Sinn: A record of repeated Defects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinn: A record of repeated Defects

My 857s, will be sent back to Sinn for an expected lengthy period to determine the cause of the fading PVD.

it's not the first time that it has given me headaches. the lume pip on the bezel dropped off early this year and recently i found the PVD coating is fading around the caseback

will be sending it back to THG today.

Not too sure whether they will classify the PVD coating wearing off as wear and tear. Oh well, good luck!

Comment

erm...as far i as i know....PVD is a coating layer...after some time of wearing sure wear off de...esp on the edges of the watch....afterall all coatings will wear off after some time....
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
        erm...as far i as i know....PVD is a coating layer...after some time of wearing sure wear off de...esp on the edges of the watch....afterall all coatings will wear off after some time....
        Yupe that is correct. CVD coating are a lot tougher than PVD but I don't see many watch companies using it. Its easier to do PVD too.

Comment

i read b4 DLC coating are more durable and thicker coat....

Comment

if i am not mistaken the PVD is the process and DLC is the end result

anyway i bought the watch in november and it starts showing signs of fading by april.

is this wear and tear? by the end of the year all fades off (if) so is this still considered normal wear and tear?

Comment

Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post

anyway i bought the watch in november and it starts showing signs of fading by april.

is this wear and tear? by the end of the year all fades off (if) so is this still considered normal wear and tear?
              wow sounds pretty bad.

I tht the PVD by sinn is some kind of tegiment and supposed to be very lasting?
              I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I suppose PVD coating wear is considered under normal wear and tear process...Maybe more Sinn Gurus can step in to assist in this matter....me not really into the PVD process and such...

Sorry that i cannot help much in this matter....cheers..

Comment

The back case look not screw in properly to me....uneven...

Comment

This is no good, esp so when the watch is still quite new. Imagine if this goes on w/o any intervention, the watch may just turned stainless steel in the next feel months..
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by terrenceterrence View Post
                      PVD is the process. This is correct. DLC is the material applied via PVD process

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                      I tht the PVD by sinn is some kind of tegiment and supposed to be very lasting?
                      Tegiment is supposed to be a method which Sinn used to harden the metal. The adhesion of the material applied via PVD is often affected by the surface finish of the material below. Makes me wonder whether the Tegimentation progress makes the material harder to bond to.

Comment

Woah, the PVD fading is pretty extreme. I am interested in the PVD'ed U-series watches and was concerned with the durability of Sinn's PVD, but looks like Sinn U Black pieces I've seen have been holding up pretty well over the past 1-2 years.

Watch Collection (click for photos!)
                        Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
                        Tag Heuer Classic 2000 Limited Edition Red/Green Dial
                        Seiko Titanium Samurai
                        Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series
                        Panerai Luminor 1950 Marina 3 Days Automatic
                        IWC Ingenieur
                        Sinn U Black (THG Limited Edition)
                        Chopard Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo (Limited Edition) (sold)
                        Panerai Luminor 1950 Submersible 1000M
                        IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

No such problems for the coatings on my U2 S or U1 Tempus.

However, I feel your pains and from your pictures, it looks very bad.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X