Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartz watch - need servicing

Dear bros,

I recently sent in a quartz watch (shan't mention brand - but it is a $3k range watch) that is around 6 years old cos the battery died.

When I sent it in to the authorised repair centre, was told battery change is $50. But about 1 mth+ later (yes, it takes them that long), they say that the machine needs servicing as well and is charging me $300+...

I am puzzled cos never thought quartz machine needs servicing. any bros here knows?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Chunster69 View Post
    Dear bros,

I recently sent in a quartz watch (shan't mention brand - but it is a $3k range watch) that is around 6 years old cos the battery died.

When I sent it in to the authorised repair centre, was told battery change is $50. But about 1 mth+ later (yes, it takes them that long), they say that the machine needs servicing as well and is charging me $300+...

I am puzzled cos never thought quartz machine needs servicing. any bros here knows?

Thanks in advance.
    3k range quartz? bvlgari or chopard ah? ..

anyway, you can opt not to service it if you feel that it was working fine. But yes, quartz watch also need servicing from time to time.

but what I don understand is, which lame service centre is that that takes 1 mth + to get back to you??
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Thanks bro...

Yes, it is a lame service centre. Supposed to revert within a week and took 1+ mth. I accepted to service the watch. They say std leadtime is 10-12weeks more to service....managed to ask them to expediate to 6 weeks...sigh....

shan't mention the brand here...but it is neither of the 2 you mentioned...the authorised servicing agent for this brand is through one of the watch retailers here..

Comment

Wow...expensive to service a quatz...

Comment

Thanks bro...

Yes, it is a lame service centre. Supposed to revert within a week and took 1+ mth. I accepted to service the watch. They say std leadtime is 10-12weeks more to service....managed to ask them to expediate to 6 weeks...sigh....

shan't mention the brand here...but it is neither of the 2 you mentioned...the authorised servicing agent for this brand is through one of the watch retailers here..
          fm?
          In The Bag
          Him
          Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
          Her
          Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
          Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

cost for servicing and repairing/replacement of parts on quartz is always more costly then auto movement...

Comment

almost dived into a cintree curvex... but heart too dear to part with that kind of money for a quartz!!
              In The Bag
              Him
              Tissot PR100 AutoQuartz T14.1.489.11, Longines Dolce Vita L56554736, Rolex SS Submariner 16610, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Glycine Airman SST 06 Ref:3856.186-D8, Seiko Blue Ti Samurai SBDA003, Diver SKX007J, Black Sumo SBDC001, Tuna Can SBBN007, Orange Monster SKX781, Vintage Diver 6309-7040, Vintage Bellmatic 4006-7002
              Her
              Tissot PR50 T27.2.281.13, Longines Dolce Vita L51584736

Next Target
              Damned! My wife's list is not growing...Rolex MOP Datejust for Missus...

Comment

Dear bros,

Thanks in advance.
                quartz watches will screw up over time, some earlier than others.

if there is no battery leakage, no water damage, you merely need to unassembled the watch, clean it, oil it and put it back together.

this process is much simpler than in a mechanical movement... and SHOULD NOT cost you so much.

bring it to a watch repair shop and tell them you think the hands need cleaning to work properly. should be cheap. if it doesn't work, the watchmaker will probably tell you and you can then proceed to the service center.

as time goes by in a quartz, the oils on the hand will get hard and the movement cannot muster enough power to change the time... this is especially after a period of having a dead batt and the quality of oils used in the watch.

cheers!
                “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Never Again!

Finally got the watch back (granted the watch was ready for a couple of weeks before it is collected)...this is the last time this watch is going back to the authorised service center for battery change...

I must say this is a rather bad experience. This watch is 6 years old and have been sent to the authorised service center (it was a different authorised service center then) for battery change the last 2 times and it was quick and cheap (relatively)...

When the battery died this time round, the authorised service center is changed to one of the local watch retailer chain and this happens...@#$#$#%

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X