Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for an everyday watch under $1.5k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! Its my first Ball and the one i like most.

Originally posted by sportee View Post
    this is a nice piece...
    sys12345

http://simply-pen.blogspot.com/ - m4/3 Pen Blog

Comment

There's a high chance that i will be getting this Stowa Marine Automatic.
      It will cost something like S$1800 (not inclusive of shipping) and will only be shipped over in around Mid May 2010.
      Do you guys think its worth it?

It's slightly over my budget of S$1.5k..

And I saw this Stowa Marine Automatic in the forum going for $750

what you guys recommend ? that i stick to my budget since i getting a everyday beater ? or i up the budget and get something i really like ?

Comment

Originally posted by overcrash View Post
        Hi all, newbie here just stepping into the world of watches.

Got myself a Longines Master Series, and getting a Rolex Date Just in the coming weeks.

Now am thinking of getting an everyday watch under $1.5k?
        Will be stepping out into the outside world soon after 10 years in the green well. =)

So need a good watch that will complement the corporate/executive look and not overly expensive.
        you want good resale value with minimal depreciation? stick to rolex/tudor...

you can find 3035 datejust for around $1.5k-$1.75k without bracelet (i just bought one locally around x'mas time 2009)

1570 datejust without bracelet will be cheaper... should be around $1.2k.

manual wind oysterdate (34mm) between $1k-$1.4k should include a genuine rolex bracelet.

older 34mm rolex date can also be found well under $1.5k...

if you want something from tudor, i recommend a 38mm day-date tudor (smooth bezel), around $1k. actually, recently one went for less than $900... sold very fast.

or else, a 36mm/38mm tudor oysterprince (smooth bezel), should cost around $600-$1k (depending on condition).

all prices above are reasonable, and i would be wary about paying more.

non rolex/tudor:

otherwise any day-date V7750-based watch will be very versatile... chrono + day + date + time = bao ka liao.

try fortis or hamilton...

sometimes you can get a L5510-based day-date chrono for around $1.5k. i recommend it over the valjoux.

don't get anything too thick or it will not fit well under your cuff. the chronos are pushing it a little bit... but should still fit.

japanese:

pre-owned seiko sumo on bracelet + MM rachet clasp swop + sapphire upgrade + ask watchmaker to regulate during upgrade = less than $1k for sure. gonna serve you for a long long time, from beach to office, and has a "ta kong chai" look.

in demand all over watch world. easy to sell.

personally, i would stick with the rolex/seiko watches i mentioned above as anything else might be difficult to sell.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
          you want good resale value with minimal depreciation? stick to rolex/tudor...

you can find 3035 datejust for around $1.5k-$1.75k without bracelet (i just bought one locally around x'mas time 2009)

1570 datejust without bracelet will be cheaper... should be around $1.2k.

manual wind oysterdate (34mm) between $1k-$1.4k should include a genuine rolex bracelet.

older 34mm rolex date can also be found well under $1.5k...

if you want something from tudor, i recommend a 38mm day-date tudor (smooth bezel), around $1k. actually, recently one went for less than $900... sold very fast.

or else, a 36mm/38mm tudor oysterprince (smooth bezel), should cost around $600-$1k (depending on condition).

all prices above are reasonable, and i would be wary about paying more.
          i am getting swayed! haha!

but where can you find this ? any shops to recommend or something ?
          i prefer to get one with bracelet.
          the only thing i am skeptical about is that i do not know how to examine the condition of a pre-owned rolex and thus determine the value..

i been scouring the site hoping to see some rollies that fit my budget, but sad to say, none of them does... =/

by the way, whats a seiko "sumo"?

Comment

but where can you find this ? any shops to recommend or something ?

i prefer to get one with bracelet.

the only thing i am skeptical about is that i do not know how to examine the condition of a pre-owned rolex and thus determine the value..

by the way, whats a seiko "sumo"?
            you will rarely find someone selling a 3035 for $1.5k on sg-roc. i don't want to go into details, but most sellers want top dollar for their goods.

you will almost never find such prices in a "shop" either. you can try to inform the shop you are looking for XXX watch for XXX $... who knows? you might get lucky...

you just have to be patient and check sg-roc/*** regularly - you WILL get lucky. other times you just have to approach people and offer them money.

also, go for the monthly pawnshop auction. you may get lucky, but make sure you do your research and don't overpay.

i recommend not getting the bracelet from sellers as the premium paid for these older pieces are not worth it - the bracelets are generally in poor condition. (unless you are paying less than $225 over my recommended price for the bracelet, OR if the bracelet is in good condition and ALL genuine)

an aftermarket jubilee works better than a saggy 15 year old genuine rolex bracelet.

also, i do not recommend buying any 34mm rolex watches in singapore. 36mm is your best bet.

as for condition... generally you can tell by looking all over the watch, especially when the bracelet/strap is not attached. if the bezel is worn, the crown doesn't feel "sharp" to the touch and the movement winds weirdly - it is likely the watch has not been serviced in a while.

the same goes if the rotor is rough sounding. if the area between the lugs are pitted, you know it is likely the inner case back areas (eg, gasket grooves) are in poor condition and might no longer be water proof.

unscrew the crown and check how dirty the tube is. does it screw back properly? do the hands turn properly or is there play? does the date flick over (3035) around midnight? is the datewheel correct to the watch? (check color and font type, etc)

is there any sign of corrosion/water damage on the dial/hands? you must always assume the worse and know the amount required to make the watch spick and span before handing your money over.

add it all to your final cost: if it's not worth servicing, don't buy it...

a 3035 movement (unserviced but working) goes for around $1k-$1.2k.

a 1570 movement goes for around $800-$1k. the rest of the parts are another few hundred bucks (max 500 maybe, if all in good condition) put together (case, case back, bezel, crown, tube, crystal, dial, hands, date wheel).

too much to explain... be patient. that's all i can recommend as a "guo lai ren"... pay for the best example you can find. there will always be good buys if you are patient. BE PATIENT!

you might even get lucky on ebay (as i have seen many times before). sometimes you get datejusts going for a little over US$1k. (go and search)

try VRM too... just last night i saw a complete airking going for US$1.2k. 1520 movement alone is around US$800. bracelet is another US$200-US$300. worth it.

just be sure you buy the seller (make sure he/she comes with references - ask for it in VRF and cross check with watchnet)

as for seiko sumo... it's a seiko dive watch. google it at your own risk as it's a whole other ball game!
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

thanks a lot mate!

no matter if i buy a rolex in the air, your sharing will be heeded for a long long time. =)

really appreciate it!

there's so much to learn in the world of watches!

Comment

It will cost something like S$1800 (not inclusive of shipping) and will only be shipped over in around Mid May 2010.

what you guys recommend ? that i stick to my budget since i getting a everyday beater ? or i up the budget and get something i really like ?
                anyone care to comment on this ?

Comment

anyone care to comment on this ?
                  if you are buying it to wear for a while and then sell, go ahead. just be reminded that warranty work -might- require the watch be shipped back to germany...

if you really like what you see, go ahead. you will learn that sometimes, you need to own a watch to know it's not for you. or that it IS right for you!

naturally, as the singapore market has yet mature and warm up to brands like stowa, your loss will be someone else's gain should you not like it.

i like some of stowa's watches. not this one though.

yet at the end of the day, it's YOUR money. you should buy whatever you want!

no amount of advice on any forum can help shape your taste over what is strapped on your wrist...!

(whatever you buy, be sure to post pics here!!!)

Comment

Maybe Sinn 656?

Comment

Originally posted by fellali View Post
                      Maybe Sinn 656?
                      nv like sinn watches... haha... nth against the brand, just that i find that it does not suit me ?

thanks though. =)

Comment

Considering that I do not mind pre-owned watches, are there any nice Ball watches that is under 1.5k to recommend?

Comment

sign up for a Fedex account with your credit card and you can purchase the MO from the Stowa Online Shop for Worldwide Customers instead of the EU so you do not pay the 19% tax.

this should work out to about 760EUR + 59EUR for shipping = 1,552.35 SGD

Fedex will then bill you 7% GST after from value Stowa states on the airway bill so that be about another $100+-...1650 SGD or so for the MO Roman.
                          [IMG]http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/data/545/bbm_barcode.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by demonicangelz View Post
                            Considering that I do not mind pre-owned watches, are there any nice Ball watches that is under 1.5k to recommend?
                            with some patience and luck, possible to get a ball hydrocarbon for around 1.5k.

Rolex 6694? Classic, robust and stable price.
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

hi guys, in the end i got 2 seikos as everyday watch! will post the pics later! thanks for the advices and sharings! am sure i will return to some of the pieces mentioned later in my horological journey. ^^

Comment

pics please~
                                [IMG]http://www.bmw-sg.com/photopost/data/545/bbm_barcode.JPG[/IMG]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X