No announcement yet.

Which brand with highest resale value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which brand with highest resale value?

Hi All,

I intend to buy my first designer watch that has the highest resale value. And i shall wear it occasionally too.

I have a budget of 8.5-9k. And i don't mind pre-owned as long as it is 100% original and working fine.

Which brand fits the bill?
    1. Rolex
    2. IWC
    3. JL
    4. AP (i think my budget can only get pre-own entry level AP)
    5. Chopard

Questions:
    1. Which one fits the bill? any other suggestions?
    2. Any one try world of luxury.com? Their watches seem much cheaper than local AD. And some even cheaper than pre-own watches that some collectors are selling. Any experience dealing with them before? trust worthy?
    3. Do you bring your watches to local centre for authentification if you buy watches from overseas AD/ include reputable websites.

Thanks and best Rgds,
    starynite

MPOV is most will lose money if you did not keep long enough(+-10yrs) when buy new.
    Resales piece is good as they are already down by 30-70% and should keep the damage to the minimum even if selling soon.
    For investment, guess is the limited edition or some special collection pieces only that will make some provided you know which one.

That's just my collection point of view.

Comment

watches are not investment instruments. period. end of story . however, if you want something liquid (ie. strong resale), then i believe rolex is a safe bet. another bet i believe is pam; but do do some research as im not 100% sure.

im sure there are other brands out there that hold their value relatively well. end of the day, willing buyer/willing seller.
      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
      Blue 6694
      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

highest resale value?

Hi,

Asking which brand has the highest resale value is almost like asking which stock has the highest potential. The thing is, you never really know - it depend on future demand, future supply and prices. And some affluent folks here may ask you not to waste your time but save up till you have 30-40K before you buy a Patek or collector's PAM.

But if you specify your budget (9K i suppose) and the type of watches you like (ie. sports, dress, chrono etc) , perhaps some of the bros here can give you some more definitive help. Historically, Rolex has been pretty safe bets - they hold value relatively well (with big disclaimers!!) and in some rare instances, some folks do make money. My personal definition of holding value well is if you can still retain 75% and above of the retail price if you sell within 2-3 years after buying. Many watches, including Omega, Tag, JLC all lose value rapidly (ie >30%) once used, even though they are all fine watches. In terms of holding value, Rolex, Panerai, AP, Patek (some disagree) are pretty good.

For your price range, my personal opinion is to go for the Rolex Submariner or GMT 2C. Daytona is also a popular choice but slightly above 13K for used. If you like big watches, Panerai is pretty popular right now and you probably need to go to the panerai forum to ask which watch as the range is rather large. In your list, I also like IWC and JLC alot but unfortunately, they don;t retain value very well unless you buy used.

Finally, the most important thing is once you decide on a brand and model, find the cheapest reliable source. That will help you to retain value best. Try not to buy online no matter what site - it's a 9K purchase and many wrong things can happen. The best strategy to date is to buy from Europe - with the low exchange rates and de-tax, you get the best value. If you can;t find anyone to buy it, you can search the garage section for bros who do that for you - at a fee of course.

Good luck in your search!!

Comment

Hey bro,

Thanks fr all the frank advice. I have decided on a used piece instead. somehow I jusy dont feel like wearing a rolex or panerai.dont know why. Just thought rolex is nt fr young professionals like late 20s or early 30s.

For AP, JLC n IWC, which model can I get best with budget nt exceeding 9k?used piece with warranty still..any suggestions?

Comment

Hey bro,

Thx fr all the frank advices.

Just dont feel like owning a rolex cause the image like not for young professional of late 20s n early 30s. Prefer IWC, JLC or AP.

I decided to get a used piece. Which model of AP, JLC or IWC can I get for less than 9k?

I saw some where that the resale values goes like this for IWC model: Big pilot>portugese 7 day PR>Inge

Any one can advise what is it like for AP n JLC?

Thanks..
            starynite

Comment

Here in Singapore, resale value is often linked to the demand from the market rather than @ what price you paid for your piece.
              For example, let say if you paid about $10k for a new ORIS compilcation watch, $10k for a new "FIVE MATCH STICK" explorer, when you tries to sell off @ $2k deduction for each make, the Rollie could become the first one to be snapped up by another buyer while the compication ORIS will still be stuck in the cupboard. ...
              That's the unfortunate fact here in SG.

I'm not bashing/pour cold water on other established names such as IWC, AP, JLC as well as other big time classic brands. Certain percentage of Singaporeans, when come to buy timepiece, tends to recognise Rolex and OMEGA(if i'm not wrong) as better investment rather than other makes with niche movements or worksmanship.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X