How to take care of the AR coating of my IWC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take care of the AR coating of my IWC

Hi all since i am new to IWC. i have couple of question to ask so please bear with me. Below are the question --

1) I had heard that the AR coating get scratch easily, how do you normally take care of the AR coating? Does the coating go off overtime?
    2) How long before i need to service the 3717.
    3) Is there any protective cover that is similar to those i saw for Panerai?

Interesting topic...lucky my omega has the AR treatment at the inside of the crystal
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

simi AR coating ah? Please enlighten me.

i also have a 3717, never knew got AR coating.

pray advice....

Comment

eh...the spec says "scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment inside". Not sure if this is a special way of AR coating as it seems more common that AR coating is outside...?

But come to think of it...if the coating can be scratched and faded totally over time, why have the coating outside instead of inside?
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Hi,

I am also trying to find out how easy e AR on e outside will scratch. Someone pmed me saying e AR can be "polished off" so it only has AR on e inside.

Possible to reapply e AR with svc ctr or anybody knows who does that?

Thanks.

Comment

I not sure whether the AR coating is inside or outside but i have heard that the coating can get easily scratch even though it is sapphire crystal. Can anyone verify this? The only watch with AR coating is my IWC, my tag and maurice don't have AR coat.

Comment

Originally posted by 1248614 View Post
              simi AR coating ah? Please enlighten me.

i also have a 3717, never knew got AR coating.

pray advice....

AR= anti-reflective , i think it is similar to those we saw on specs right?

Comment

If I don't remember wrongly, Omega one is OUTSIDE but IWC one is INSIDE. I used to have an Omega Speedmaster Triple Date that got some scratches.

Comment

If I am not wrong, IWC's AR coating is on both sides...

Comment

Who own a IWC can do some testing ? Just scratch outside using a pen knide and let us know

Comment

sorry, I'm wrong, Omega also both sides.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=236035

Comment

I am pretty sure your iwc 3717 has both AR on the inside and outside of the crystal. If in any case it gets scratched, and it bothers you like the other member said just polish that AR off.. You still have one coating inside like Panerai watches.

Comment

I recall someone posted on WUS before/after pictures of his Omega Aqua Terra with the outer AR coat removed. It's not an IWC but still worth a look in case anyone is thinking about it.

Comment

The AR coating for teh 3717 is on both the inside and the outside. I just checked against the 2009/2010 catalogue.
                            I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
                            http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

AR coating outside can scratch despite the sapphire glass

Just be careful when swinging your arm... only if the scratches get too numerous then you can choose to use cap cod polish it off or let Richemont handle it if you are scared of damaging the watch. AR coating looks nice when the watch is new and makes the glass 'disappear' but the stupidest thing is despite the sapphire glass, the AR coating on the outside can scratch so it can look ugly if there are lots of them.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X