although sometimes I may accidently press it and the date jumps, but I can quickly set back the date by pressing the button.

It is really a cool watch, in the date and in the night!

Comment

nice watch! the face looks like the b&r br01...

Comment

Thank you for the compliments and others who complimented the watch. It is not as square as B&R (which is a one of the most appealing features of all B&R watches). This Lumtec has presence because of the size, thickness, bright lume on black dial, and simple-clear dial. I am not using it as a daily beater, so most of the time it is on a winder on my desk. I am impressed that the timing is very good. It is running on a vintage twin-barrel russian movement.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X