No announcement yet.

Interesting article on IWC movements..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on IWC movements..

I was going to get an IWC watch last weekend but stopped after reading this article. I dun know how true is this..

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_4719974

Why stopped? If you want an IWC with in-house movement you have many choices now, but at a premium. Or are you expecting IWC to drop price when they use the fully ETA assembled movement from 2011 - that will definitely not happen. I don't get your point...
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I stopped because of the movment being fully assembled by ETA..I knew tat IWC have always been using ETA base and did heavy modifications on it so I am still willing to pay for the workmanship..But getting a whole movement untouched by IWC seems weird to me..I gave up a few watch brands years back due to the fact that they only made cases and installed an untouch movement into the watch..I am not waiting for the prices to drop..But halt because of the uniqueness..

Comment

If i am not wrong, the movements are built according to IWC specs by ETA. Meaning the modifications instead of being done at IWC side, they are already done at ETA's side. Do correct me if i have misintepreted it.

Comment

Bro, you have interpreted correctly..But somehow I felt that ETA is like foxconn, apple gave them the design and specs..And foxconn does the contract manufacturing..

Comment

Originally posted by bwky View Post
            If i am not wrong, the movements are built according to IWC specs by ETA. Meaning the modifications instead of being done at IWC side, they are already done at ETA's side. Do correct me if i have misintepreted it.
            That's my understanding too.

To me, a modified ETA movement, or heavily modified ETA movement, is still an ETA movement. This is not to say ETA movement is not good, but imo the modification is done mainly to justify the higher price (compared to cheaper brands with standard or less modified ETA movement) that goes mostly into the branding.
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post

To me, a modified ETA movement, or heavily modified ETA movement, is still an ETA movement. This is not to say ETA movement is not good, but imo the modification is done mainly to justify the higher price (compared to cheaper brands with standard or less modified ETA movement) that goes mostly into the branding.
              Bro..This is the reason why till now..I can't bear to part my money for a pam..I've also got budget for watches, so those 312 are excluded liao..

Comment

Pal,

Guess most budget to even mid range watches and brand is moving towards the direction of "Apple" product. Of course modified ETA is somehow for decorative purposes and pushing up the value of theirs' brand.

Anyway so long as the movement is reliable and the watch you like, why bother. A watch is still a watch, it is still up to one's preference to anything and everything.

Hahaha...........good luck. Life is unpredictable.

Comment

A couple of extra points. "To IWC specs" doesn't necessarily mean that it's exclusive to IWC or different to everything ETA was already making (although I'm guessing it would be). "To IWC specs" also doesn't necessarily mean "better". In other industries, certain manufacturers are contracted by third parties to do their private label work (ie Party X contracts with Party Y for the latter to make the widget for Party X whose label does on the product). It is not uncommon that the third party specs are lower than the manufacturer's own specs for the manufacturer's own label products. Not saying that this is the situation with IWC of course, just that "made to our own specification" doesn't tell you very much by itself.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X