Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SINN U Black (LTD 399) - Black Submarine Steel Arrives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SINN U Black (LTD 399) - Black Submarine Steel Arrives!

Premiering tonight in Singapore...... The much anticipated Sinn U Black was launched!

Launch party pictures to follow, meantime here are the details on this amazing watch:

============================

The U Series: Diver’s Watches Made of Submarine Steel

When diving, whether professionally or for sport, people go to their limits. Therefore, they place extremely high demands on their technical equipment. An important factor for survival is the precise surveillance of time – for dive lengths, but even more decisive are the decompression phases when surfacing. Innovations in watchmaking of the last few years have concentrated on legibility, lasting functionality, and pressure resistance.
    After developing the successful EZM professional models, used among others by the GSG 9’s naval units, Sinn’s engineers have currently given themselves a new task: Developing diver’s watches whose quality in material and design make them even more resistant to outer influences under extreme conditions.

For professional divers who work in salt water, Sinn is now introducing an innovation in watch case materials. Regular stainless steel used for cases do not possess any real resistance to seawater. Strictly speaking, such cases are not suitable for continuous use in seawater. The PRE value (Pitting Resistance, a numerical value used to measure resistance to the corrosion of stainless steel) of regular stainless steel used for watch cases is usually a maximum of 26. For resistance to seawater, one would need a PRE value of at least 32 and up. Diver’s watches made of everyday stainless steel that come into regular contact with seawater should for this reason be rinsed off with freshwater after every dive.

Searching for a steel more suited to these higher quality demands, Sinn’s engineers finally found what they were looking for at the German submarine shipyards Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft and Nordseewerke Emden GmbH. And now smaller amounts of the original steel used in the current German submarine production is being supplied exclusively to Sinn for use in watchmaking by these shipyards’ steel supplier.

The outer hull of the currently most modern non-nuclear submarines in the world, the new submarine class 212, is created from this steel. The first two submarines, U31 and U32, are being tested, with the submarine flotilla’s first run taking place in the first half of 2005.

This submarine steel is not only exceptionally resistant to seawater (PRE value of up to 38), it also possesses the highest amount of anti-magnetic quality. Remnant magnetism, as is still displayed in regular high-quality 316 L watch case stainless steel (an effect of the so-called delta-ferrite contents), is not possible in the case of this submarine steel.

Another main advantage of this steel for watchmaking is its special affinity for tegimentation. The submarine steel can be hardened to about 1,500 Vickers, thereby raising the hardness of Sinn’s tegimented cases by about 300 Vickers. In comparison: The base hardness of regular stainless steel (316 L) is about 220 Vickers.
    This extreme hardness can however only be achieved with extreme technical difficulty. Since the rotating bezel of a professional diver’s watch must fulfill special demands in comparison to regular rotating bezels that are usually used for other purposes, this part of the case is serially surface hardened to 1,500 Vickers. For one, because the diver can hardly avoid bumping the ring on rocks, diving equipment, and other things when he or she is using it. For another, the ring’s legibility is important for survival, thus it is not to be read “detoured” through the time shown on the dial, but read directly using a previously set scale on the rotating bezel.

The rotating bezel’s minute scale used for reading the dive time is milled directly into the solid submarine steel. Thus nothing can fall out or get lost, such as the inlaid aluminum and plastic pieces often used, and safe legibility remains guaranteed.

In order to avoid the rotating bezel turning by accident when it is hit hard, it is not connected to the case by a spring mechanism as it is the usual fare. A newly developed assembly device holds it securely in place – and allows for maintenance and cleaning of the watch despite its secure assembly. The lavish ratchet assembly is a threefold ball bearing, slightly radially arranged ratchet bearing positions take it easy on the spur gear, secure the function and make sure that the ratchet positions are full, fixed, and secure.

Germanischer Lloyd, internationally in charge of inspecting sea boats and thus also for the pressure testing of submarines, is also currently testing Sinn models U1 and U2 for certification of pressure resistance of 100 bar (1000 m depth) for Sinn’s U1 and 200 bar (2000 m diving depth) for Sinn’s U2.

T e c h n i c a l I n f o r m a t i o n
    Model U Black - The Robust Diver’s Watch Made of Submarine Steel
    The Hour Glass Limited Edition 399 pieces

Movement:
    - ETA 2824-2
    - Mechanical movement
    - Automatic winding
    - 25 jewels
    - 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour
    - Shock-resistant according to DIN 8308
    - Anti-magnetic according to DIN 8309

Functions:
    - Hours, minutes, sweep seconds with stop-seconds
    - Date at 3 o’clock
    - Diver’s rotating bezel with luminous triangle

Case:
    - Model U Black with black hard coating
    - Back case engrave with U Black The Hour Glass limited 399
    - According to technical demands of diver’s norm DIN 8306
    - Submarine steel, pearl-polished, seawater resistant
    - Unremovable diver’s rotating bezel hardened to 1,500 HV
    - Flat sapphire crystal on the front, anti-reflective on both sides
    - Screwed-down case back made of submarine steel (inscriptions in German
    language)
    - Screwed-in crown with two gaskets in series
    - Water-resistant according to DIN 8310
    - Pressure-proof to 100 bar (= 1000 m water depth)
    - Safe below atmospheric pressure

Measurements:
    - ∅: 44 mm
    - Height at mid-watch: 14,3 mm
    - Lug width: 22 mm

Dial:
    - Black, markers inlaid with grey long-luminous special paint
    - Grey date display at 3 o’clock

Hands:
    - Grey hour and minute hands inlaid with long-luminous special paint
    - Grey sweep second hand

Strap:
    - Silicone rubber strap

Guarantee:
    - 2 years

Comment

hey dude!! Heard u were there but didn't get to meet yr acquaintance, the man who is my IWC shifu!! Hope to meet up with you next time!!

Had a swell of a time last nite!! A well organised event with abt 100 gals in black tube but unfortunately only 10% are worth a 2nd look... :P hope the other bros there had fun too!!!

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
      - GMT II
      - GMT IIc TT
      - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
      - Master Eight Days (1608420)
      - U1
      - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

oopsss forgot to mention abt the star though... I have rather mixed feelings about it... Its dark dial and overall face is not as impactful as the normal design imho, but yet it has a subtle attraction, in a mysterious sense... Dunno how best to describe it..

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
        - GMT IIc TT
        - U1
        - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

wow only 399 pieces, wonder if any bro here got his hands on one of them

Comment

this sinn u1 feels heavy on the wrist...
            Opportunities come once

Comment

how much are these going after discount?

limited to 399...i guess very difficult to get liao for those who never put deposit few months back....

Comment

Very impressive looking watch.Very tempting indeed.

Comment

still think tat the original one without coating with orange hand look much more nicer...spend few k to get a watch with no outstanding design or look might as well go for simple models..my 2 cents opinion

Comment

buy the normal u1 and save money...:P
                    the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
                    visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

Originally posted by ohlins View Post
                      buy the normal u1 and save money...:P
                      Hehehe

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

They told me that's its $3.6K nett.

Comment

c.m.i. but that's just my personal opinion.
                          Remnants of my irresponsibility:
                          "Foreign affections"
                          1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                          2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
                          3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
                          4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
                          What's NEXT?

Comment

Originally posted by ejaan View Post
                            They told me that's its $3.6K nett.
                            Is that confirmed? My SA couldn't confirm the discount when I placed an order... just mentioned the list price at $4500... so it's $4500 with 20% discount then.

Comment

yes it's confirm at the launch that list is $4500. THG sales mentioned max 20% discount due to LE. So $3600 is the discounted price.

Desired horologes ...

- GMT II
                              - GMT IIc TT
                              - U1
                              - IWC Aquatimer

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X